Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

When Change UK launched, I had to block an ex-droid who was rt'ing them uncritically, as it was utterly painful to watch someone whose work I had respected be publicly suckered into the back of a clown car with the promise of free sweets.  People are absolutely dumb enough to vote for Bojo, especially once the media falls in line after his coronation.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 June, 2019, 04:51:18 PM
I remember hearing that he deliberately ruffles his hair before meeting the press. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest; it's this cuddly scatterbrained image that has worked very well for him.

I've heard the same.  Also, that the incident where he was 'trapped' on a zip wire was similarly staged and was timed to coincide with news that the Party didn't want on the front pages that day (though I've not been able to ascertain what story that was).

Theblazeuk

Today, I've mostly been feeling sick and angry at children sleeping on concrete floors behind chain link fences with 24/7 lighting, separated from their parents and with 10 year olds forced to look after five year olds. Not being provided toothpaste, brushes, soap, beds. Children as young as four months and none older than 13. The guards getting angry and punishing them by taking away beds as punishment. Making 'prison bosses' by promising special treatment to older children if they keep the rest in line.

https://boingboing.net/2019/06/26/trump-official-says-caged-chil.html
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/the-inhumane-conditions-at-migrant-detention-camps.html

Or just sending a four year old on a plane to another country without telling anyone.
https://boingboing.net/2018/10/12/ice-deporting-separated-4-year.html

This is Evil. These are children.

Funt Solo

You're talking about the US concentration camps that the current regime is using.  The US president blames ... wait, there's a list ... the Democrats (who didn't enact the policy), the migrants (many of whom are seeking asylum) and the Mexicans (for not being a defined "safe" country).

If they'd just all stop being the way they are, he argues, he wouldn't have to separate children from their families and lock them up in concentration camps.  (Yes, he's the victim!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 June, 2019, 03:56:02 PM
You're talking about the US concentration camps that the current regime is using. 

That's exactly how I described them to a colleague yesterday. I don't think there's anything that upsets or angers me more than the suffering of children, but the fact this is an official government policy fucking beggars belief. It makes the shower of callous, incompetent bastards running this country look almost kindly, save for the fact they're not loudly and forcefully condemning it as they damn well should be.

I want to do something to help, but I'm at a complete loss.

Regards,

Robin

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 June, 2019, 07:40:47 PM
CNBC: Here's where to donate to help migrant children and families at the border

Charity Navigator: Immigration and Refugees

You know, I think I will.  I always feel helpless and overwhelmed when I think of the insane and sinister things this ridiculous US president is doing , but at least this way I can do something small to help.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I feel as helpless as anyone: I live in the US currently, and there feels very little I can do practically to stop what I find to be a hateful administration from doing a raft of things I find abhorrent.

I'm glad Robin asked the question, because it made me seek an answer that is at least within reach.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Robin Low on 27 June, 2019, 06:55:03 PM
It makes the shower of callous, incompetent bastards running this country look almost kindly, save for the fact they're not loudly and forcefully condemning it as they damn well should be.

Also I'm pretty sure they'd do exactly the same thing if they thought they could get away with it.  Actually - didn't they effectively take away statehood from somebody who otherwise would have been born a UK citizen?  Not that it makes any difference now, because the child died...

Rately

What really gets me is the fact the majority of these shitebags claim proudly to be Christians.

Say what you want about religion etc. but there is very little in their words, actions that would lead me to believe they have a single shred of Christian values, or humanity in them.

The Legendary Shark

This is the kind of thing that, to me, highlights the basic problems with statism. It doesn't really matter what atrocities are occurring because, if one doesn't like it, all one has to do is put up with it for a few years and then vote for somebody else in the (forlorn) hope that they'll put things right. Just like Obama promised to do with Guantanamo Bay.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: sheridan on 28 June, 2019, 11:09:46 AMAlso I'm pretty sure they'd do exactly the same thing if they thought they could get away with it.

They've been doing it for years in for-profit detention centers like Yarl's Wood, it's just that British laws being what they are to protect the interests of private companies, the administration of Yarl's Wood didn't have to grant access to elected representatives like they did in the US, so we've never seen the default conditions in YW, we only know male guards have strip-searched young girls on a regular basis, and there have been multiple sexual assaults and suspicious deaths which the police have been prevented from investigating, sometimes by the rapid - and illegal - deportation of the victims or witnesses.
The only difference between what happens in the US and what has been happening in the UK for years is that the UK government has been able to keep a lid on it, and the US is taking steps to copy the UK setup by moving their detention centers onto military bases where taking photos or filming is forbidden under national security laws.

As has long been the case with concentration camps, the UK has led the way.

Tjm86

Quote from: Rately on 28 June, 2019, 11:45:48 AM
What really gets me is the fact the majority of these shitebags claim proudly to be Christians.

Say what you want about religion etc. but there is very little in their words, actions that would lead me to believe they have a single shred of Christian values, or humanity in them.

That is most definitely the biggest problem faced by Christians.  Way too many that still act in ways that are anything but Christian.  I get why Jeanette Winterson wrote the way she did in Oranges.  The persistent selectivity of too many who claim to be followers of Christ and look to the Bible for guidance but have a dangerously selective understanding of the Gospels, never mind the Old Testament. 

I always thought that Bartlett nailed it in the West Wing when he pulled up a talk radio host.  He baited her into agreement on what Leviticus says about homosexuality and then really went to town on her appreciation and understanding, showing how foolish she was.  It was a perfect rebuttal to all those who use scripture to persecute.

If anyone ever asks, I always say I'm a practising Christian because I'm crap at it and have still got loads to learn.

Robin Low

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 June, 2019, 12:59:34 PM... and suspicious deaths which the police have been prevented from investigating, sometimes by the rapid - and illegal - deportation of the victims or witnesses.

Is there more to this? There's nothing particularly suspicious about this death in the report you link and it says there is (or should I say was, it was 2014) a police investigation taking place.

Regards,

Robin