Main Menu

FFT - ROUND of 16 - The Out vs Brink - Heat 02

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 August, 2022, 06:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Rogue Judge

Southstreeter

norton canes

Yeah, tough. Brink's rigidly plotted narrative versus The Out's impulsive sprawl. Brink's crisp hi-contrast artwork versus The Out's messy frames spilling into each other. Brink's human race trapped (apparently) in the solar system versus The Out's colossal human diaspora. Brink's wrench attack versus The Out's Tankinar reveal.

Hmm.

Still can't make up my mind. Have to think about it some more.

Aaron A Aardvark

You can't make me choose! I won't do it.

The Out

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

This is the single hardest round so far. How can I choose between the two strips that I think are the strongest Tharg has at the moment?

This is painful.

Every time I reread Brink it gets better. I even thoroughly enjoyed the audio adaptation- and those things usually send me off to sleep quicker than a roast dinner, a glass of brandy and an afternoon of James Bond on the telly. Brink is superb, and with this recent series- mostly devoid of the characters we have seen up til now- has proven the format is compelling enough to support many different stories- which is surely the very epitome of what 'Classic 2000AD' should be.

On the other hand, The Out is brain-meltingly good. If it were a novel, I'd be all over it. If it were a tv series, I'd stay in to watch- like we used to do before tv became just 'content', to be consumed as and when we could be arsed.

The two are very different, related only by their writer, almost diametrically opposed in their set-up and themes- as well as their art styles.

Logic says Brink, because we've had more of it. Heart says The Out, because I love it so much.

Heart wins. The Out.

SBT

Sean SD

Blue Cactus

Such a tough call. After two series of each strip, they'd both become absolute favourites. But Brink has had three more series so I'm voting for it by default.

Brink

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

With a day to go this one looks close, but one thrill just seems to be peaking ahead...maybe. Last day votes could still swing this I suspect.... whatever happens please don't leave me the casting vote then we wrap up tomorrow morning.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

So it wasn't that close, at least in number of votes with the winner getting almost twice as many. In terms of each individual vote I think many, many were close. This was a tough, tough call. In my headI'd decided if it was a draw I'd go The Out on the simple basis that its just that little bit more different and fresh, but both are and while Brink has the volume it feels more at home in 2000ad, while The Out has blown away what 2000ad can be... but would I when I came to type... I'm not so sure... thankfully I didn't need to make the call and

Brink

ominously crawls into the Quarter Final.