Main Menu

Meg 292 - Xmas in Exile

Started by I, Cosh, 05 December, 2009, 01:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

I really liked Harke & Burr too, thought Dean Ormston's art suited the story perfectly and never had any trouble following what was going on.

I can, however, totally understand why it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. Got to be a contender for one of those Megazine graphic novels though.

Mike Gloady

Agreed.  Not brilliant by any means, but fun and a bit different.  And for me, anything Dean Ormston had anything to do with was a joy. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Just reread the Dredd Christmas tale - and I've suddenly realized how damn good it is! What a heart wrenching story with so much more emotion than the "Grumpy Dredd" strip we're used to getting. That final scene - breathtaking. Well done! Very well done!

Mike Gloady

I loved it.  Mr Ewing does fine work on Dredd once more.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

Another excellent Al Ewing Dredd. I'll give it another re-read, something I rarely do with comics these days.

[spoiler]Token mutie boyfriend; "You're blockin' the light, lady."[/spoiler] Love it.

The atmosphere reminds me of Alan Moore's Greyshirt stories, especially the [spoiler]clock striking twelve sequence[/spoiler].

Interesting John Ridgway interview. Can't say I was ever a fan of his art but interesting to hear his views. I like 2000AD for exactly the reasons that he doesn't (or didn't) like it.

TordelBack

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 13 December, 2009, 12:36:04 AM
The atmosphere reminds me of Alan Moore's Greyshirt stories

And by extension Will Eisner - good catch, Supersurfer.  In fact, the whole of Toleyville and its tragic inhabitants has a Dropsie Avenue feel to it, and the themes aren't a million miles from A Contract with God, albeit with more shooting.  Kultchur with yer Christmas!

HOO-HAA

I agree that the Al Ewing Dredd tale was a stand-out piece of writing. It simply oozed atmosphere and attitude. Probably the best Dredd I've read since I returned to the 2000AD fold.

Banners

Was surprised to see Giant. Wasn't he killed in Shimura a while back - or I have I got that completely wrong?

M@

TordelBack

What happens in Shimura stays in Shimura.  But no, Giant Jr. lives on. 

OT:  Was just reading my shiny new Casefiles 13 yesterday  - the Young Giant story really is great, despite me having read it and bought it innumerable times.  Carlos' art just leaps up at you out of that volume - along with Cam Kennedy's Cardboard CIty.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: vzzbux on 05 December, 2009, 09:07:12 PM
Wasn't expecting the poster, shall I bag it or put it up on Robbies wall.

Saw this advertised in Prog 2010, but no sign of any poster in my Meg. Unless it's embedded somewhere amongst the film reviews. Was it for subs- or UK readers-only gift?

Damn stoked to see Giant again. I've been wondering what has become off him in ousting of the Hershey's regime . Seconded to a one-dimensional cariacture of a judge? Awwww man, that's harsh.

& intentional or not, Oldham doesn't half read as a scathing critique of other writers' inability to understand Dredd. I can't help but be reminded of this advice given to a young Giant, "That's what makes us different from creeps like this -- creeps who enjoy it."
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

mR:sTaG

Quote from: moly on 07 December, 2009, 04:59:51 PM
thats it give up for £5.00 a month just for one judge dredd strip a month not enjoying the rest i had hoped the lost case files would be set before dredd had got his full eagle just going to stay with the weekly from now on

How about getting the e-version from clickwheel? "Only" £1.99?
Thrill-dabbler, started with Prog #964 on and off around the 1200-1500 mark.