Main Menu

Colourist Submissions??

Started by DreddLock, 20 July, 2010, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I just experimented with different settings until I found a combination that worked.

I'd imagine its not that useful for stuff with a lot of crosshatching and delicate brushwork, but works great for me.

You use lasso tool for flatting? Really? I just go straight in with the brush. Generally I find the lasso tool fiddly and annoying - I use the pen tool for any selections I need.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 22 July, 2010, 12:52:24 PM
You use lasso tool for flatting? Really? I just go straight in with the brush. Generally I find the lasso tool fiddly and annoying - I use the pen tool for any selections I need.

I toyed with the idea of trying to make money from flatting to top my lettering income, which had dried up woefully at the start of the year.

All pro colourists say use the Lasso (with anti-aliasing off) and CMD-Backspace to fill with the FG colour. A great many insist that their flats are done by this method. If you start with the backmost object in a panel and work forwards, it's a fairly efficient process, but I could never get fast enough to make it pay.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

It'd be much simpler to use the pen tool - it's very easy to make mistakes with the lasso - very frustrating when you're trying to trace around a large, complex object. The pen tool is no slower to use, but crucially paths are editable so allows for a far, far greater control - you don't have to redo the whole thing if you make a mistake.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 22 July, 2010, 01:07:10 PM
It'd be much simpler to use the pen tool

Dave McCaig (and a lot of other colourists) says otherwise. If you hold down the ALT key when using the regular lasso, it turns into the polygon lasso, except that you can't close the selection with a double-click -- when you release the ALT key, the selection automatically closes itself.

I have no doubt your way works for you -- TBH, left to my own devices, I'd do flatting in Illustrator for much the same reasons that you outline -- but I was looking into doing this for the production-line method that US comics use, and if there's a way the pros want their flats doing, then seemed like the sensible thing to do...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DreddLock

Very good - you are working in a tonne of detail (the background to the Freddie Kruger image for example). I look forward to seeing more.

Thank you very much, yeah i try to add asmuch detail as possible, got a chucky drawing i'm sfinishing up that has the most detail i've ever done. As for the flatting i usually use the pen and fill tool for my flatting, i just trace around the edge of a section with the pen tool and then fill it in with the paint bucket, if you use this way never use the brush tool to do the outline cause it has a feathered edge and creates a gap on between the line and the paint bucket, the laso tool is useful for the flatting too though.
"Of All The Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most"

<object width="450" height="240"><param name="movie" value="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="id=140786485&width=1337" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://backend.