Main Menu

MEG 294 : Law Vs Claw

Started by Buttonman, 30 January, 2010, 12:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Hurrah a shiny new Megazine with a lovely letters page and a most welcome Complete Nemesis. Only drawback is that Tom Proudfoot got some of his dazed ramblings in too.

Some cracking wolfie action in the lead Dredd and the best Lost case so far.

Oh and someone asks for 'Creep' to reprinted - I thought that had been sealed in concrete and chucked into the Atlantic?

I, Cosh

and best of all, no Tank Girl!
We never really die.

Trout

Hey, the Lost Cases is fairly picking up. That was pretty good stuff - emotive and twisty, with strong art. Nice.

Tempest is still packed with insane ideas and great storytelling. I'm not a Bob Burden fan and I think his story could have had a full page trimmed from it.

As for the end of the Robbie Morrison Dredd: ooooo...kay. Um, no. It doesn't work for me. I didn't find the characterisation believable - put it that way.

I'm saving Breathing Space for later. The Meg supplements are definitely getting better. I liked this the first time around.
I'm also looking forward to the Sean Phillips text piece.

A decent Meg.

- Trout

Tjm86

The meg does seem to be on a steady upward trajectory at the moment.    A reasonable Morrison Dredd that poses some questions about how Dredd copes with the ambivalent nature of the role of law in the cursed earth.  For my money it was wrapped up a bit quicker than it could have been.  A bit more depth and tension might have made for a more interesting story.  Certainly this period of enforced exile is providing an opportunity to flesh out the CE which for my money has been a highly underused resource for a loooong time. 

Byrne's twisted tale is his usual fare.  Not bad.  The ending did elicit a brief chuckle.

Tempest is finally growing on me.  Last series did not do much of anything, this one however has a bit more going for it.  Best line of the meg award goes here:  "permission to defecate, sir".  Elegantly put!

Had been a bit dubious about the last couple of lost cases and whether the series would deliver on its initial promise.  A better one but still not ticking all the boxes for me.  Maybe because the central conceit is so similar to that of the Dredd, sometimes the situation requires flexibility.  David Roach's artwork still tends to vary although not as badly as it did when he was drawing Anderson back in the day.

Still struggling to get excited about the reprint supplement [no, it is NOT a graphic novel!  ;) ] but would have to agree with the above comment that we have seen some better ones recently.  Since the rest is more worth the cover price than it has been for a while I am less inclined to grumble.

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 January, 2010, 01:04:54 PM
and best of all, no Tank Girl!
... and a second from me!

Endjinn

Breathing Space makes even less sense than I remember it making when it first appeared in the weekly.

Mattofthespurs

The best thing in the Meg this month was the Lost Case.
Enjoyed the Hellblazer and werewolf articles too.
Top stuff this month.

The Monarch

QuoteOh and someone asks for 'Creep' to reprinted - I thought that had been sealed in concrete and chucked into the Atlantic?

maybe we should consider that fate for whoever asked for creep to be reprinted

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 January, 2010, 12:44:15 PM

Hurrah a shiny new Megazine with a lovely letters page and a most welcome Complete Nemesis. Only drawback is that Tom Proudfoot got some of his dazed ramblings in too.

Zat zounds like a challenge, Care to 'ave a smell wagur?

DDT did a job on me

Van Dom

I'm not a Meg buyer but I just noticed there's a Bob Byrne tale in this one. Have they been moved over to the meg as a deliberate step or was this just to fill a slot. I quite enjoy the Twisted Tales  as an alternative to Future Shocks etc when we have a gap between series in the prog, and feel a bit betrayed by them running in the Meg!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Not all the way through the Meg yet, buta quick comment on the "Free" Graphic "Novel".   Breathing Space seems to me to have appeared just yesterday, but I enjoyed the re-read all in one place.  Very nicely atmospheric if still confusing in places.  

And then I turned the page.

That Dredd was appalling.  Just appalling.  Not only did Dredd come across like a vindictive moron, but Millar somehow screwed up the characters and concept of Mr Ben and the Shopkeeper.  That must take some doing.  Even Doherty, ultimately reliable Doherty, seemed to lose heart before the end.  Why would anyone bother reprinting this crap?

Colin Zeal

This was my first reading of Breathing Space and I'm glad it wasn't just me that was a bit confused in places. It seemed like it was missing a few panels that would have explained things a bit better. I'm glad they dropped the cape from the Marshall outfit though.

James Stacey

I hadn't read Breathing Space before either. Was a bit confused by the jumping about with no real indicator, but it all held together into a good story in the end.

vzzbux

Liked breathing space first time round and still liked the re read.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Trout

Breathing Space was a great idea for the reprint, not least because I enjoyed it a lot!

Cheers

- Trout

Buttonman

Did anyone notice that the penultimate two panels in the Lost case were a direct lift from the Apocalypse War? Just chck out the 'R' in 'Traitors' to be sure it isn't a coincidence. homage to the best epic ever - like it PJ.

AS for the wagur Tom you really shouldn't take all your methadone at once! Right it's on and happening on Channel here. Current score is One cracker to one filler - do keep up!