Main Menu

Prog 2362 - It’s a 100-Page Festive Mega Blast!

Started by Le Fink, 09 December, 2023, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Quote from: Le Fink on 20 December, 2023, 08:56:27 AMperhaps give a regular Search/Destroy adventure a try?

Yes this it what I'd like, regardless of who's writing it. If there are going to be occasional Strontium Dog stories, I would really love it if they just went back to Johnny has a warrant for the bad guy (or gal) and has to hunt them down on a back water planet. Like it used to be at the very start of the strip. With a twist of course.

HeidTheBaw

Quote from: Funt Solo [Rlink=msg=1108693 date=1703033137]
Quote from: Richard on 19 December, 2023, 11:13:57 PMTo be fair, it probably wasn't really necessary to show an attempted domestic rape in front of a child just to make the point that misogynists are bad people.

On the other hand, it did a good job of reflecting back on Alpha's own childhood, which also demonstrates that the complaint that the writer hadn't done their research and wasn't playing true to the characters was a bit of an empty complaint.

If you check statistics, you find that domestic abuse-related crimes are on the rise in the UK, so I'm not sure how it would be helpful to brush it under the carpet. Indeed, that's probably one of the reasons it's on the rise - because it is often a hidden crime, and it's difficult to prosecute. Quite brave of 2000 AD to highlight it. We should probably be lauding them, rather than criticizing them, I'm sure we'd all agree. Unless...

I chose to ignore this last time because I couldn't be bothered, but that's your second insinuation now; that because someone felt a strip was too heavy handed they support misogynistic behaviour. I'm sure your next move will be to gaslight this with a hand wave and ask why I would think that.

This discussion is precisely one of the reasons I don't like writers who lack the ability to weave their commentary through the narrative with a bit more skill. See Devil's Railroad in the same Prog for how it's done, and we are still all very much aware that Milligan is focussing on immigration and the abuse of people stuck within that system that goes with it.

Interesting to note that Hound went to Di Campi for a crash course in writing a comic strip, maybe if he chose his mentor better the entire strip would have had a decent structure rather than being all over the place. But I digress.

I wrote a brief comment on every single strip, this is the one you have chose to hone in on, and not only that, continue to pursue further response rather than accept  the reasoning I've already provided.

Reading back through the thread I can see 3 others commenting that they found the strip too heavy handed (and disjointed) so I'm clearly not alone.

Now, I hope you'll excuse me as I have a Klan rally to attend and id really like  to attempt to rape my wife in front of my kid before I head off.

norton canes

Oh, wait. Wow. Something just struck me. Re. [redacted]'s appearance in Azimuth - I know it's still three years away, but... could this be seeding events for a massive 50th anniversary GGC multiverse dust-up?

Well could it?

IndigoPrime

1. Please can people chill a bit on this thread, or I'm going to start editing/deleting posts? Thank you.

2. I suppose the notion of what is heavy handed or not is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I've found the entirety of Devil's Railroad about a subtle as a brick.

Woolly

Quote from: norton canes on 20 December, 2023, 09:47:37 AMOh, wait. Wow. Something just struck me. Re. [redacted]'s appearance in Azimuth - I know it's still three years away, but... could this be seeding events for a massive 50th anniversary GGC multiverse dust-up?

Well could it?

Considering how long it can take for Sin/Dex to get to it's pay-off points, I'd say 'probably'.

As for Strontium Dog...
...I thought it was OK when I read it. Dan Cornwell's art is fantastic as always, and he's definitely the artist I'd like to see follow on from The King (assuming we get any more).
Seeing him punch the abusive lizard a*sehole in the face felt great, and I didn't feel the scene was too over-the-top in it's depictions of abuse. Never even considered it until I read this thread.

My only issue with the SD strip was it being very 'wordy'. Having that much dialogue on the page affected the flow and pace for me, but the story was still strong and I'd like to see more from the Prog's new Rufus.

Will we ever see two Rufus' in the Prog at the same time again? I certainly hope so!

IndigoPrime

JudgeJudi

Quote from: norton canes on 20 December, 2023, 09:47:37 AMOh, wait. Wow. Something just struck me. Re. [redacted]'s appearance in Azimuth - I know it's still three years away, but... could this be seeding events for a massive 50th anniversary GGC multiverse dust-up?

Well could it?

I'm feeling a bit slow - GGC?

Richard

Richard

Since 2000AD is now no more futuristic a name than 1977AD, can we just rename it Galaxy?

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 20 December, 2023, 04:00:15 PMSince 2000AD is now no more futuristic a name than 1977AD, can we just rename it Galaxy?

Get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!!!

IndigoPrime

Barrington Boots

My copy arrived this morning - or at least my replacement copy, as the original still hasn't arrived. Massive thanks to the subs droids! I think my Christmas prog vanished last year too.

Anyway - I thought this was an enjoyable Prog but, and this might be nostalgia talking, it lacked something compared to previous years. The current strips running through so no first episode excitement, no Christmas features or anything like that, and only Fiends being a seasonal strip in any way.
Having seen this thread balloon to six pages whilst I was avoiding it I guess I assumed something a bit more was going on!
Anyway... that cover is awesome.

Dredd was a good read for a set up episode for something we don't know about yet, so limited mileage there. No Dredd at all, which is bad, but a starring role for Rico in the future it seems. Tom Foster lovely as ever.

Azimuth - clueless as to where this is going and totally blindsided by that reveal. I did see a Dredd pic on the wall but just thought it was another little easter egg... and I didn't recognise the armour at first, but once it's pointed out... I'm glad this seems to be heading somewhere other than a reset, and it's the most interesting SinDex has been for ages and ages.

Anderson - nothing better than 'alright'. Anderson herself looks about 16 here, the story was quite dark, but also just sort of ended? It did feel like an annual story, to echo others, as it was decent but sort of inconsequential.

Fiends is the absolute highlight. Looks amazing, creepy and horrible, festive theme. The art is just next level stuff here especially of old Constanza himself. Sooo good.

Strontium Dog I see there's been a bit of a debate about this!

I enjoyed it. It was close enough to the old stuff to feel authentic whilst not being too homage-y or afraid to do something a little bit different or not really delve into Johnny's character. The shift into the colour part was bold and unexpected and dare I say it slightly shoehorned in, but also really great.
Also I'm all for Johnny and Wulf killing bigots.
I guess it is saying something about stuff going on in the world today... but 2000ad's always been like that. So overall, I dug this tale.

Going forward, overall I'd kind of rather we didn't get anymore Stront without John and Carlos. But as we will, I'd hope it'd be focused on the Johnny / Wulf partnership as this does: they're a great double act and I suspect the period of the strip where the two of them were together is the on a lot of us remember very fondly. Dan Cornwell does a bang up job here of depicting them and I'd like to see him stay with it. As mentioned by others above, I'd quite like to see the strip back to its bounty hunter roots - if it's going to be an irregular thing, a tale where Alpha and Wulf go and hunt down an alien weirdo is always going to welcome. 

Rogue was Rogue. It's rare you get a duff Rogue story but for me, rare you get one that stands out. This was didn't stand out, but it wasn't bad at all. Lovely art from Simon Coleby.

Then good episodes of Helium and Feral & Foe, both of them moving plot along very nicely. That first panel of F&F is great and Helium continues to delight. I didn't read Railroad or Enemy Earth.

Fun Prog then, if not spectacular.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 December, 2023, 10:43:45 PM
Quote from: HeidTheBaw on 19 December, 2023, 08:43:12 PMSee also Devlin Waugh in recent years

Really? I thought Ales Kot's handling of the character in his most recent outings has been excellent.

seconded, for me it was a vast improvement, just miss the whole Tom of Finland vibe.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Richard

He does, but a new reader would have no idea who he is.