Main Menu

Weird War Stories

Started by JimBob, 09 June, 2003, 06:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

Anyone interested in collaborating on a possible fanzine? I've wanted to look at the weird war genre, Fiends of the Eastern Front, a more martial General Jumbo and Mach 4's counter-commie adventures. Theres a previous set of scripts for a Fiends and Mach 1 idea I had months ago floating round herew somewhere  but I was thinlking of smaller, self contained and hopefully better stories.
 If anyone fancies getting involved (sadly I draw like a hatless monkey) in what I'll laughbly call the project let me know

paulvonscott

Jimbob you nutter, where have ye been?

Solar Wind one has been and gone and you were not counted among the chosen to board our space ark.

I hope you'll seriouslly consider getting off your arse and doing something for a future issue.

2.  Same as before + girls comics
3.  Same as before with Christmas as a theme
4.  Same as before + WAR COMICS!

Let me know, no pressure if you can't hack it.

Cheers

Paul

Quirkafleeg

The mighty Solar Wind blows all other fanzines away...

Actually I might be able to manage something in my increasing hectic life.

On and Paul, Welcome Home

DavidXBrunt

Trout

Indeed. Better to post here than waste your time writing letters to Comics International.

Yes, I spotted you! :-)

- Trout

JimBob

Ah during my exile I've clobbered together lots of stuff. I'm yet to see the mighty Solar Wind but I'm sure it'll crap on "Achtung!Vampire!"

The Enigmatic Dr X

So long as the cover has a terrified Tommy holding back the hordes of undead with one final plea...

"At least wait until I've read this fanzine!"http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/158.jpg">
Lock up your spoons!

JimBob

Great Cover!
Had a few e-mails on this I'm firming up on a couple of stories:

Achtung!Vampire! a Fiends of the Eastern Front tale, with more impaling, werewolves and Golems than before.

MACH 4: Ice Nazis Must Die. Mach 4 v Joe 90 at Ultima Thule the Nazis hidden Antartic base.

I'ld be interested in any Ant Wars or Bill Savage ideas.
 For any one interested in collaboration i've got available script samples for Mach 4. A.V is taking its time though.

JimBob

Bolt-01

Jimbob, I've got a Bill savage story that I'm 'almost' ready to do, if you want it.

Thats if Cosmic Ray wil let me.

Rotts

paulvonscott

Nothing to do with me Rotts, I was just pestering JimBob, because he said he'd do something for Solar Wind and I intend to make sure he fulfills that sacred oath...

And I had problems e-mailing him.

Incidentally, that letter back in May's (158) Comics International was just sent to Dez as a sort of desperate plea, but he printed it as a letter.  Which was fine really.

Cheers

Paul

Quirkafleeg

I missed that CI... you wanna let us know what you said.

DavidXBrunt

I'll paraphrase for Paul. His letter was something along the lines of,

Hi, my name is Paul. My friends call me M.O.A., which stands for Man Of Action. I beat some drug dealers up and they didn't come back.

Please print a story where Punisher kills some junkies, where a helicopter crashes into them for three issues. It would sell lots.

Thanks,
Paul Scott, M.O.A., Durham.

paulvonscott

Well, I feel a bit guilty for hijacking Jimbob's thread here, so go on, contribute to his fanzine!

Now that's over, I just suggested that a reprint comic in the format of Comics International.  100 pages, colour cover, B/W insides of classic UK strips, plus features and articles could go down a storm in the current climate.

I think I suggested Steel Claw (which I've been reading due to a cash of Valiants I picked up) and it's great stuff, hokey as hell, but astoundingly well drawn and a lot of fun.  Leopard of Lime Street and Doomlord (goes without saying), plus stuff like Monster from Eagle and well, there's a relatively untapped wealth of british stories that people would like to read.

I think Dez liked the idea, but admitted that time and various 'reality' problems were against him.  Which were quite understandable.

I also bigged up the Megazine for Darkies War.

Nothing to do with the Punisher.  I support a system of education and treatment over vigilante beatings and mob slayings.

JimBob

DXB I've got a horrible feeling that thats based on a real letter to the Punisher. Please tell me I'm wrong.

DavidXBrunt

You're not wrong. It was reprinted in Comics International.