Main Menu

Complete list of 2000 AD / Meg series & stories by date

Started by Fortnight, 16 January, 2024, 12:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortnight

Is there one?

I was curious which stories had been collected and which hadn't, which got me searching for a complete list of all stories that I could use to work it out.

Since I've read few 2000 AD stories I wanted to see if I could read each one in more or less the order they were published (since that seemed the best for not having to worry about working out continuity), and maybe look to getting collected volumes where I fancied (availability and cost allowing), or picking up old Progs off eBay over time. I already have several hundred from between the mid 80s to the early 2000s, though they're not all consecutive issues. The earlier stuff might be only readable in trades.

Anyway, I can't find much of a list in a useable form. I found this but it's not tabular so I can't sort by date, story, series, etc, or add my own notes, and it's far too much of a faff to convert it to a tabular format. It also doesn't factor in the Meg or annuals/specials as far as I can see, or the characters/stories that might have begun outside of 2000 AD. Nor any stand-alone related publications (should there be any)

The 2000 AD wiki is... hmm...

Funt Solo

There's Barney - but it (currently) stops at 2020.

There's my A-Z, where each story is sorted into tables by publication date. (It's about a season behind - I update it once or twice a year.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 16 January, 2024, 02:59:57 AMThere's Barney - but it (currently) stops at 2020.

There's my A-Z, where each story is sorted into tables by publication date. (It's about a season behind - I update it once or twice a year.)

Both are brilliant resources but Funt Solo's A-Z is the goto as its up to date. Barney I use mainly these days for the cover gallery as i tend to search things based on cover... errr no I'm not sure either...

Colin YNWA

Oh and I keep forgeting the A-Z has a page count that will stop me doing some very poor estimates if only I'd remember!

IndigoPrime

Who has Barney access these days? I vaguely recall it has been updated several times since it was separated from the official site.

AlexF

It isn't a database of story info, but the still-ongoing 'Thrillshots' review wesbite is going through all the 2000AD and Meg stories as published in the Hachette Mega Collection / Ultimate 2000Ad collection.

Not only are the published collected editions listed in (original) date order, you could in theory use this as a resource to work out which reprint volumes you want to buy.

But mainly, it's a great place to visit to get a well-written review of each story!

NB it does NOT inlcude any of the Dredd Case Files. At least those are pretty easy to naviagate, in terms of reading them in chronological order! (Barring a bit of fiddling to slot in bits from the 4 Restricted Files)

If you're serious about going as far as to read ALL appearances of characters, even before they ended up in the Prog, hats off and best of luck to you! Especially when you hit Medivac 318...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 January, 2024, 08:21:34 AMWho has Barney access these days? I vaguely recall it has been updated several times since it was separated from the official site.

I know Cosh did a load of work on it - though I don't think he had the time to keep it up.

Le Fink

Quote from: AlexF on 16 January, 2024, 08:36:54 AMIt isn't a database of story info, but the still-ongoing 'Thrillshots' review wesbite is going through all the 2000AD and Meg stories as published in the Hachette Mega Collection / Ultimate 2000Ad collection.
I had no idea this existed, thanks!

Fortnight

Morning chaps. Thanks for the responses! I think that Funt's A-Z is clearly the best resource of these as it covers everything, and lists things in tabular form. The only downside is that each table is very often grouped by series, and within that a sort of 'story phase'

What I'd need is everything in one table with those series, stories and phases in their own columns - so I can list each story in date-first-published order regardless of groupings. Easier to do with the A-Z than for that wikimedia pdf, but still a lot of work!

Funt Solo

If the problem is "I want to read these in order", then perhaps the solution is to look at my prog and meg pages (which link back to the A-Z for series-specific tabular data).

Notes:
- When I started those pages, the links were to the 2000 AD - ABC videos by Molch-R. Then I built the A-Z, so now I'm replacing the links to point to those pages. I haven't rebuilt all the links yet.
- Those pages only go up to 1995 on the site, currently. I have plans to update it, but it's a personal project so ... there's only time if there's time.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Vernoona

Quote from: AlexF on 16 January, 2024, 08:36:54 AMIt isn't a database of story info, but the still-ongoing 'Thrillshots' review wesbite is going through all the 2000AD and Meg stories as published in the Hachette Mega Collection / Ultimate 2000Ad collection.

Thanks for sharing Alex! Thrillshots remains a labour of love, although I will admit to being glad they've finally announced they'll stop the Ultimate Collection at 200!

Vernoona

Quote from: Fortnight on 16 January, 2024, 10:41:33 AMWhat I'd need is everything in one table with those series, stories and phases in their own columns - so I can list each story in date-first-published order regardless of groupings. Easier to do with the A-Z than for that wikimedia pdf, but still a lot of work!

Hi Fortnight! I think I have pretty much what you're after. I have a spreadsheet where I've been listing each story in the Mega and Ultimate Collections, which I can use to work out where to place in chronological order. It's just for my use so it's a little messy, but perhaps I can tidy up and share with you to use as your own starting point? It just won't have anything not announced in the Collections so far.