Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Link Prime, 02 June, 2015, 04:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

I really enjoyed the vault 81 quest. Cracking story and what Fallout is all about.

Oh if you are playing on the xbone or PS4 and are hitting the build limit at settlements a friend told me an exploit which helps you lower where the game thinks the settlement is against its build limit. Grab a load of those crap weapons you've been hoarding and chuck them on the floor of the settlement. Go into build mode and scrap them all. Each one you scrap fools the system into lowering the build percentage bar. No more strategic tinkering with items in Red Rocket for James.

jacob g

Quote from: James Stacey on 29 December, 2015, 10:10:30 AM
I really enjoyed the vault 81 quest. Cracking story and what Fallout is all about.

Like Hubris Comics shop Vault 81 was one of the places I found by accident and I must admit this was one of the best side quests so far.

Curie is fun as a companion.
margaritas ante porcos

Professor Bear

My favorite area is the car park complex beside Milton General Hospital.  For some reason, it's been transformed into a maze full of harmful traps, at the end of which is a choice between two separate caches of weapons or chems - the other being destroyed.  I found it by chance during the Silver Shroud stuff, but have no idea why it's there.

The Pickman side-quest is also a good one.

Grab a load of those crap weapons you've been hoarding and chuck them on the floor of the settlement. Go into build mode and scrap them all. Each one you scrap fools the system into lowering the build percentage bar.

You don't have to scrap the weapons, just drop them on the ground and then store them to the workbench (via the build mode) - then you can take them out of the workbench and store them all over again to reduce the build limit even further.  You can't scrap explosives, so this way you can use grenades to lower your build limit, too.

A glitch when building things (including mods) at benches, power armor racks or food stations is to hit the "back" button at the same time as hitting the button to make the object.  As long as your menu has reverted to the previous screen as well as the window coming up telling you what resources you'll use to make the object, you can make that object by hitting the relevant button, but you won't use the resources.  I only discovered this after I hit level 83 and I was a super-rich and indestructible walking genocide, but if you're at a low level and flat broke, it would be a good way to create things to sell to vendors and to level up (making things yields XP) more quickly and safely than dungeon-clearing.

Another glitch is Dogmeat - if he fetches anything for you, he has to go through an animation where he bends his head to pick it up, but if you pick it up just as he bends his head, whatever it is will appear in your inventory and Dogmeat will also drop a duplicate at your feet.  If you've picked up the "You're SPECIAL" book from the floor of the nursery in your house, you can duplicate it over and over this way and max out your SPECIAL stats.  I dunno if it works with shipments or resources, though.

James Stacey

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 December, 2015, 01:36:00 PM

Grab a load of those crap weapons you've been hoarding and chuck them on the floor of the settlement. Go into build mode and scrap them all. Each one you scrap fools the system into lowering the build percentage bar.

You don't have to scrap the weapons, just drop them on the ground and then store them to the workbench (via the build mode) - then you can take them out of the workbench and store them all over again to reduce the build limit even further.  You can't scrap explosives, so this way you can use grenades to lower your build limit, too.

Cheers thanks :) Fortunately I had crap loads to scrap anyway. Will help down the road though

Link Prime

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 December, 2015, 01:36:00 PM
I hit level 83

Impressive.

I've just reached level 62 on my main save file, and *believe* I've completed all non-radiant quests.
I'm on my third 'end-game' play through (fortunately I hard saved just after 'The Molecular Level') now, allied with wasteland lemons The Railroad.

Once complete, I've only to get the 'Benevolent Leader' trophy for the platinum.
Any tips on that one?

Grugz

Been enjoying this and am up to level 16, been to vault 114 (?) to rescue the synth detective but want to find more vaults (will be trying to find the one mentioned above later...can your regular followers apart from dogmeat die?
   Have also found about 25 fusion coils so can spend a bit more ime in one of my four suits of power armour which came in handy when I found a junkyard full of high levelled supermutants.

Also does any one know where the alien blaster is? and assault rifles?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

ThryllSeekyr

I must get back into this game......I'm still sorting out my moving house arrangements....but haven't done much because I'm not feeling well and have been on my fathers computer in kitchen, because my room is so stuffy at the moment.

Still have a problem where my computer's game recording software just burns up more hard-drive space then I would expect. Not even sure if I still have this game installed.

Professor Bear

You can't get the Alien Blaster until the UFO crashes just over the hills to the South of Oberland Station - you can't miss it because the trees are on fire - and then follow the trail of green blood until you find the pilot.  I don't think this happens until you hit at least level 20, though.

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 December, 2015, 03:22:38 PM
Once complete, I've only to get the 'Benevolent Leader' trophy for the platinum.
Any tips on that one?

You'll have to invest in a few perks like Cap Collector and Local Leader to get access to the better shops you can build, as well as Science and Gun Nut for better defence turrets.  Put lots of decorations in dwellings - including radios and tvs (remember both have to be near a power source or active pylon to turn on) - have a very high defence level for your settlement (the higher it is, the less it gets attacked), put on clothing that boosts your charisma (the higher it is, the more settlers you'll attract, and you need a big population to qualify as a large settlement) and then spend plenty of time in the settlement around your population - make a level 3 bar and your townies will congregate around it during their downtime, also making it easier for you to be near them all and thus make them even happier.

jacob g

Quote from: Grugz on 29 December, 2015, 04:02:48 PMwill be trying to find the one mentioned above later

This one (vault 81) is easy to spot cuz if I remeber correctly it's only place with elecricity between pond and nearest suburb buildings.
margaritas ante porcos

Grugz

found the blaster....just killed a lot of gunners and stepped onto a balcony and the ufo was crashing ,eventually found a cave and there he was! quick .45 slug to the head and it was mine!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

ThryllSeekyr

Seeing as your all just throwing around sage advice with abandon.....

There is a laser rifle at the police precinct where I met the guy called Paladin (I think that was right!) when took my vault-dweller for a walk around inside and up on the ramp/balcony that over looks entrance outside.

I got it off a corpse lying almost dead centre on the thing.

It is best weapon I ever picked up so far, but it's one city before you get to Diamond. I forget the name of it though. It's right next to the auto-mobile factory and the broken high-way. The placed was inhabited by a lot of ghouls and some bandits and probably some people just trying to survive. (Who might otherwise also be bandits!)  and those people who might have once been cops or just more survivors who took over their precinct.

There was subway station where you could hack terminals to activate two robots.

I have this on video, I may have the bit where I picked up the laser-refile on video as well. I believe I linked these videos earlier.

ThryllSeekyr

Link Prime

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 29 December, 2015, 04:12:42 PM

You'll have to invest in a few perks like Cap Collector and Local Leader to get access to the better shops you can build, as well as Science and Gun Nut for better defence turrets.  Put lots of decorations in dwellings - including radios and tvs (remember both have to be near a power source or active pylon to turn on) - have a very high defence level for your settlement (the higher it is, the less it gets attacked), put on clothing that boosts your charisma (the higher it is, the more settlers you'll attract, and you need a big population to qualify as a large settlement) and then spend plenty of time in the settlement around your population - make a level 3 bar and your townies will congregate around it during their downtime, also making it easier for you to be near them all and thus make them even happier.

Cheers Prof, I have most of those perks already, so will be giving this another go with a fresh settlement at the weekend (I just can't get Sanctuary > 95% happiness, maybe because there are 24 settlers).

A mate in work also recommended sticking up flags everywhere, so I'll try that too.

Grugz

I have the French robot , still cant find any more vaults other than 81 and 114 ,are there any more cities like diamond city?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 December, 2015, 10:58:57 AM
(I just can't get Sanctuary > 95% happiness, maybe because there are 24 settlers).

If any of your companions are located there, send them away to a different settlement so there's only regular settlers left.  Otherwise you might have to max out your relationship with all your companions, which can be hard with characters like Dogmeat who seem to be permanently neutral towards you.