Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 21/04/07, 6:35pm, 'DALEKS IN MANHATTEN'...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 21 April, 2007, 06:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

"It's just shockingly, depressingly, make-you-blushingly bad. IMO, of course. "

It's only your opinion, Spurrier, but you're wrong.  I resent the implication that Doctor Who fans are so starved for their fix of British-made sci-fi that they'll settle for the kind of turgid, dayglo, sentimental shit that the Sci-Fi Channel has been churning out for the last fifteen years and pretend it's better - and not actually significantly worse - than the stuff produced on the brainless, emotionally-dead conveyor belt of the American television production process.  Doctor Who is classic television produced by a genuine tv maverick, and we should count ourselves lucky that we're forced to pay for it.

Wils

AIEEE! Sarcasm overload! ;)

http://www.esplatter.com/images/am/explode.gif">

Leigh S

There was bad acting, and bad effects, but nothing the old series didnt dish up - better than most, but still missed a good few tricks there - still, better than anything series 2... nice idea for the Daleks, even if its all a bit uneven in execution.  Would have been nice if the Gangster guy had been charactersied in more of a way that reflected Dalek history - someone who was born weak, but had made themselves strong and determined to never be in a position of inferiority again - of course, in RTD world, exploring character means who fancies who, and are they gay.

There is a precedent for fitting a whole man into a Dalek casing that goes back all the way to the original Hartnell Dalek serial

The Amstor Computer

There is a precedent for fitting a whole man into a Dalek casing that goes back all the way to the original Hartnell Dalek serial

Heh, quite :-) Though if memory serves, didn't that casing have the gooey bits scooped out first?

Currently downloading this, as I missed it on Saturday...

The Adventurer

Just got done watching, personally I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, I thought it was good to see the Daleks in a non-season-ending showdown situation. As they seem to make a good "villain of the week" in their own right without a ton of meta-story baggage. I loved the visuals and I thought the setting was well put together in a storybook pulp adventure sense. I will say rampant cliche period accents were noticeable, but it didn't really detract from the over the top nature of the show.

I seriously do not get what the nay-sayers want from this show. This is pure, unadulterated adventure at it's TV finest.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Trout

I'm usually very forgiving of Dr Who, but I thought the very, very silly accents spoiled this one badly.

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it much, but - what the hell - it's only children's telly.

- Trout

House of Usher

I enjoyed it even if I didn't understand it. But when the Dalek 'merged' with the human, I was surprised to see it could gobble him up prior to baking at gas mark 4. Daleks are a lot more limber these days than they used to be when they were not much more than a jelly with a webbed claw and a few spirally flagella.
STRIKE !!!

Noisybast

Was it just me who was reminded of the Human/Kakkak hybrids from "Freaks" when the Human-Dalek emerged?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Keef Monkey

It was ok, but apart from the first episode I've not been enjoying this series as much. I'm always amazed that on seeing something like a man with the head of a pig not a single character said "it looks like a man with the head of a pig". It just seems strange that no-one would mention the pig aspect at any point. It's sweet that the dalek waits all day inside the elevator in case the bad man needs to see him.

Byron Virgo

"I'm always amazed that on seeing something like a man with the head of a pig not a single character said "it looks like a man with the head of a pig"."

See, myself, I think my reaction would be more along the lines of "HolyjesuswhatthefuckRUNAWAY!!"

TordelBack

I thought that was fun, and rather well put together - a very Old Who affair.  And I do like the Martha character - nice to see the Doctor with a non-Chav who is also a considerable pleasure to look at.