Main Menu

How do you get from Judges to Judge Dredd?

Started by JudgeJudi, 24 October, 2020, 10:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeJudi

So I've read all of the Judges books and I'm currently reading the Young Dredd books.

The concept is fine (the books themselves are variable in content) - My problem is that I cannot see how the Judges books would end up with the Judge Dredd world?

The basic details and references all work but as written the world of Judges is just too mundane to lead to Mega-city one and what we see in the comics. Sure you get the odd nod like psi-powers but nothing particularly weird.

They are a good look forward of the world of 2040 from the position of 2020 but I'm not convinced they fit with what Megacity one should look like in the 2080s or 2090s based on what was created in 1977.

To give a simple example, the most recent Judges book (The Patriots) is set in 2047. In theory, by 2080, not only are space colonies common but we've had enough time to fight space wars and have veterans of said wars! I cannot see that happening based on what is in the Judges books.

So you could end up with Judge Dredd but I think it would more resemble the mundane (but very good) Universe we see in the more recent Dredd film than comic Dredd.

Thoughts?

Richard

It's something they've done deliberately, and there are more books to come which will fill in the gap, so I imagine this is something they've thought about.