Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

CANDYMAN (2021)

Tony Todd climbed into the husk of my skin and whispered sweet nothings until my flesh curled and died.
The only legacy horror movie from the last 20 years that actually matters.

wedgeski

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 August, 2021, 10:48:51 PM
Another movie that's been mentioned a time or two here: 2010.
Really excellent! It's one of my go-to feel good movies. Gives up Kubrik's surrealism for more accesible sci-fi and plays all the right notes from the original film. A more than worthy sequel IMO.

CalHab

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 August, 2021, 02:01:35 PM
CANDYMAN (2021)

Tony Todd climbed into the husk of my skin and whispered sweet nothings until my flesh curled and died.
The only legacy horror movie from the last 20 years that actually matters.

Genuinely interested to see where they go with that film. The original is a classic.

repoman

With all this Candymanning going on, I decided to watch the original for the first time in so long that I didn't actually remember anything about it.

It's pretty good.  I like Virginia Madsen for a start and Tony Todd does a pretty good job in it.  But I'm not a huge fan of when films completely mess with reality.  So when she shows up in that woman's bathroom, that's a bit annoying.  But overall it was fun. 

I'll enjoy watching the remake hopefully but I reckon I'll leave OG Candyman for another 10-20 years. 

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: repoman on 31 August, 2021, 05:06:41 PM

I'll enjoy watching the remake hopefully but I reckon I'll leave OG Candyman for another 10-20 years.

The 2021 film is a sequel to the original, y'know. The main character is the baby from the original.
Lock up your spoons!

Pyroxian

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 31 August, 2021, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: repoman on 31 August, 2021, 05:06:41 PM

The 2021 film is a sequel to the original, y'know. The main character is the baby from the original.

That's a pretty big spoiler :(

M.I.K.

I don't think that could be considered a spoiler seeing as how he has the same name and it's the same actress playing his mother.

milstar

Quote from: repoman on 30 August, 2021, 12:51:13 PM

I was 10, I hadn't seen 2001 and I wasn't a fan of dry sci-fi.

I wonder if I'd like it now though.  Still haven't seen 2001 so I'd need to dip into that first.

Ah... 2001. Never have been the hardcore fan of SF, but that movie nearly made me weep on how good it is. It's more than a movie. It's a brooding on humanity.

Quote from: paddykafka on 30 August, 2021, 01:51:27 PM

And saving the best for last: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE

A dark, twisted and comic masterpiece, with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as the feuding sisters - and former film stars - forced by guilt and economic circumstances to live with one another. Inevitably, one of them is bound to snap and when she does? Oh, my giddy aunt!

Davis gives a superb performance (and at times even manages to elicit a certain amount of pity, for her otherwise monstrous character) and Crawford is her equal in every way.

A creepy, disturbing and thought provoking study of mental breakdown.

I find Robert Aldrich a very underrated director. Provocative as well. Without Kiss me Deadly and Dirty Dozen, the cinema would be much poorer place. Baby Jane is ofcourse another classic.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: M.I.K. on 01 September, 2021, 12:37:53 AM
I don't think that could be considered a spoiler seeing as how he has the same name and it's the same actress playing his mother.

I've not even seen the film, so sorry if it's a spoiler. I've just seen the BBC review saying, "this is a sequel to the original, ignoring the other sequels, with Actor X playing the child from the first film". The BBC review said it was pretty damn good.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

Edge of Tomorrow

Ah...this was an interesting ride, I have to admit. But it'd probably be the movie that would mark my childhood if I was 20 years younger. The opening minutes reckoned me on Invasion 1984, then it progressed into Deja Vu (which IMO sounds like a more fitting title) and then Groundhog Day. Action and SFX were nice, but nothing that you wouldn't see in a recent Hollywood movie. Tom and Emily make a nice pair, btw. The ending is absolute bollocks, however.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Large48

Anyone for Space Truckers????

Ace Garp would turn in his boots!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

pictsy

Detention

Plenty of good ideas that don't quite come together.  This was sold to me as a horror movie and it does have some horror themed elements, it is very much not that.  It's a high school comedy.  It hits all the beats of a high school comedy and doesn't really do anything much with the horror and sci-fi stuff.  It's pretty snarky, heavily referential, and quite predictable.  It doesn't come together because it has a large cast of characters but the focus is mainly on four of them, but very specifically one.  It uses vignettes to very briefly explore the other characters and they have their own resolutions, but it rings hollow as we don't spend enough time with them.  It should have ditched the traditional main character narrative structure of the high school comedy and gone for an ensemble character driven comedy.  I really don't understand why the film makers didn't do this.  The film is already pretty weird.

In the end, the recommendation I got was too gushing.  The film is style over substance.  For the weird style I'd say it's OK, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

milstar

Fierce Creatures

Ah...John Cleese is fine actor and cool bloke, but not even he could save this dump and spiritual sequel to his A Fish Called Wanda. There are funny moments here and there, and most of them revolve around Cleese. The rest of the characters are exaggerated to the point of annoyance. Meh.

milstar

The Spirit

Have never seen this solo-directed Frank Miller project, But now I wish I didn'.t Frankie is much better director than writer here. And that shouldn't say much. Visuals are dazzling, that's for sure. But that's only reason why it's worth spending your time on this braindead shite. Nearly all major flaws in filmmaking are here.
Plot - contrived as the first issue of Elektra Assassin (although I stayed on the movie 'til the end). In fact, every five minutes I forgot what is happening.
Dialogues - way too outlandish, and self-indulgent. There was a time where Miller knew better how to pull of noirish talk, but that was either hit or miss. Here, it's all miss. And there are way too many examples of that. One I'll mention because it sounds very familiar. "Keep the mask on. It's better that way".
Characters - unremarkable and their acting is stiff and boring, at least. Samuel L. Jackson is criminally wasted here. The actor who plays The Spirit is awful. And as far as the female characters goes, one character said spot-on thing; "are all females in this town crazy?"

At least Miller filmed his own decapitation in the film. That's surely something. I don't think a director did something like that in the cinema history.

pictsy

Deep Rising

I hadn't seen this in years.  It's an action horror creature feature type thing... on a boat.  Watch as people die.  Watch as people yell and run.  Watch as a contrivance saves the day.

This film answer important questions like "can you open an elevator door by shooting the button with a shotgun?"

This film is loads of fun.  Pretty much how I remember it.  Dumb but entertaining and it has a lot of charm.