Main Menu

Prog 2353 - Red Menace!

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 October, 2023, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well that was a gloriously intense Prog! Quite the thrillpacked delight.

Dredd - When Dredd is the quiet episode of the five you know you have something hitting you between the eyes elsewhere! Change of scene, frankly brilliant exchange between Dredd and this companion Tech Judges and then an agent in East Meg 2 keeps the plot moving on with a great ending. Lovely stuff.

Helium MONSTER CHASE... then new threat darkly sketch out on the last page. Beautifully rendered breathless stuff.

Devil Railroad A hideously revealed bluff. Dark wonderful cliche baddy, hard times and raised stakes at the end. Boy you already know this is going to be one touch journey. Slowly getting into this.

Fall of Deadworld FIGHT! and just as that blows up to a conclusion we get a 'SOV WAR-ROLLER!' for seconds... or as cliffhanger.

Feral and Foe FIGHT and then just as you think things in the Prog have finally settled down it turns out the calm is just another deadly cliffhanger!

I mean whatever you think about all this you could never say it wasn't thrilling stuff! Personally loved it all and all those cliffhangers leave me hankering for next prog. Great stuff.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Lovely cover by Alex Ronald. Hints of America-era Colin MacNeil, I thought.

Dredd was great. Superb dialogue with the other judges in Mongolia.Fab art, which at times felt a bit like it was channeling Mike Mignola.

Helium continues to barrel along in a manner that I'm enjoying immensely. I just hope it doesn't all abruptly stop again for another number of years.

Devil's Railord was a bit cheeky with that cliffhanger and the horrifying panel at the bottom of page one. Beyond that, it somehow feels a bit old-school. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Deadworld is still solid, but it's lost its mojo for me over those earlier series. I loved the early weirdness and horror. This felt like Walking Dead meets Apocalypse War. I hope it gets back to its best soon.

Feral & Foe continues to be a lot of fun. Abnett is really good at ramping up the character.

Dredd > Helium > Feral > Devil's > Deadworld – but nothing bad this week and all pretty good or better for me.

Grush

Very strong Autumn line up, all thrills entertaining. The free download of Helium was very much appreciated.
All wrapped up in a suberb cover from Alex Ronald.

Barrington Boots

Another good Prog I thought. Agree that the cover has some Colin MacNeil in it - lovely colours on it, big fan of this one.

Dredd Excellent. Dredd's brutal practicality was the highlight of the episode for me but this is a really good story so far all round. Impressed with the pacing - it's not hanging about, but nothing feels rushed.

Helium This is terrific. The tone, the art, the weirdness all combining to make it an absolute delight.

Devil's Railroad This isn't really hooking me yet - the characters plight is engaging but they seem a bit thinly defined and the dialogue a bit clunky. Only two weeks in though so plenty of time for that to change! Not a fan of the 'it was all a dream' cliffhanger resolution from last week mind.

Deadworld Enjoyed this episode, but mildly frustrated that having reintroduced the cast last week, we then jump to one of the other groups of protagonists. I like the scope of having the story spread about, but on a weekly level it can frustrate. Anyway, less horror and more action this week which is cool.

Feral & Foe Superb as ever. That last page got me exclaiming out loud - the awesomeness / groanworthyness of the Owlbear / Owlbore gag, and that final image is gloriously creepy.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad City Blue

Very enjoyable, though I don't read Fall Of Deadworld.

Everything I do read, though, was great! Standout as usual is the art on Feral & Foe.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Five exquisitely scripted strips (try saying that after a couple of mac-macs) but I have to say, the artwork this week is uniformly resplendent, from the bleak vistas of East Meg 2 (shouldn't it be upgraded to East Meg 1?) to Helium's lurid liquorice allsorts palette and the fluorescent, gruesome greens of Deadworld. Highlights were the lovely nine-panel sequence the second page of 'Poison', the Dayglo droid's ridiculously greebled spaceship exterior and Richard Elson's leering owlbore. And all topped off with a stunning effort by my favourite cover art droid.

Sorry script droids, your turn next week!

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 October, 2023, 02:56:21 PMLovely cover by Alex Ronald. Hints of America-era Colin MacNeil, I thought.

Very much so.
Excellent Dredd cover.