Main Menu

Bristol Comics Expo

Started by Alski, 09 May, 2011, 09:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Had a great time!

I really wasn't in the mood for it on Friday, in fact I wasn't looking forward to it at all, but it ended up being just what I needed!
Great to meet everyone, both old friends and new (I'll not do any name dropping).

Caught up with editors and made good progress on ongoing projects, as well as having some exciting new vistas possibly opening in the future.

Still very tired, but will not get a rest next weekend either... that's my rock and roll lifestyle...

stacey

Quote from: Matt Timson on 18 May, 2011, 08:49:40 AM
I WILL BRING THE FURY, MUNCHKIN!

Ha that reminds me of "Where is the A Man?", me "gone to bed" Matt, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I am filled with impotent fury!"  That made me laugh so much.

Liz - I knew someone had taken a photo, couldn't remember who it was though, doh! :-D heheh

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 May, 2011, 01:07:58 PM
Oh, and I must confirm that Mike Carrol's sparkly Batman top makes him look 100% heterosexual. Honest.

Er... Um... You spelled my name wrong, so maybe that wasn't me... (Whew: got out of that one!)

Quote from: Lady Festina on 17 May, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
- Thanks to Mike Carroll and the lovely Leonie for taking the time to talk to Conor and I outside the toilets at the Mercure. A great conversation despite the location....

It was an honour and a pleasure to finally meet you both! And an equal pleasure to be allowed to peruse Conor's stunning portfolio.

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 17 May, 2011, 11:38:04 PM
Quote from: Lady Festina on 17 May, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
- Thanks to Mike Carroll and the lovely Leonie for taking the time to talk to Conor and I outside the toilets at the Mercure. A great conversation despite the location....

And I rudely interrupted that conversation to say hello.

And then you disappeared before we could catch up with you! Later, I began to wonder whether you were there at all, or if I'd just imagined it...

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 May, 2011, 10:17:36 AM
(I'll not do any name dropping).

Hah! You were certainly quick enough to drop names when we were having dinner with John Higgins and Rick Veitch!

It was a great event... So many highlights I can't list them all here. But the highest highlight had to be spending time with the adorable Sasha Tanner...

-- Mike

Dandontdare

Was that the little girl that was dressed as Wonder Woman? I'm not normally sentimental but that was so cute!

Apologies for mispelling your name!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 May, 2011, 12:06:19 PM
Was that the little girl that was dressed as Wonder Woman? I'm not normally sentimental but that was so cute!

Apologies for mispelling your name!

Yup- Steve 'Time Bomb Comics' Tanner and Suzanne's daughter. She is impossibly cute.

QuoteHah! You were certainly quick enough to drop names when we were having dinner with John Higgins and Rick Veitch!

Ba-dum TISH!

Dunk!

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 May, 2011, 12:06:19 PM
Was that the little girl that was dressed as Wonder Woman?

I'm overly sentimental, and that was SO cute.
"Trust we"

Proudhuff

Tag team heaven, WWF's lost is comics gain
DDT did a job on me

Kehaar

Apparently I had a good time...shame I did meet that many  boarders..
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk

House of Usher

I enjoyed the convention. I think I must've been there for not much more than 4 hours! I hadn't been looking forward to it as much as I should have been (not enough sleep lately, very little spare cash; a nonetheless enjoyable mid-week, cross-country visit to see family had worn me out as well). My Strontium Dog armour required some minor repairs that I hadn't been able to find the time to do until the morning of the convention so I didn't get there until after lunch. Aaargh. I'm retiring it now, so I'll more than likely be wearing just normal clothing to comics get-togethers next year and will have more time to stroll around and meet people.

I was glad to meet 2000ad fans I hadn't met before as well as some convention regulars I either knew from previous Bristol Expos or had met at the one in Cardiff. Some people I recognized on sight included Conor and Liz, Locusts of Death, Ben Clark, Stacey Whittle, Vicky, Rich, Bolt-01, Owen, Dave Thomson, Nick Dyer and Wakefield Carter. Deborah and I were enchanted to meet Wake's daughter Freya, who is a real star and actually knew who Johnny Alpha is (she asked Deborah, who was dressed as Octobriana, "are you supposed to be somebody as well?").
:D

I also met a few people I know from here whose pictures I don't recall having seen before: The Emperor, Kerrin and DanDontDare among others. I only recognized Jim Campbell from his exhibitor's name badge. It was a pleasure to meet you all. On the train home I sat opposite David Roach and talked about comic book art and got a preview of some of his Judge Dredd pages.

I picked up various small press titles. I got the latest from FutureQuake Press, including Zarjaz and Dogbreath; 'Zooad' - my copy had two blank pages in it !!; Dr WTF??; Sgt. Mike Battle; Cross; Dead Queen Detectives vol.2 - there seemed to be hundreds of lavishly produced and very individual self-published comics on offer, and far more than my budget would run to, alas.

I had to leave at 6.30pm because I had rabbits loose in the garden that needed to be got in before dark. I was home in time to watch the whole of Eurovision. Here's to the blandness of the Azerbaijan entry. The only three I saw as contenders were Sweden, Denmark and Ireland.
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Kehaar on 18 May, 2011, 04:29:13 PM

haha! I did wonder if you would recall any of the (admittedly short) conversation we had...

Matt Timson

Quote from: stacey on 18 May, 2011, 11:28:12 AM
Quote from: Matt Timson on 18 May, 2011, 08:49:40 AM
I WILL BRING THE FURY, MUNCHKIN!

Ha that reminds me of "Where is the A Man?", me "gone to bed" Matt, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I am filled with impotent fury!"  That made me laugh so much.

To be fair, 'impotent fury' is probably my default setting.

I should also add that I still have no memory of this event- but I also have no doubt that it's true.

:D
Pffft...

Kehaar

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 May, 2011, 06:04:41 PM

haha! I did wonder if you would recall any of the (admittedly short) conversation we had...

I remember the sober one - that's gotta count for points right ?
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Kehaar on 19 May, 2011, 09:01:01 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 May, 2011, 06:04:41 PM
Apparently I had a good time...shame I did meet that many  boarders..

I remember the sober one - that's gotta count for points right ?

It does indeed!
And you did seem chuffed to have identified me as someone you should be able to identify when we spoke late on Saturday night.

Lady Festina

Quote from: stacey on 18 May, 2011, 11:28:12 AM
Liz - I knew someone had taken a photo, couldn't remember who it was though, doh! :-D heheh

Oddly enough, no-one has come forward with any offer, request or bribe for the photo of your decolletage. I'll just have to keep it for meself.

;)

bluemeanie

Quote from: Lady Festina on 19 May, 2011, 02:27:48 PM
Oddly enough, no-one has come forward with any offer, request or bribe for the photo of your decolletage. I'll just have to keep it for meself.

;)

Luckily I picked them up on Google Earth later that evening and took a screenshot
::)