Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Been awhile since I check in these parts, simply on the grounds I don't tend to buy a lot of monthlies anymore. Space is on a premium so almost always wait on a paperback if it's forthcoming, and that wouldn't make for very interesting reading I'm sure.
What I am (at least hoping) to do today is a few brief write ups on 5 of my favourite comics, ala Colins exemplary thread on such matters (you know where to look).
Going to break this up into different posts because I'm not insane enough to write an entire essay in one go, it's Sunday morning lets keep this fun.

Anyway, opening with a hum-dinger...

STEEL BALL RUN (aka JOJOS BIZARRE ADVENTURE PART 7)

Keywords: Western, Biblical, Dinosaurs, Conspiracy

Creator: Hirohiko Araki

Publisher: Viz Media...I assume, more on that below.

No. of Issues: 95 Chapters in 24 Volumes
Date of Publication: 2004-2011
Last read: 2015

Copyright: Hirohiko Araki & Lucky Land Communications, Shueisha

OK, bit of background work needed on this one. Araki first started publishing Jojos Bizarre Adventure in Weekly Shonen Jump in 1987 with it's gothic vampire/solar powered martial arts Victoriana roots in Part 1: Phantom Blood. He published the comic weekly for 16 years in the magazine spanning 8 generations of the Joestar family from the late 1800's to the (then) futuristic 2010s. There's the WW2 Doc Savage meets the super vampires antics of Part 2: Battle Tendency, the globe trotting monster of the week shenanigans of Part 3: Stardust Crusaders, a supernatural murder mystery caper in Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable, a mafioso turf war through Italy in Part 5: Golden Wind and concluding in the Floridina prison(break) system of Part 6: Stone Ocean. It was at this point Araki felt constrained yet contented by the world he had created, and at the height of it's success concluded the saga in the most definitive way I think a work of fiction can be.
A few months later, after a well deserved rest, he started on the new saga which is still ongoing at the time of writing.
With all this being said, you can absolutely read STEEL BALL RUN without any familiarity with the previous instalments, indeed Araki intended it to be so, describing the reboot as his own "Connery to Moore" handover (sorry Lazenby). The 'Part 7' and inclusion under the Jojo banner is purely a legacy and branding move. Also, it's his comic so he do what he wants, really. Indeed, I could even argue reading Part 7 prior to the original saga gives a unique frame of reference for Arakis early development displayed in the first 6 parts all that more enriching.

Steel Ball Run is frankly unlike any other comic ever written. After 2 decades in the industry Araki knew exactly what he was about and decided to make a 10 year long epic (the transfer to a monthly publication, Ultra Jump, is partly to answer for this) about a cross continental horse race that becomes a treasure hunt for the bisected and scattered remains of Jesus Christ to undermine a conspiracy headed by the incumbent president of the United States.
Araki would reintroduce broad concepts from previous parts but whole cloth recontextualised to this new world and time, being a combat oriented series utilises these concepts to create 3rd dimension puzzles for the wide cast of characters to ensnare one another in, a constant struggle of one-upmanship that forces extreme character development to emerge. These 'powers' are manifestations of each characters true soul and spirit, and each conflict becomes a very literal battle of wills to survive and complete the race. Entire alternative philosophical perspectives gestate during the trail, it's a real treat to get invested in.

Oh, and I suppose I should probably address the art.
Yeah, it's GOOD. Araki was at the height of his game when he started and somehow only got BETTER. If I could level one complaint it's that he started to suffer from a bit of same-face come it's end, an issue he quickly addressed come the debut of the sequel, Part 8: Jojolion.

Where to Find it: You can't legally!...Yet. Viz Media have been releasing a brilliant selection of HC editions for the Jojo saga since 2013, with Part 6 starting publication in the last few months. Since 2019, they've been going through each Part of the series at the rate of about 9 volumes every 2 years, meaning Steel Ball Run is almost assuredly going to see print in late 2026/early 2027 which is...insane. If you'd asked me if this strange esoteric series would ever get such treatment a decade ago I'd have said you where mad. Brilliant, but mad. What a time.

Learn More:

Look to wikipedia, if you so wish.

And uuhh...Thats it. I'm sure there are some excellent essays on the series out there but finding gold in the shrapnel fields of manga online discourse is...tough.
Just read the series yourself and have fun with it.

Colin YNWA

Hold on, hold on Zac - don't be teasing me with dinosaurs in the keywords and then don't mention dinosaurs in the write up!

I was tempted to look into this as my manga reading is very slight and I'm always wondering what to try to break that - mind I've got a Manga humble bundle working its way up the reading list so we'll get there at some point... but not out until 2026 or 7... mind I might have chipped away at that reading list so maybe by then!

Nice work Zac! More please.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 January, 2024, 10:04:08 PMHold on, hold on Zac - don't be teasing me with dinosaurs in the keywords and then don't mention dinosaurs in the write up!

Oh Colin, the Dinosaurs are there in the comic I can assure you, but revealing anymore would be a spoiler and a disservice.

Glad you liked the brief write up, and hopefully you do consider giving SBR a read when it's finally localised. I know you're fair fond of a western and as someone with a lot of love for Allred and Shakey Kane, I suspect Arakis eccentricates might gel with you quite nicely.

Jojo as a series also has this amusing quirk of dabbling in the authors audiophilia, so many of its characters and concepts are named directly after musical acts. Some can slip under the net of plausible deniability. DIO, Ton Petty, Mike O., yet others have to be renamed when translated to avoid copyright strikes. White Album is White Snow, Bad Company becomes WORSE Company, and possibly the funniest one is in SBR itself.
Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap (aka D4C) becomes...Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price. Which is some truly legendary trolling.
Adds precious little to the plot, mind you, but it's a lot of fun.

Hawkmumbler

Well I made a brief outline on another write up, hopefully get it fleshed out tomorrow evening or over the weekend so more inane wittering's for all I'm afraid.
While filtering through stuff I wanted to give the treatment I decided to compile a list of stuff that won't make the cut. These are all works that I consider personal favourites but for one reason or another couldn't find the words to write more than 'yeah, this is pretty sick, you should read it'.
So consider it a general 'whats-what', linked are where to buy and assorted keywords for the curious.

COPRA by Michel Fiffe, 2014 to Present (Ongoing, 6 collected volumes)
Keywords: Antihero, Metaphysical, Action, Surrealism

CHAINSAW MAN by Fujimoto Tatsuki, 2018 to Present (Ongoing, 16 translated volumes at time of writing)
Keywords: Supernatural, Action, Chainsaw Puppy (don't ask), NSFW

HINTERKIND by Ian Edginton & Francesco Trifogli, 2013 to 2015 (3 collected volumes)
Keywords: 2000AD-Adjacent, High Fantasy, Post-Apoc, Gone-Too-Soon

MONSTER by Naoki Urasawa, 1994-2001 (9 translated and collected volumes, 'Perfect Edition' advised)
Keywords: Mystery, Psycho-Thriller, Krimini, Brechtian

ZENITH By Grant Morrison and Steve Ye-I DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE!

CORTO MALTESE by Hugo Pratt, 1967 to 1989 (12 collected volumes by Euro Comics)
Keywords: Globe Trotting, Folklore, Numinous, Period Drama

DEVILMAN by Go Nagai, 1971 to 1972 (2 collected and translated hardcover editions)
Keywords: Horror, Antihero, Apocryphal, Time Travel

SPOOKS/W.E.S.T by Xavier Dorison, Fabien Nury, & Christine Rossi, 2003 to 2011 (6 volumes)
Keywords: Western, Horror, Noir, Biblical

SPACE PIRATE CAPTAIN HARLOCK by Leiji Matsumoto, 1977 to 1979 93 collected and translated hardcover editions)
Keywords: Space Opera, Piracy, Political Thriller, GOAT

BACCHUS by Eddie Campbell, 1987 to 1995
Keywords: Barfly, Mythological, Gaiman-Wishes-He-Could, Noir

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 February, 2024, 09:35:06 PMSPACE PIRATE CAPTAIN HARLOCK by Leiji Matsumoto, 1977 to 1979 93 collected and translated hardcover editions)

Obviously, thats not 93 volumes but an open brackets typo caught too late.
Ignore me and read Harlock.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 February, 2024, 09:35:06 PMCOPRA by Michel Fiffe, 2014 to Present (Ongoing, 6 collected volumes)
Keywords: Antihero, Metaphysical, Action, Surrealism

CHAINSAW MAN by Fujimoto Tatsuki, 2018 to Present (Ongoing, 16 translated volumes at time of writing)
Keywords: Supernatural, Action, Chainsaw Puppy (don't ask), NSFW

HINTERKIND by Ian Edginton & Francesco Trifogli, 2013 to 2015 (3 collected volumes)
Keywords: 2000AD-Adjacent, High Fantasy, Post-Apoc, Gone-Too-Soon

MONSTER by Naoki Urasawa, 1994-2001 (9 translated and collected volumes, 'Perfect Edition' advised)
Keywords: Mystery, Psycho-Thriller, Krimini, Brechtian

ZENITH By Grant Morrison and Steve Ye-I DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS ONE!

CORTO MALTESE by Hugo Pratt, 1967 to 1989 (12 collected volumes by Euro Comics)
Keywords: Globe Trotting, Folklore, Numinous, Period Drama

DEVILMAN by Go Nagai, 1971 to 1972 (2 collected and translated hardcover editions)
Keywords: Horror, Antihero, Apocryphal, Time Travel

SPOOKS/W.E.S.T by Xavier Dorison, Fabien Nury, & Christine Rossi, 2003 to 2011 (6 volumes)
Keywords: Western, Horror, Noir, Biblical

SPACE PIRATE CAPTAIN HARLOCK by Leiji Matsumoto, 1977 to 1979 93 collected and translated hardcover editions)

BACCHUS by Eddie Campbell, 1987 to 1995
Keywords: Barfly, Mythological, Gaiman-Wishes-He-Could, Noir

Great list! Three of those will be appearing pretty high on my list and I've read and enjoyed a couple of the others which strongly suggests I need to check out the one's I've not read as I know we have similar tastes often.

The Girl Child raved about the anima of Chainsaw man so maybe I need to give that a go?

Tjm86

Had a quick look at that Hinterkind.  That would most certainly not be out of place in Tooth.  In fact, there are similarities with quite a few series we've seen in recent years.  Shades of Kingdom, Enemy Earth, Kingmaker, Meltdown Man (okay, maybe not so recent there!) ... It looks like its well worth a gander though.

Barrington Boots

I loathed Hinterkind. Copra, however, is great. Looking forward to hearing about stuff I don't know!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

DOROHEDORO

Keywords: Surrealism, Comedy, Cooking, 'A Wizard Did It'

Creator: Q Hayashida

Publisher: Viz Media

No. of Issues: 23 Volumes
Date of Publication: 2000 - 2018
Last read: 2020

& BONUS (!)

DAI DARK

Keywords: Space Opera, Comedy, Absurdist, 'I Have no Balls, and I Must Scream'

Creator: Q Hayashida

Publisher: Seven Seas

No. of Issues: 7 Volumes (Ongoing)
Date of Publication: 2019 - Present
Last read: 2024

Aaahh, lets just get the remaining manga I wanted to talk about out of the way for the people who don't care about this sort of thing, next time I plan to cover something...a little closer to home.

We set our scene in the dismal realm of the 'Hole', a purgatorial underworld of a sorts that exists on the flipside of the world of Sorcerers. Living in squalid conditions, the humans of Hole are frequently beset by marauding hordes of talking sewer cockroaches and daily uprisings of the undead, if they're lucky, lest the organized crime syndicates ran  by the unscrupulous sorcerers' abduct them for the illicit organ black market. It's in reaction to these threats that local amnesiac, herpetologically challenged thug caiman and dumpling chef Nikaido begin a campaign of vigilante justice. This decision sends them down a harrowing path of drug running for a sorcerer overlord known only as "En", the cutthroat world of competitive meat pie baking, and spiralling into the pits of hell itself.

DOROHEDORO is very much the passion project of Hayashidas career, spanning the lions share of her ongoing tenure in the industry. Much like Araki previously, she clearly has a a deep affinity for the metaphysical playroom she has created and will revel in the opportunity to do whatever she wants with it. What I described above? Thats the introductory arc, to get into some of the delirious stuff of later arcs would be a spoiler and a disservice. Yet throughout all the craziness, and the bloodshed and vulgarity, it manages the seeming impossible in a world populated by characters that are truly larger than life, and wears its heart on its sleeve all throughout. There are moments of genuine humanity and love that have not left me since my first readthrough a few years back

The art progression in DOROHEDORO is a delight, never short of engrossing I can only describe Hayashidas evolution on an aesthetic and dynamic level as something akin to early Bisley in the stages of the story, before gestating into something wholly her own beast, at times frankly only being comparable to the wood cuttings of Dores Divine Comedy. At times dripping in a sort of grimy decadency, at others slick and visceral, always fluid and dynamic. One of those occasions where watching the growth of a singular creative voice is just as rewarding as the story being told itself.

Where to Find it: At the time of writing all 23 volumes have been translated and are in print from the usual suspects each at a reasonable price.

BONUS!

While I was at it, I thought i'd briefly plug Hayashida's follow-up, currently ongoing dark fantasy series DAI DARK. It is, similarly, wonderful. Following a rag-tag band of terrorists and misfits called 'The Four Little Shits' in a dog-eat-dog dystopic cosmos where the currency is weighed in the value of your own soul, boiled down into 'bones'. On the run, and constantly with their backs up against the wall, even near invulnerable demiurges can't catch a break to eat some spaghetti and meatballs under capitalism.
Very early days for this one, but I'm enjoying it very much! Check in in...erm, 2037 when it's wrapped up for my full thoughts!
Likewise can be found in all the usual places.

[All images Copyright of Q Hayashida.]

Vector14

There's a bit of a Nemesis feel to some of that Dorohedoro art.
The typical big eyed manga look of the human character looks a big jarring to me alongside the creature designs though. In any case I think I'll check this out. Sounds cool.

Colin YNWA

Is it me or is there something of Simon Davis in the colour images there? Sounds interesting Zac and that 'cityscape' is sublime.

Colin YNWA

I'm getting a bit slap dash at writing up my current reading so he's a quick summary of my latest haul a week or so after reading.

Power Pack - Into the Storm 1 provides a great example of the differences between how 'classic' era superhero comics used simple craft to introduce (or to me re-introduce) concepts and character. Loved the original Louise Simonson June Brigman series and this seems to fall right out of that.

Hellblazer - Dead in America 1 similarly returns us to a series I enjoyed, Si Spurrier and Aaron Campbell's Hellblazer series. Its not quite as clean in reintroducing things being edgier and throwing so much in, but that's likely a factor of Hellblazer being a very different comic to Power Pack. We'll see how this one develops.

Avengers Inc 5 ends this series far to soon, I'll judge this when read in context with Al Ewings other series in the Hank Pym, Jan Van Dyne corner of the Marvel universe.

Titans 7 is a great example of how crossovers can derail a very good mainstream comic alas.

Alien 3 a good example of how franchise fiction feels an urge to make things bigger and nastier to make it better and it doesn't need to be. Just use the Alien xenomorphs in interesting ways their's no need to twist them into something larger!

Flash 5 is a real hit in a series that has taken me some time to get into. If it continues like this I'll be sticking around.

The Weather Man (Vol.3) 1 its been gone so long I need to re-read to judge fairly - I might set these aside until I get to that read of the first 2 volumes.

What's the furthest Place from Here? 17 still out there and also needing a re-read maybe.

Two contrasting Tom King titles The Penguin 6 not really working as well as it might as it tries to be all dark and edgy. Where a Wonder Woman 5 is punch the air joyous.

As is Daredevil 5 with mh art but otherwise possibly the most fun this series has been to date with She Hulk guest starring brilliantly.

Black Hammer - The End 5 seems to leave us with so much to do with only 1 issue to go I believe.

Then to actual ending Rumpus Room 5 fantastically concluded yet another Mark Russell great mini but can't compare to Book of the Haul The Enfield Gang Massacre 6 which give a brilliantly harrowing conclusion to this fantastic My Texas Blood diversion.

Colin YNWA

Mini haul which sees two comics fall in what might turn into a mini cull (I'm getting rid of a load from my collection too as my reading habits take their next shift.

Both Venom (30) and any more Alien (4) comics aren't worth my time anymore.

To be honest if Pine and Merrimac (2) wasn't just a four mini I reckon it'd be gone now.

Curiously I also decided to order Thundercat 1 cos I thought it might surprise me... it didn't so this one is on a short rope already!

So the only winner in this mini haul was Love Everlasting which was great. I think I need to get mnore decerning again!