Main Menu

The Darkness 360...

Started by Keef Monkey, 03 July, 2007, 10:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

...is absolutely stunning. Anyone else playing this? Genuinely the first time a videogame has brought a tear to my eye. Mock me now, there'd be something wrong with the world if you didn't.

Satanist

I almost bought this the other day. The only reason I didnt is cause I have too many games I havent gave a fair go yet due to my Oblivion addiction. I will pick it up though.

Is it as open as Riddick was? Can you just wander about instead of shooting all the time?

Damn you Oblivion!!!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Never played Riddick, but I hear it's great and they're remaking it. Darkness is open-ish in that you can go anywhere you like more or less but there's always somewhere in particular to get to in order to progress the story. There's a subway station for getting to places but you can wander around the station chatting to people and completing little side missions for them, which is pretty different for an fps. Also because of your powers there's always a few different ways to approach firefights, I've found if you just play it like a normal fps and run in guns blazing you get deaded quite quickly. The whole atmosphere and the way the it's designed is pretty unique, can't recommend it enough. Only downside is the live games are so laggy they're unplayable but I'm sure they'll patch that up quicksmart.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I fancy it, but read a review to say there was a wonky save system that let you save only once a level. I don't like that, preferring either regular* check points or unlimited saves.

There is nothing worse than having one save, and using after what you THOUGHT was the levels big battle, only to find it is still to come and you are in bad shape.

* Note to Rebellion: regular = frequent and after most set pieces, buildings or boss battles.
Lock up your spoons!

Bico

My brother has gone dolally over this, but it just looks like a slightly-prettier Riddick, and a bit clippy.  I'm intrigued by the hours of movie footage, though - apparantly you can sit down and watch episodes of Flash Gordon on the in-game tv sets, or To Kill A Mockingbird.  I suppose it's just the next step up from GTA's radio stations.

Keef Monkey

The save system is basically just checkpoints and for the most part they're not too far apart, I haven't found myself getting annoyed with it(yet). One thing I will say is that when I bought it in Game I got a free comic which if you haven't followed the comics before spoils a couple of the game's twists. So basically if you're not a fan of the comics already don't read the free one 'til after you've played the game.

VampiraJen

it's coming to ps3 in a few weeks so i've been reading reviews.  some people are saying its brilliant.  some people are saying its shit.  i'm so confused

Richmond Clements

Woo-hoo! I've a review copy on the way!

Roger Godpleton

It's pretty good, I'm not too keen on the scary monster levels but the New York stuff is really atmospheric and tense. The main missions are quite linear and later on in the game you get a sort of smart bomb which solves too many problems IMO. I like it but I'll probably trade it in eventually.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Something Fishy

I love this.. fantastic game and nails the comics spot on.

The save system is fine by the way, regular saves.

Keef Monkey

Played a couple of online games yesterday that were more or less stable so it looks like they're sorting out the server problems. Finding the side missions quite a diversion, get the feeling I would have finished the game ages ago without them so they're very welcome. On the subject of the comics, I've read the Compendium which has everything from volume 1 and have been trying to find a trade paperback that collects the next batch of stories, anyone point me in the right direction? When I type it into Amazon it's more or less a dead end.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Keef Monkey

Finished the game, and it was solidly enjoyable through to the end. Plus I've started again already, 2nd play through is even more fun because I've got the knack of the powers more this time round. Thought I'd gotten all the collectables and side missions but seem to have missed a few, so the replay value is pretty decent. Great game. Anyone help with my previous comics question?

Richmond Clements

Had to stop playing it last night about half eleven.
Two reasons: I had to get up for work this morning, and the other being that I was in the house alone, and was getting scared.

SPOILERS AHEAD=

I'm currently in the no mans land level, and was freaked out when they guys I'd just shot started to get up again! Currently in some sort of bunker trying to get the inside door open...

WoD