Main Menu

Prog 2257 - West End Ghouls

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 November, 2021, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Really cool cover this week, brilliant stuff.

Dredd Very nice opener, I like the tack this one is taking with someone (Vanzura?) seemingly giving evidence or otherwise critiquing Dredd... nice to see a very different take on Dredd's way of thinking. I suspect this will be a grim tale. Keen to see what happens next.

The Diaboliks This starts off better than the stuff set in Rome but I still have no reason to care about these horrible characters. The first run of Diaboliks I rather enjoyed and I'm not really sure what the difference is but very muych dislike this.

Scarlet Traces More of the same as last time out: looks incredible, moving things forward. The babys name is VERY interesting... Enjoying this a lot.

Future Shock Decent little tale, nothing outstanding but worked well for the format, cool stuff.

The Out Less keen on this episode compared to the ones we've had of late. Visually it's striking but the stuff about concerts superfans just seemed a bit... like it could have been in another strip with something potentially less interesting to say maybe? This strip seems to have settled down into a fairly lighthearted groove and whilst I appreciate it for what it is, I think it's less good than the first run for it as it all feels a bit lightweight. So it's good stuff, but I don't think it's the stunner that it started off as, if that makes sense? Anyway, solid episode here.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

The loss of Pandora means the Prog takes a small dip for me this week, but I still found it to be a very solid Prog. Like Mr Boots, I'm struggling a little with Diaboliks, but not to the point of actively disliking it. Dredd has interesting framing. Scarlet Traces blazes on. The Future Shock was good. The Out... not the best episode (and it feels a little less weird with the human quest) but it's still one of my favourite strips to ever appear in 2000 AD.

This week, then: Scarlet Traces > The Out > Judge Dredd > Future Shock > Diaboliks

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 November, 2021, 06:19:41 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 10 November, 2021, 05:01:34 AM
Nobody going to mention the fact that the baby in Scarlet Traces has the same name as [spoiler]the main protagonist of one of Ian Edginton's other stories[/spoiler]?

The great Crisis in the Infinite Edgverse gets nearer...

Yeah I did spot that and thought about it for a bit [spoiler]as in is the Earth in Scarlet Traces now meant to be the one in Brass Sun? And indeed the whole solar system. But given that's clock work one, I don't see how that works. And so I rejected that notion. Unless ST is headed in the direction of explaining how the clock work solar system came about. :-\[/spoiler]

broodblik

Maybe Edginton just like the name
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

That has already been explained though, and it wasn't the Martians. Also that happened centuries before Wren was born.

Magnetica

You're right- it doesn't make any sense to link ST and BS.

Can you remind me what the explanation was in Brass Sun?

norton canes

So that cover is just phenomenal - Ravne's brooding presence, and the way that tentacle caresses Jake's cheek. I was comparing it to the version previewed on the inside back page of last week's Regened though, don't know if it's the printing process but the current version has more of a turquoise tinge. And come on, but doesn't the nice sans-serif caption last week look massively better than the nasty font used on this one?

A nice grisly Dredd kicks off with an intriguing plot. Although, are the dreams of the wealthy actually going to be any better than those of the poor? In fact when you think about it surely the dreams of the wealthy are going to be less interesting then those of the poor because the wealthy have more stuff and therefore have less likelihood of dreaming about it...? Hmm.

Diaboliks absolutely rocks, the shift to London makes this feel like a return to Absalom, but with Caballistics, Inc. style art. The fantastic splash page means this clinches TOP THRILL

I'm afraid Scarlet Traces is losing me a bit on plot-heavy weeks like this so not such a great instalment. Nothing wrong with the Future Shock that a few charred skeletons to bring the twist home wouldn't fix - the Richardson droid acquits themself well on their debut and I can see myself enoying their run on a weekly strip if TMO decrees it should come to pass.

Finally The Out riffs well on the well-trod trope of reclusive pop star. Ha, just noticed 'A stereo space odyssey' in the corner of one frame - an excellent reference for anyone who enjoyed listening to the flipside of their Star Wars soundtrack LP

Southstreeter

Just back from a week's holiday, and I see it's still not arrived. Mind you, the previous one (Regened) only arrived while I was away, so at least a week late.... Won't expect 2258 for another week then.

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Prog 2257

Tricky choice for me this week with no real clear winner.

Each thrill was ok and none had a shocker

1st - Dredd - darker Dredd tale with a great startup ep. So used to seeing Coleby's art in the Rogue Trooper universe so it was good to see him on Dredd. Dream Police episode tag coming up maybe?

2nd - The Diaboliks - nice setup episode for next series in London with a crew of opponents to battle

3rd - Scarlet Traces - pips The Out to third with neither having their strongest ep this time round. Scarlet Traces gets the bronze for the story flow from panel to panel.

Loved the first couple of pages of the Future Shock but it finished all too quick for me.
also some great Art Stars work by Peter Yong  :thumbsup: