Main Menu

Rebelstar - Tactical Command for Gameboy Advance

Started by Tiplodocus, 29 November, 2006, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Picked this up last month in G-FORCE in Glasgow for a bargain £15-00.

Absolutely fantastic turn based tactical squad game.  Highlights so far include

- the shock I got when I discovered that robot drones aren't expendable
- the level where you have to defend a base against oncoming hordes of the green baddies (such good fun setting up the fields of fire)
- getting Ruby to be a stoke killer with the sniper rifle
- the shock I got when the Frylar start burning up the place with their laser blazer pistols.

It really is fantastic fun and proof, if further proof were needed, that graphics aint the be all and end all of games.

Also, I can't imagine it being half as much fun if translated into first or third person mode - the isometric maps are great (and remember of the first time I discovered them playing Tornado Low Level on my Spectrum).  But feel free to give me a recommendation if there are any titles out there (I quite enjoyed the little bit of REPUBLIC COMMANDO I played)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Bico

Battalion Wars on Gamecube is a spin-off from Advance Wars - third person, rather than top-down, and more action-oriented, but still good fun.
Mech Platoon for GBA is okay, in a sort of scaled-down Command and Conquer way.  Good luck finding it, though.  Fire Emblem on GBA is a turn-based RPG that has it's moments, and seems to be holding my interest so far - a bit basic, though.

Satanist

Isnt there a free online version of Lasersquad or did I just dream that? I cant check as work access is getting strict.

Anyhoo Lasersquad is much the same gameplay. I think its by the same guys but was released on the 8 bits. C64 versions best.

And theres Xcom - Enemy unknown as well.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

DavidXBrunt

Noisybast

Satanist - you're clearly deluded.
The Spectrum version was far superior!

But yeah, UFO: Enemy Unknown abd X-COM: Terror From The Deep were both ace.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Tiplodocus

This game continues to be great.

Loved the introduction of Psionic skills - still trying to figure them out.

And Ruby is now so totally nails that when a Zorn and three Ur dogs got the drop on her, she managed to pop caps in all of their asses with snapshots all in one round.

Zak's heavy weapon skills are really high but he continues to suck royally at everything. He can't hit a barn door. Is it Zak or are the heavy weapons just really inaccurate?

Fantastic.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!