Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It always bugged me that there were never any pictures of Pluto in textbooks. What does Pluto look like? A deceptively simple question that has finally been answered. Only took 85 years.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Indeed. I'm getting the same sense of wonder I experienced all those years ago from the Voyager missions. Fantastic!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

The New Horizons missions is almost eerily well timed with the release of Armada by Ernest Cline (which I'm reading). I'm loving the photos, [spoiler]but I'm very glad that we didn't find a giant swastika on the surface of Pluto a la the book.[/spoiler]

It's missions like that this that remind us why space exploration and science is not only necessary, but beautiful.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

What a marvellous image, that. Just superb.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

We are living in great times in terms of extreme planetary exploration. Simply wonderful. Z

The Legendary Shark

Indeed. How long before somebody figures out how to capture images (probably fuzzy at first) of extrasolar planets? I hope I live long enough to see that!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

We can barely resolve pluto even from the hubble scope(and that's above the atmosphere). 5 light hours away. Extra solar planets. Gotta be decades away? Z

Hawkmumbler

At the rate planetary exploration has excelorated over the last decade alone, you can bet on it.

ZenArcade

You would need a massive array near the oort cloud to really resolve images. Mind you I'm probably wrong. Z

The Legendary Shark

Maybe an arrangement of massive lenses millions of miles apart? I don't know. Have to be careful, though, if it's set up wrong we might set fire to Jupiter!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade