Main Menu

MEG 297 : NO TAG LINE JUST A GENERIC STRAP LINE

Started by Buttonman, 24 April, 2010, 12:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Aaarrgggh there'a Proudfoot!

Si Spurrier back on Dredd  and a Graveyard Shift Lost Case - more to follow when I've finished flushing the Dreddlines!

blixab

...and the last appearance of Tank Girl this issue. Strange I may actually miss this strip as some of the more recent ones have been kinda entertaining!!

mygrimmbrother

Been enjoying the Meg recently, but I'm also looking forward to the new wave of stories too.

radiator

Can't believe they went ahead and put Raptaur in the reprint - it's set to appear in the next Case Files volume (out in August) so it seems very odd to publish it twice in such a short space of time.

Haven't read the Dredd yet, but it's great to see Spurrier back. Actually quite sad to see the back of The Lost Cases - especially as its to be replaced with Black Museum (Zzzzzz). Hope there's a series two in the works.

Very much looking forward to the start of Lily Mackenzie next moth!

nev

I thought the Meg was rather poor this month.
The Dredd strip was mediocre in my opinion, didn't really like the comedic script.
I'm glad Tank Girl is over as it didn't really tickle my fancy.
However, I did enjoy Tempest; the story has been great with artwork to match, and a nice set up for future stories.
The Lost Cases have been particularly enjoyable parts of the Meg and this one did not disappoint with very nice artwork and a solid story.

Will read all the articles later as well as the reprinted mini graphic novel collection thingy.

Martin Howe

The finale of Tempest was a bit tame but the "next series" set-up looks interesting; given the location of the wounds, I'm guessing [spoiler]the man in the Judge uniform is the real Tempest, somehow healed/resurrected/whatever[/spoiler].
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

radiator

The Dredd was good fun, but imo went way over the top with the gore - in some ways it reminded me of Garth Ennis' sillier Dredd stuff. It was also a bit weird to see another X Men parody following Mutopia about 18 months ago.

House of Usher

Looks good overall, but I haven't read all of it yet. I enjoyed the retro stylings of Alan Grant and David Roach, but perversely I started with the text pieces. I like a meatier read these days - what a horrible metaphor from a vegetarian - so I am well up for words without pictures.

Berridge's X-Men review was brief, informative and elegantly written, even if the familiarity-denoting epithet 'dog,' dropped in here for tongue-in-cheek effect, is anachronistic for the '60s.

The Dave Gibbons interview by one Mike Molcher is beautifully written, allowing Dave Gibbons to tell his story without authorial intrusion, and is clearly the result of meticulous research and intelligent interviewing. The only thing I'd take issue with is the characterization of Ro-Busters as a satire on Thatcherite Britain. The dates just don't add up.
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Is it me or in most non Wagner Dredds other Judges get killed off too easy. Don't get me wrong the stories are good fun and well written but the Judges go through a rough fifteen years of intensive training to become the best of the best just to be off'ed so easily.
Tempest for one is a brilliant story but ISO 666 staff were cut down far too easily. For such a high risk prison surly they would have been the better of the desk jockeys.
Just an observation.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

Last night I read Spurrier's Judge Dredd story. I'm sure it's the funniest thing he's ever written!

:D

(and I don't mean just for the word 'ay-niss,' but that was pretty damn funny)

I agree about Judges getting killed off far too easily. I think it was justified in this case - the guy was, after all, the best there is at what he does *ahem*.

Outside the case of a really kick-ass villain, though, I don't think writers should readily kill off judges every time they show a bank robbery or a mugging. Judges have got to be seen to be tougher than some punk chancer with a bunt gun, especially with their shoot first ask questions later approach.
STRIKE !!!

Trout

The X-Men Dredd pastiche was good fun, and Tempest continues to kick butt. I enjoyed Tank Girl - even the panel when she seemed to be glaring out of the page at the critical readership - and I'll miss it a lot. Also, I'm always happy to see art by David Roach.

Not a bad Meg, overall.

- Trout

Proudhuff

Is it me or is there too little comment on this thread given its the other half of 2000ad?
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Yeah, yeah your letter was great Tom you big suck up. Golden Age? golden tongue up the ass!

COMMANDO FORCES

I also was thinking about the ease in which Judges die in the Big Meg, when Tempest recalled all those names and I now hope the bastard dies.

See what you did there Al, you turned me against him, thanks!