Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orinAGN

Quote from: Richard on 01 October, 2012, 08:55:11 PM
Sector 301 was The Pit. Sector 13 is Angeltown.

Yeah.  I realized that a bit later.
I spent the last hour trying to find this post and reply, acknowledging my goof.  But I forgot where I made the comment.

Is there a way to edit your posts, once you make them?

Goaty

With my logo on the front page!

http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-dredd-3d-is-the-best-comic-book- movie-of-2012.php

Agree with this;

It's safe to say that all the promise this year's string of summer blockbusters had, most failed to live up to expectations and collapsed under a pile of hyper-boil. The Dark Knight Rises, Prometheus and Total Recall among others, all failed to deliver for various reasons ranging from poor script writing to overly pompous plots.

It seemed like 2012 would go down as a year of major disappointments but as the summer drew to an end, there was one more film still left to go, a low budget comic book adaptation that was hoping to resonate with a new audience and reboot a franchise. There was hardly any promotion, no fast food tie-ins or TV specials. Like a plank of wood in a sea of rubbish, it offered a lifeline that you don't have to drown in mediocre film making and that going to the cinema can be exciting again, it was bold, fresh and violent. It didn't try to pander to the teenage audience and it didn't alienate its core fan base and that film was Pete Travis's Dredd.

radiator

Sorry, but I stopped reading at 'Hyper-boil'.

Learn how to write.

Fisticuffs

Maybe it was a play on words, hyperbole crossed with a boil. Kind'a works...

Something Fishy

Don't agree on the TDKR I must admit. Maybe I'm wrong but I really liked it and would say I personally enjoyed it more than Dredd.

Something Fishy

Not saying Dredd wasn't great BTW but that was comparing two great films for me and calling one of them a failure and naming it alongside a film that really was (Total Recall).  Can't agree.

IndigoPrime

Horses for courses, I guess. I thought TDKR was boring and far too long. It needed at least an hour off of the run-time, which, frankly, would have been pretty easy to do without really losing anything. Mrs G summed it up by saying it wanted to be epic but wasn't actually epic. The telegraphed coda was also irksome in pretty much every way to me, along with, in one case (the [spoiler]café[/spoiler]) being entirely illogical.

Something Fishy

yeah fair enough.

interesting really.  One tried to have too much story and be more than it needed, the other had a paper thin story you could throw in a short but both were good to me.

radiator

Overall I enjoyed TDKR but agree that it was massively overlong and had too many superfluous plot elements and characters.

I also found it way too convoluted and it stretched suspension of disbelief* beyond breaking point a few too many times.

A few more drafts of the script could have easily have whipped it into shape and would have greatly improved on what was for me a three star film.

*before anyone says it - just because a film has a man dressed as a bat doesn't mean you can completely throw plausibility and logic out the window.

Dredd on the other hand was lean, concise, and focused - and all the more refreshing for it.

Danbo

Robin and the Batman gives up cop out ruined it.The first half was really good though with Catwoman.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Something Fishy

I'm just saying as a movie. Not as a comic.

It was still great mind but I kind of knew that opinion wouldn't go down a storm  :lol:

The Adventurer

Dark Knight Rises was one of the sloppiest movies I've ever watched. It can't even keep track of its core themes or character arcs.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

dweezil2

Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 October, 2012, 11:11:50 AM
Dark Knight Rises was one of the sloppiest movies I've ever watched. It can't even keep track of its core themes or character arcs.

Completely agree.

It was like a 2h 45m exercise in exposition.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

radiator

Having said all that, I will probably end up buying it on Blu Ray and watching it again. It did have some great stuff in it, mainly Tom Hardy's performance as Bane.

It just about managed to stay coherent and was nowhere near as much of a mess as Prometheus.