Main Menu

megazine 290

Started by moly, 10 October, 2009, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: The monarch on 12 October, 2009, 02:38:43 PM
It really is canon fodder 2?!?

I've won....I expect the universe to end now
Imagine if you got hit by a bus three weeks on Friday!
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Photoshop Gurus:I was wondering if the cover for the 'Trade floppy' could have been photoshopped so we could see what was happening better? Or indeed would a one off new image have cost old Thargy too much?

Its funny but this image brought back to me why I stopped buying the Meg all those years ago, the muddy images and hard work of trying to remember what last's month muddy image 'might' have been pushed me past the limit. In the same way Dinosity (sp) nearly finished of the prog around that time too.
DDT did a job on me

The Monarch

Its amazing how an talented artists work can look crap due to brown paint

Delingpole

I'm with Moly and Dandontdare on this one. Thoroughly underwhelmed. Half the quality of tooth and twice the price.

Goaty

SmallBlueThing

Sorry? "Plus TANK GIRL, JUDGE DREDD..."?

Here's an idea: If Tank Girl's so bloody great that it gets billing ABOVE the lead strip, why not just release a Tank Girl comic? Then I wouldn't have to buy it. And the Meg would be better. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

SBT

Mike Gloady

What Steev said.

*Bloody one note 80s punk joke grumble moan whine.....*

Like Logan says: "LA PLACA RIFA!"
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

virgil

The Tank Girl/Booga strip was extra-specially choice this month.

More of the same please.

:P ;)
How do you know? You been there?

SimonBowland

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 October, 2009, 08:26:31 PM
Sorry? "Plus TANK GIRL, JUDGE DREDD..."?

Here's an idea: If Tank Girl's so bloody great that it gets billing ABOVE the lead strip, why not just release a Tank Girl comic? Then I wouldn't have to buy it. And the Meg would be better. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

SBT
Nice to see the boards are as negative and bitchy as always. Did you miss the giant-sized logo which contains the words "JUDGE DREDD"? With that in mind, you can hardly claim that TG is receiving billing "above the lead strip".

That aside, if Dredd appeared in the listing before Tank Girl, the "D" of the word "DREDD" would form a weird-looking tangent with the edge of the left-hand character's hair. It would also look unbalanced because both TANK GIRL and ARMITAGE are identical in length whereas JUDGE DREDD is much longer.

I think the first issue of the Tank Girl comic ships next month, by the way.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Bowlando on 14 October, 2009, 01:36:59 AM
Nice to see the boards are as negative and bitchy as always.

And the need for that was-? I fucking HATE Tank Girl. It's a waste of space- a nineties-timeloop of a strip that was mistakenly told it was funny nearly two decades ago, and like the pilled-out Bez-wannabee "can't go to raves anymore cos my doctor says it'll kill me" bore that it is, refuses to shut up and quietly die.

Rufus Dayglo's art pleases, of course, but like all strips with absolutely no substance beyond the art, that only goes so far.

That's not "negativity and bitchyness", that's my opinion after reading the Meg since issue one and 2000AD since prog one. And comics in general since before that. Sorry if I'm not buying into the culture that Tank Girl celebrates and being all "happy and jumpy up and downy about everything", but I loathe the strip. It hasn't even had the decency to grow out of the culture that formed it and do anything different.

I really resent paying a proportion of my fiver each month for it. With the reprints- all of which I already have- I'm buying for Dredd and Armitage and creator interviews, at the moment. Thankfully, despite it being Wednesday, my Meg wasn't in this morning. Do you know what? I breathed a sigh of relief at that and thought "stay of execution" then. It's not good when that happens.

SBT

TordelBack

I personally enjoy Tank Girl in the Meg a lot (although I'd prefer to see more Charlie's War), but I can see Steev's point - it's been around long enough for people to have formed a firm opinion, and it's the strip itself he's complaining about, not the creators.  I never enjoyed it in the Deadline days, when it was supposed to be 'hip', but now it's a fun sort of dinosaur with some good jokes and really lovely art.  Plus, it's not reprint, and from various comments by its creators, it's about as cheap.

Mike Gloady

Got to agree with TordelBack & Steev there.  Good points well made.  I'm another loather of Tank Girl personally and it only REALLY bothers me because of the small amount of original strip in the meg and the long turnover time.  If it were in the prog I wouldn't care so much (and the quality of the prog recently would more than prop up one story I'm not really feeling).

Cracking art though.  I mean really.  Makes me wish Rufus would cut loose on something I'd enjoy reading.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

virgil

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 October, 2009, 09:31:15 AM
Plus, it's not reprint, and from various comments by its creators, it's about as cheap.

exactly.

without cheap (cash-wise) interviews, reprints, and cut-price, non-Rebellion-licence strips, the Meg would be sunk. It would not be here any more.

this is not the golden era of 2000ad, money must be tight.

hats off to the editor for keeping a leaky boat afloat in such a professional manner.

my guess is they're holding out for the publicity of the new Dredd movie to boost sales.

meanwhile, perspective-wise, half the world dying in poverty, famine, and disease and here's a bunch of middle-aged men complaining violently about the contents of a comic?

Christ

James Stacey

Quote from: virgil on 14 October, 2009, 11:03:14 AM
meanwhile, perspective-wise, half the world dying in poverty, famine, and disease and here's a bunch of middle-aged men complaining violently about the contents of a comic?

Christ
True, but this is the place to do so. There are plenty of places to discuss world issues and I'm sure some boarders partake in those discussions too.

virgil

Quote from: James S on 14 October, 2009, 11:18:14 AM
Quote from: virgil on 14 October, 2009, 11:03:14 AM

Christ
True, but this is the place to do so. There are plenty of places to discuss world issues and I'm sure some boarders partake in those discussions too.

understood, world disasters aside, my point was about the ANGER in some of these posts.

it's a comic
is it really that important?

I'm outa here