Main Menu

Comic book sequentials (critques most welcome)

Started by Nick Shepherd, 22 May, 2011, 04:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

I'd agree with the critiques you've gotten so far.

You just can't do enough life drawing. Seriously. That's advice for any artist who's going to take on the human form. There's always something new to learn and not just in terms of the actual anatomy but gestures and poses. I don't do nearly enough and getting my figures to do what I want them to do usually involves much wailing and gnashing of teeth. The cats run for cover!

I'd also agree that you should try and mix up your 'camera angles' a bit more. It's not that the angles you've chosen are bad or wrong but they're very safe and not very dynamic. It's old now and it's very basic but I can't recommend 'How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way' enough simply for the chapter on how to make your comic pages look more dramatic and effective. Great stuff.

In saying that though, I really like the textures you've created with your cross-hatching. It reminds me a lot of Bryan Talbot's work and I'd suggest taking a good look at how he uses his inks' line weight and how he approaches his rendering so the important elements in each panel don't get lost in the background.

Keep it up!!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Nick Shepherd

Thanks mate.
I do get stuck into life drawing and anatomy.  There are a couple of anatomy books I've gotton into.  One is by Gottfriet Bammes and the other is George Bridgman
Forgiveness is a 6 gun. Teach me how to shoot.  The truth is like a moving target.  Forgiveness is a 6 gun!!!

Nick Shepherd

Forgiveness is a 6 gun. Teach me how to shoot.  The truth is like a moving target.  Forgiveness is a 6 gun!!!

Nick Shepherd

Here is some drawings of character designs I have done for a new comicbook I am working on.  I have been experimenting with the pantone markers.

DeadSpiderEye

I think stuff is brilliant, If I was handing jobs out I'd give you one tomorrow. There's some really impressive tonal work that builds a great atmosphere. I see some comments about anatomy, I see it my self, yeah one two figures look a bit awkward but that's something that'll iron out. One thing I would think about is I think the penwork is too fine for a lot of paper stock, I dunno though I maybe a bit out date with that but I favour a bolder penstyle anyway

Nick Shepherd

Heya, thanks for the positive feedback!
yeah, I have been working on anatomy alot for the last few months and doing tonal studys so that I can represent the forms and figures in my work more economically.  The new comic I am working on will be done in pantone markers.  I should be able to post it soon.