Main Menu

Prog 2327 - Blood Ties

Started by broodblik, 12 April, 2023, 04:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

My only slight complaint with the Dredd story is that we had Leon Skum so soon after Leon Tusk in Noam Chimpsky. Not a big deal, but it feels like the sort of thing that editorial should have picked up on.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Talking of tanks: this Russian prototype (the Tsar) failed to get off the ground (or, rather, out of the bog):

Talking of Russians, this was really one of their planes - the Maxim Gorky. Eight engines, which were so prone to running issues that the flight crew included engineers who could fix them mid-flight. You can see their little cupolas on the wings where they could keep an eye on the props:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bad City Blue

Dredd was ok, lift scene made it

Durham red is shaping up very nicely, and the art is ace
Rogue Trooper is a time travel story as it's probably the only way Ennis would entertain the idea. I'm liking it, though, and Paddy goddard is amazing
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 14 April, 2023, 08:51:43 PMRogue Trooper is a time travel story as it's probably the only way Ennis would entertain the idea.

I'd be hesitant to call the twist/spin on the series this early — firstly, because time travel has been absent from the Rogue universe, despite being quite happy to chew its way through SF tropes, and, secondly, because thirteen (?) episodes of Rogue comprehensively out-gunning literally anything the battlefields of WWI France can throw at him would seem (to me) to lack dramatic tension. I suspect the Ennis droid might have something left in the way of a twist or two yet.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Quote from: nxylas on 13 April, 2023, 02:53:48 PMMy only slight complaint with the Dredd story is that we had Leon Skum so soon after Leon Tusk in Noam Chimpsky. Not a big deal, but it feels like the sort of thing that editorial should have picked up on.

I was going to say it's one of the cleverest names of a character in Dredd ever, given it is an anagram whereas Leon Tusk isn't.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 April, 2023, 11:58:37 PMtime travel has been absent from the Rogue universe, despite being quite happy to chew its way through SF tropes,

There was the "Timeslip" story from Argos 348-9.  Admittedly a fairly forgettable little tale considering everything else it was stacked up against at the time. Actually more of a drug-induced trip than a time-trip but still ...

Hawkmumbler

Would we also include Fridays appearance in Casualties of War (Prog 900) as 'time travel'?
Admittedly it's been some 10 years since I read it so likely forgetting some wibbly-wobbly aspects.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 April, 2023, 09:50:30 AMWould we also include Fridays appearance in Casualties of War (Prog 900) as 'time travel'?
Admittedly it's been some 10 years since I read it so likely forgetting some wibbly-wobbly aspects.

Pretty sure that one deployed 'alternate dimension' as its wibbly-wobbly aspect, but there have been a lot of brain cells under the bridge since I read it...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 April, 2023, 07:38:42 AM
Quote from: nxylas on 13 April, 2023, 02:53:48 PMMy only slight complaint with the Dredd story is that we had Leon Skum so soon after Leon Tusk in Noam Chimpsky. Not a big deal, but it feels like the sort of thing that editorial should have picked up on.

I was going to say it's one of the cleverest names of a character in Dredd ever, given it is an anagram whereas Leon Tusk isn't.
Maybe, but it's still two Elon Musk parodies within the space of a year or two.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

M.I.K.

I don't think it's that clever.

(See my previous comment.)

Funt Solo

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 13 April, 2023, 11:33:43 AMThat was one of my favourite Dredd stories in ages (not that I've disliked any recent ones).  I love a one-and-done.  Got a laugh out of me on every page without ever getting overly silly.  Got a hankering for Pasta Puttaneca now.

*Agreement*

Catching up on some missed Dredds - this one was a real treat. I loved the pasta sauce callback. (Were we supposed to know the perp from a previous story?)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++