Main Menu

Newsnight - Alan Grant & Dredd

Started by CraveNoir, 09 February, 2008, 11:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

Just stumbled across a torrent from Newsnight Scotland, 29th January '08, on UKNova. Alan Grant is interviewed about the way our society seems to be heading towards the Judge Dredd world. It's an eleven minute piece, and Grant is interviewd for five minutes.

You'll need to join UKNova to access the torrent.

http://www.uknova.com/wsgi/torrent/view/55048

Maybe someone could put it on YouTube?

Link: http://www.uknova.com/wsgi/torrent/view/55048" target="_blank">Newsnight Scotland UKNova

CraveNoir

JOE SOAP

That's hilarious, glad Dredd is still in the public conciousness.

JOE SOAP

Good to hear him add a bit of comic spiel during the interview.

Buttonman

Thanks for sticking that up. Best bit is when Grant wrongfoots the interviewer by stating that Britain is a fascist state. Quick rustle of the notes after that!

Adrian Bamforth

I don't know how far Alan Grant's tongue is pushed into his cheek when he says things like: "There is absolutely no scientific evidence that global warming is man-made", but if I didn't know who was saying it I would have attributed some of these comments to the kind of MP who gets kicked out of the Tory party for being too right-wing, some self-righteous tabloid columnist or shock jock.

It's fun to be outspoken but the fact that Alan can go on the BBC and express his anti-government views is hardly the kind of thing that would be tolerated in anything like a fascist state. Polititians are scrutinised far more now than at any time in the past. What's more, there's other things that USED to be banned which now aren't, such as being gay.

The Nazis were not the Nazis by banning smacking smoking near others. Ironically, the world of Judge Dredd came about from environmental ruin through war, with much of the Earth turned to desert, in much the same way global warming might effect the Earth... except there's no evidence for that whatsoever.  

Buttonman

In the JD film they changed the cause of the Cursed Earth from a nuclear to an enviromental cause - another reason why it is better than the comic!

JOE SOAP

***The Nazis were not the Nazis by banning smacking smoking near others.***

He wasn't talking about Nazis though, he was talking about fascism. Not all fascists were Nazis and there's is not one all conclusive type of fascism or cryptofascism.

As far as evidence for global warming goes, it has become so variant and lobby driven that statements like "the majority of scientists agree..." etc. can be misleading and selective. Many "scientists" have become like consultants, you pay them to answer questions and they try to give you the answer you paid them for using selective reductionist evidence.

I don't know what's causing global warming and I daresay all of us on the board don't know or have the expertise to know  either. Such is the knowledge saturation that exists now.

Adrian Bamforth

Because the evidence isn't conclusive doesn't mean there's no evidence. There is evidence though as yet no absolute proof.

Similarly, there isn't, as far as I know, absolute proof of evolution, though only a twat would say there's absolutely no evidence of it.

Because fascism can vary doesn't mean one can associate anything they don't like with it:
Wikipedia describes fascism as a drive to forge a "type of national unity, usually based on (but not limited to) ethnic, cultural, racial, religious attributes". At the moment there's just as much outrage that government allows for too much multiculturalism.

TordelBack

There's a problem equating Evolution with Anthropogenic Global Warming.  Evolution through natural selection is the only (scientific) theory that fits all the evidence.  Global Warming is a phenomenon (and a disputed one), and has many competing theories to explain the evidence.  My money, and frankly nearly all the smart money, is on the hairless apes trying to stave off the dark being the major cause, but I've seen enough evidence for dramatic climatic changes long before we got involved to retain a shred of doubt.  

It's a bit like the old smoking-is-bad-for-you debate - the vested interests might dispute and sue and produce suspiciously sourced evidence to the contrary, but that didn't mean that people shouldn't have stopped smoking long before the case for the prosecution was proved.  Absolute proof can be a long time coming, you might want to think about jumping ship before the baliff returns the actual verdict.  

Ignatzmonster

Grant comes off as a kook. I thought he sounded an amusing kook, my wife, "What a fucking moron!"

The predictions of the smoking ban being right doesn't disturb me as much as the cameras on every corner in some towns and the degree to which we can be tracked in our movements. That's the eerie shit right there.

Hoarding sweeties so I can be Al Capone when the refined sugar ban hits.

Buttonman

The global warming stuff is really tiresome. We have weather records for what? 300 years? and about 2000 years of recored history. The planet is 4.5 billion years, old yet we assume our small tenancy is the root of all possible ills. They had ice ages before people used deodorants you know!

Peter Wolf

Alan Grant is right and he is half right on global warming.

So instead of the usual lengthy opinionated posts thats it.

Almost....

No Thats it.

Must Resist,must resist, must resist,

[None of you have any idea how difficult that was]

"So on that bombshell we will have a look at tomorrows infotainment in the papers"

What a good idea as we dont want ripples in the water.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JOE SOAP

***Alan Grant is right and he is half right on global warming. ***

How do you know?

Peter Wolf

Whoops double post !

Oh dear never mind.

You are absolutly right but for one thing mainly.

Deforestation thats unprecandented at least at this point in time .

That cant be good and will certainly affect the climate plus all the rest.Everyone seems to forget this on the most part.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death