Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 February, 2021, 03:28:46 AM
As a comparison, I had to switch Ant-Man and the Wasp off after a bit because Paul Rudd.

Ugh, I cannot stand Paul Rudd. There's nothing at all I can point to; he's a perfectly good actor, it's just one of those inexplicable 'rubs me up the wrong way' type things. It's a view that's earned me nothing but scorn, derision and outright disgust!  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 January, 2021, 09:28:00 PM
I'd have gone for MIDSHITE. Which is where I am right now.

I should point out I haven't seen the film yet. I was just trying to offer TLS an alternative.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 February, 2021, 10:03:22 AM
It's a view that's earned me nothing but scorn, derision and outright disgust!  :lol:

Force your detractors to watch Knocked Up/This Is 40. For my money he plays one of the most hideous characters in cinema in those, and I'm honestly not sure if that's the intent.

Personally I can't help but like the bizarrely immortal Rudd (Clueless was 1995 FFS)  and his Antman, but I thought he was poorly served in Endgame. Quite like AM&tW though.

von Boom

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 February, 2021, 10:03:22 AM
As a comparison, I had to switch Ant-Man and the Wasp off after a bit because Paul Rudd.

Ugh, I cannot stand Paul Rudd. There's nothing at all I can point to; he's a perfectly good actor, it's just one of those inexplicable 'rubs me up the wrong way' type things. It's a view that's earned me nothing but scorn, derision and outright disgust!  :lol:
I will refer you to this video of Paul Rudd playing quantum chess against Stephen Hawking. Narrated by that excellent dude Keanu Reeves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi0BzqV_b44

pictsy

Quote from: von Boom on 01 February, 2021, 01:34:38 PM
I will refer you to this video of Paul Rudd playing quantum chess against Stephen Hawking. Narrated by that excellent dude Keanu Reeves.

That was a giggle.  Cheers :D

Rara Avis

Midsommar is a movie about a woman dealing with post-traumatic stress, who finds herself turning to her ill-equipped boyfriend for support because there's nobody else available. Whilst there is also a surface plot, this is really a movie about a woman in need of empathy who is not finding it in her available society.

It's also incredibly atmospheric, wonderfully acted (especially by the lead, Florence Pugh) and disturbingly wrought. I would say it's better than it's most obvious inspiration (which I'm deliberately failing to mention in a vain attempt to avoid major spoilers) primarily because I believe this has a more relatable subtext.

I also see it as an exploration of grief - from that harrowing opening scene to it's triumphant conclusion the action in the film also mirrors the 5 stages of grief. Also, I think it's not just about loss but also being lost, not having a place in the world.

Dandontdare

Quote from: pictsy on 01 February, 2021, 01:55:38 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 01 February, 2021, 01:34:38 PM

That was a giggle.  Cheers :D

Agreed - and he has a cool party trick too https://imgur.com/gallery/d4ltkyJ

radiator

Green Card.

Had never seen this movie before despite having very vivid memories of it being released and seeing the trailer a lot when I was a kid. Didn't realise until we put it on that it was directed by Peter Weir. Need to dig deeper into his back catalogue because I love everything I've seen of his.

It's a really lovely little film, and has a lightness of touch and a restraint that you don't often see in what is ostensibly a romantic comedy. For example the wedding itself happens in the first couple of minutes of the film and occurs off camera, which was surprising, and the film isn't afraid to let the audience connect the dots between the scenes themselves - eg the ending, which is satisfying despite leaving things decidedly unresolved. The two main characters have a fun 'opposites attract' dynamic, but it feels authentic and not forced or cliched. You can really get a sense that their two personalities and temperaments would complement and improve each others.

Gérard Depardieu is such an odd choice for a romantic lead (and quite a problematic figure these days), as he's quite a strange looking dude and the sort of actor who would never get given a role like this nowadays, when every actor has to basically look like a model. But there's definitely a kind of undeniable charisma to him.

Funny, sweet, and also an amazing time capsule of what was fashionable in the late 80s/early 90s.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2021, 08:55:19 PM
Green Card.

Had never seen this movie before despite having very vivid memories of it being released and seeing the trailer a lot when I was a kid. Didn't realise until we put it on that it was directed by Peter Weir. Need to dig deeper into his back catalogue because I love everything I've seen of his.

It's a really lovely little film, and has a lightness of touch and a restraint that you don't often see in what is ostensibly a romantic comedy. For example the wedding itself happens in the first couple of minutes of the film and occurs off camera, which was surprising, and the film isn't afraid to let the audience connect the dots between the scenes themselves - eg the ending, which is satisfying despite leaving things decidedly unresolved. The two main characters have a fun 'opposites attract' dynamic, but it feels authentic and not forced or cliched. You can really get a sense that their two personalities and temperaments would complement and improve each others.

Gérard Depardieu is such an odd choice for a romantic lead (and quite a problematic figure these days), as he's quite a strange looking dude and the sort of actor who would never get given a role like this nowadays, when every actor has to basically look like a model. But there's definitely a kind of undeniable charisma to him.

Funny, sweet, and also an amazing time capsule of what was fashionable in the late 80s/early 90s.
Green Card is one of the films my wife and I saw while were first dating. We watch it at least once a year.

Colin YNWA

Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods

Solid documentary about Grant Morrison, well I guess its kinda an extended interview with additional folks from the industry adding insight. Its fine, but doesn't talk us anything new... if you've read Supergods or anything much about him. Its fun and GMozz himself remains disarmingly charming and seemingly honest.

It also struck how much he's a strikingly beautiful Bob Mortimer...

... it lead me to a trailer for 'Dear Mr Watterson' a documentry that explores Calvin and Hobbes. I've only watched the first 3 or 4 minutes but it left me beaming from ear to ear. That ones next...

Smith

This is Spinal Tap. Now I understand some meme better. 🙂

TordelBack

The Dig. Some lovely performances from Fiennes, Mulligan and Stott, and Lily James keeps getting more beautiful by the hour, but ultimately a bit maudlin and (dare I say it) a bit light on the actual archaeology. Still, good attention to (tweaked) detail and nice to see Basil Brown get his well-deserved place in popular consciousness.

Sputnik is a neat little Alien meets Colossal outing with wonderful Soviet atmosphere and institutional architecture that made me nostalgic for my days in UCD's Belfield campus. The two leads, Oksana Akinshina and Fedor Bondarchuk are both terrific, and the alien design is novel and scary. Recommended.

pictsy

Hot Tub Time Machine

Urgh.  There is soooo much wrong with this film.  A retro 80s nostalgia comedy that has gross attitudes of the 80s alongside gross attitude of the 00s.  One of the most disturbing things is the depiction of the married man.  You want the best tip on how not to be henpecked and emasculated by your wife?  Shouting obscenity and verbally abusing a 9 year old girl.  That'll keep her in her place and make sure she doesn't cheat.  That's only the tip of the iceberg.  Fuck this film.

I still find it entertaining and it made me laugh more than once.  Fuck me as well, I guess.

So, the film is about arseholes, it has an arsehole attitude and doesn't have anything worthwhile to say about anything and the characters don't really learn any real lessons.  In the end, the take away for me is there is stuff I know is awful that I can happily watch.  I already knew that.  What a waste of time.

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 February, 2021, 08:52:44 PM
The Dig. Some lovely performances from Fiennes, Mulligan and Stott, and Lily James keeps getting more beautiful by the hour, but ultimately a bit maudlin and (dare I say it) a bit light on the actual archaeology. Still, good attention to (tweaked) detail and nice to see Basil Brown get his well-deserved place in popular consciousness.

Agreement here, on all points. Definitely worth the watch.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 February, 2021, 10:14:47 PM
Grant Morrison: Talking with Gods

I managed about half of this before needing a break - and might do the other half later. It is interesting, but also a bit like someone who won't shut up about their drug experiences and imagines they're more significant than coincidence. For some reason, I really like that sort of narrative from Bill Drummond but find it a bit smug coming from Grant Morrison. Does he really believe he's had an out of body experience to an extra-solar location, or is he just bullshitting for fun? I suppose I just don't find him credible.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 February, 2021, 10:36:07 PM
I managed about half of this before needing a break - and might do the other half later. It is interesting, but also a bit like someone who won't shut up about their drug experiences and imagines they're more significant than coincidence. For some reason, I really like that sort of narrative from Bill Drummond but find it a bit smug coming from Grant Morrison. Does he really believe he's had an out of body experience to an extra-solar location, or is he just bullshitting for fun? I suppose I just don't find him credible.

Smug is certainly a word I'd use to describe Grant Morrison.  I don't find the man credible either.  A few years ago I went on a slight binge on reading interviews with him and an "essay" he wrote and fell into a rabbit hole where the more I read about him, the more I disliked him.