Main Menu

Prog 2229 - Crunch Point!

Started by Richard, 24 April, 2021, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

A good prog this week. Visions of Deadworld is back for a two-episode story, but the first episode works perfectly well as a one-off story in its own right. I really like these stories.

A Penitent Man reaches its penultimate episode. Not much to say that hasn't already been said, it's a good tale. Looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Feral and Foe is full of innuendo and smut, which is entertaining.

Thistlebone isn't for me I'm afraid, but I'm sure the people who like it will enjoy it this week.

There's a Future Shock with art by Glenn Fabry. Story-wise, I enjoyed the first five pages, and I thought it was going to end in a particular way, but then the sixth page disappointed me, and also made much of what had happened earlier seem irrelevant. It reads (to me anyway) as if the writer originally had another ending in mind and then was told to change it, but didn't adjust the rest of the story. I'll be interested to read what others think about this one. I'd still like to see more stories from Mark McCann though.

The cover is by Dermot Power; when did we last see him round this way?

davidbishop

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

The cover is one super Powerful cover. Awesome

Colin YNWA

The cover popped up on Facebook, not that long ago as something he did for fun to scratch an itch as I recall. I might be miss remembering but I'm sure that was the case. Tharg must have seen it and not surprisingly thought it shouldn't languish on fansite and bitter biters and commissioned it as a cover. Lovely one it is too.

Art

I like it. Bit of a Bill S vibe.

Colin YNWA

Enough cover talk let's get into the meat under that cover.

Dredd remains superb. No real suprises after last week, but a neat way to turn the table and some clearly off screen Dredd grit make this story an ongoing delight with astonishing art.

Thistlebone likewise does offer too many surprises as the tale from the past seems to reach its conclusion and then the past calls Seema. Great stuff.

Visions of Deadworld a two parter that does not mess about at all cutting stright to the action and building really well. Looking forward to where this one goes next week. Excellent.

Future Shocks
from the same team that brought us the triumph that was Congested Anima back in 2146. This one isn't quite as good and took me a couple of goes but its a good story.

Feral and Foe The gags are smutastic this week and feel curiously more embedded even as they get more Carry On. Exciting cliffhanger to- Good stuff.

Yeah so this is a great Prog. Everything is at least good, some things better. Can't really ask for more.

JayzusB.Christ

I haven't read it yet but that's a lovely cover.  Kind of reverse-Terminator; stomping on skulls and all.  Though someone needs to tell the Power droid that lawgivers have changed since his day :)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

BPP

It might just be me but is his gun bending?

Still it's bloody lovely.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Barrington Boots

What a great cover that is! Awesome to see Power's work gracing the Prog again.

Dredd All building up to a conclusive confrontation. I've probably said before how I like Niemand's take on these tales: his inhabitants of MC1 are often more sympathetic, with Dredd and the judges as looming threats rather than the central protagonists. It lends things more of an optimistic and tragic air, the droids brave yet pointless stand being a good example of that. Great art, top story, top stuff.

Thistlebone Not much to say about this episode that hasn't already been said. It's slow, but that's ok: I guessed who didn't make it off the scout trip, and I have no idea what's going to happen next.

Visions of Deadworld Loved this. All action, all horror - the designs on Mimir and Fenris are really good - Fenris's mouth splitting wider than it should as he confronts the engineer is just so grotesque. These bleak little snapshots are some of my favourite things in the Prog at the moment.

Future Shocks I wasn't hugely into this one. Nice twist with the focus on the strip not being on who you think, but overall didn't really work for me.

Feral and Foe Brilliant stuff again. Less meta, more smutty. Can't get enough of this. That's a serious looking woodgood. WOOD FOR THE WOODGOD!

You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: BPP on 26 April, 2021, 10:36:09 AM
It might just be me but is his gun bending?

Still it's bloody lovely.

It did occur to me. It's a mind-twistingly hard thing to do, that type of foreshortening of geometrical shapes.  I feck it up all the time in my murals and window paintings, and the Power droid is a million times better than I'll ever be.  So as you say, all good - bloody lovely indeed.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JimmyNailz

AstraZeneca had me feeling rundown and emotional when reading Dredd, and THAT is why the sewage droids made me cry, your honour.😭

Link Prime