Main Menu

Meg 292 - Xmas in Exile

Started by I, Cosh, 05 December, 2009, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

I absolutely loved three of the four stips in this Meg and kinda liked the other. As I stated in the prog review thread, I thought the Dredd was wonderful. Al Ewing's writing is absolutely brilliant, he and Wagner seem to be complimenting eachother so well, Al filling in the blanks as it were...

Tempest was a frikking hoot! From the Kill Bill suited monkeys to the sexy bird at the end I was hooked! Kung Fu Panda in there too, hillarious!

Nick Dyer's Mega City One was a treat, and Grant's script was a wonderful and well deserved tribute to an amazing artist. The splash page in particular was great. Top stuff!

As for Tanky, it was okay I suppose. The first part of this tale was great, really full of intrigue and mystery, the second left me a bit disappointed. I don't want to knock the strip as I do like it but it is quite frustrating seeing Rufus drawing this. It's like seeing Bolland doing Chronos Carnival. As I said previously, Dyer did an amazing job on the Cam Kennedy strip, imagine if our Rufus was doing something set during Blockmania or the Cursed Earth! It would be a dream come true for me! Still, Old Rufus is obviously having a ball playing in the Tankyverse so who are we to moan!?! I just wish he'd done more Dredd...

Don't want to end this on a dower. I thought it was a cracking Meg, worth a fiver of anyone's cash.

W. R. Logan

I'd write my thoughts about the Meg but besides Dredd I havent read it. It arrived I opened it, read Dredd and put it down on the bedside table and its still lying there.
In recent months the Meg just hasn't done it for me and at some point before the next issue I'll have worked my way through it.
In days of old the house would have been quiet as i poured through the Meg and no one would have dared disturb me whilst I was reading it, now i just lack thye energy to wade through all the stuff that I don't like and can't see changing.

Mike Gloady

Ewing's Dredd was, as they always are, amazing.  I love his take on things so much and it's fun that he's filling in elements that have only been skirted around before in Wagner's ToD stuff. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

radiator

QuoteIn days of old the house would have been quiet as i poured through the Meg

Can I just ask when this magical period was? When it was half filled with Necropolis? It's time as 'Britain's Hardest Comic' (when it was mostly reprints of US comics) or during volume 2 or 3 - the era of Harke and Burr, The Creep, Harmony, Sleaze n' Ryder, Maelstrom and some of the most poorly written and drawn Dredd we've ever seen?

amberkraken

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 10 December, 2009, 11:50:56 AM
QuoteEd Berridge might well have just written 'Frank Miller's run on Daredevil is a classic. But he's shit

And the problem with that is..?

I may be wrong, but you seem to be complaining that an opinion column contains an opinion you disagree with..?

No it's not that, it's the fact the column is called 'you should be reading', so personally I think whoever is writing it, should write something their passionate about, spill their little hearts over something they've read, loved and want to share. reading a column trying to get you to read something while simultaneously slagging it off doesn't work in my opinion.

Proudhuff

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2009, 10:15:27 AM

Can I just ask when this magical period was? When it was half filled with Necropolis? It's time as 'Britain's Hardest Comic' (when it was mostly reprints of US comics) or during volume 2 or 3 - the era of Harke and Burr, The Creep, Harmony, Sleaze n' Ryder, Maelstrom and some of the most poorly written and drawn Dredd we've ever seen?

Seconded.
DDT did a job on me

Mike Gloady

Volume 1 was pretty consistently good.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 11 December, 2009, 10:15:27 AM

Well said, Radiator!  The Meg may not be a bed of roses, but at least it has some flowers in it these days.  Also, I like that I'm still picking at the gristly bits a few weeks after I buy it.

The Monarch

James Stacey

Quote from: The monarch on 11 December, 2009, 03:49:32 PM
I liked harke and burr...
I could never work out what was going on through Dean Omstons art. The main characters appeared to be wading through mud or in a deep fog continually

Mike Gloady

Quote from: The monarch on 11 December, 2009, 03:49:32 PM
I liked harke and burr...
But you also like Canon Fodder, Indigo Prime, Tyranny Rex etc and so you've proved yourself wrong in one fell swoop!  [/sarkygit]

Byron Virgo

Quote from: amberkraken on 11 December, 2009, 10:50:10 AM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 10 December, 2009, 11:50:56 AM
QuoteEd Berridge might well have just written 'Frank Miller's run on Daredevil is a classic. But he's shit

And the problem with that is..?

I may be wrong, but you seem to be complaining that an opinion column contains an opinion you disagree with..?

No it's not that, it's the fact the column is called 'you should be reading', so personally I think whoever is writing it, should write something their passionate about, spill their little hearts over something they've read, loved and want to share. reading a column trying to get you to read something while simultaneously slagging it off doesn't work in my opinion.

Just to clarify, but I think the Daredevil work (which is what I was writing about) is bloody fantastic, some of the best funnybooks ever produced within the mainstream American comics industry, as is his work on Ronin, Dark Knight, Year One and Born Again; not so keen, though, on the public image that Frank Miller likes to project (something akin to 'Ayn-Rand-Punching-Osama-Bin-Laden-In-The-Goddamn-Face-With-The American-Flag'). I think around the time of Sin City, that Mickey Spilane style he favours just got out of hand and Frank seemed to start believing his own hype (I mean, the art's gorgeous, but the stories are just piffle, IMHO). Dark Knight Strikes Again was never going to be anything but a disappointment, as all belated sequels must be according to Caine's Law (so named after the anti-genius that was Jaws IV: The Revenge), whereas All star Batman and Robin was just beyond batshit crazy. And really slow. That said, I'd still rather read most anything by Miller than Dan Slott or whoever else they've plucked from the washroom to write superhero comics these days.

So, in conclusion, I do like Frank Miller, just not unconditionally. Kind of like Jesus, in that respect.

Mike Gloady

Caine's Law!  Like it.

I remember Spitting Image sketches when Michael Caine recieved a yellow pages through the letter box and immediately phoned his agent screaming "I'LL DO IT!"

W. R. Logan

As bad as people think some incarnations of the Meg have been, I used to always read it cover to cover, through the reprints, the stuff that may not be considered classic but I did read it generally in one go.
Now it just sits there looking up at me and I've just about given up with it, if it wasnt for the main Dredd story and interview It'd be off my christmas list and Mrs Logan could spend her money on something else.

soggy