Main Menu

Hi everyone!

Started by Chrrow, 26 October, 2012, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrrow

Hello guys! Finaly I can post to this forum. Took several days for the admins to activate my account. O: Almost thought they would never do it. ^^

I always have been very interested in Judge Dredd. As a teenager I used to look into the comics in one of our bookstores and I loved it. Never had the money to buy them though. I also loved the movie even if it was nothing like the comics and I still like to watch it. I even enjoyed that rather bad PS2 game Dredd vs. Death and bought it again for the old XBox a few days ago. Also I can't wait for the new movie to come to Germany!

Even if I'm that interested I don't call myself a fan because I don't know much about the comics. That is one of the reasons why registered to this forum. I'd like some advice where to start, what to know and where to buy it. Do I have to start with the old 70s comics, or is there something like modern remakes? How many comics or series are there and were to get them?

SmallBlueThing

Welcome, and i hope you're wearing a tough hat because when you begin to get answers to your questions your head may well explode!
It's always nice, as an oldie who was there at the start and who has lived this comic each week since, to see someone on the cusp of fandom. And unlike most other things, 2000AD is absolutely worth the time, money and effort. Enjoy getting into it!

SBT

TordelBack

Welcome Chrrow!  I've been pondering your question for a few minutes now, and I think I now need a bit of a sit down.  Where to start.  That's a good'un: there are a vast number of series, reprints and even the odd do-over to choose from, from the the idea-packed madness of the late '70s to finely-honed genius of the present. 

So my best answer: buy a current Prog (the weekly comic), either from ye olde shoppe if you live in a civilised part of the world, or order a hard copy or just the digital version at http://shop.2000adonline.com/categories/comics - it's seldom been better than it is right now. Maybe try a few to get your head in the right place, and then when you've an idea of what stories take your fancy, start looking into the collections.

Others will be along shortly with more detailed advice.  Enjoy!

Chrrow

@SmallBlueThing
Hello and thx! I'll risk it to get into the Judge Dredd comics. xD I'm sure it's fun to give newbies some advice. ^^

@TordelBack
Thx for the efford. It's good to finaly have some starting point. I felt rather lost till now. I hope that there is some shop that sells Judge Dredd comics. Haven't seen one in ages... Our comic book store has gone out of business a few months ago and I prefer to hold something in my hand instead of just having some digital copy.