Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Meggies

Best Art

Colin MacNeil s going to do fine by himself so I'll use my vote to salute an often overlooked star of 2000ad Jim Baikie. One the absolute best.

Best Writing

Where as here I think its really hard to look beyond John Wagner.

Best Overall Story

Its such a strong opening line up, but across all the years of 2000ad and the Meg there are few stories, if any that top America.

Best Year of the Megazine

1990 'cos ya know...

MVP

While John Wagner clearly gets a lot of credit I think this one has to go to Steve McManus for finally getting the comic across the line and (I think if I recall the hisstory correctly) getting a right deals for creators meaning they got top talent and John Wagner onboard for the launch.

Leigh S

Best Art: In an exceptionally strong field, it's still Carlos by a country mile for the pure spectacle of his achievement on Necropolis (plus countdown)

Best Writing: similarly, Mllls is putting up great competition here with Slaine as is Morrison with Zenith. But John Wagner's craft is so strong, reaching a whole other level.  Even more impressive when you consider his disillusionment with how he was being treated at this time (unless John Sanders had placated him regards the creators share of the profits at this point?)

Best Overall Thrill: Necropolis is such an achievement and provides a reliable spine of quality for the comic just at the right time.

Best Month of Progs: January continued that incredible run from the end of 1989 - cracks start to show for me and it's a helter skelter ride downwards for my enjoyment of the prog.  Start the year with the lead in to Necropolis, Chopper, Slaine and Zenith?  End it with Time Flies, Silo, and the Fleischer one-two punch of Harlem Heroes and Junker? Kill off my favourite character as you go?  That felt like a real unprecedented dive in quality, with only Necropolis and Slaine keeping me hopeful at the latter end of 1990.

MVP: The Megazine itself! If you want to give it to a person, then Steve MacManus for his part in finally getting the Meg up and running.

Best year.... 1984! 

as for the megazine

artist: Colin Macneil deserves a shout out for America, though it's proably just as much for Chopper and Stront (though it was infuriating that he landed at the end of the strip when he if anyone could have made it his own it was he)

writer:  John Wagner again. nuff said!

story: the double whammy of Necropolis and America would have been a great end to Wagners time on Dredd, but so much more stellar writing to come from him.

mvp: The Megazine itself - Just as the prog dropped off a cliff for me, along came the Megazine to keep me engaged in 2000AD at a time when I might have been better served spending my creds on beer....

AlexF

For the Prog:
Best Art: Will Simpson on the War Machine. War is indeed Hell.
Best Writing: John Wagner no contest
Best overall thrill: Necropolisssssssss
Best Month: January
Best Year (since 1987): 1988
MVP: the front cover! Some crackers in 1990, especially by David Hine

For the Meg:
Stop it, you're being silly, you can't run an awards show based on three issues of a comic! Drokking hell!
That said, I will name my MVP as Judge Death - it's his story that got young me, age 12, to buy issue 1 on the newstands. I stayed for the nudity in America.

SpaceSpinner2000

I'm falling behind! Enjoy this double post!

In our thrilling two hundred and thirty-third episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1990. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1990 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1991 from both 2000AD and our show!

Direct Download

In our mega third episode Eli and Conrad take a break from monthly megazines to reminisce on the whole of the Judge Dredd Megazine for the year 1990. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1990 Meggies! At the end of every chronological year in our meg timeline we give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1991 from both the Megazine and our show!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episodes!

Also a quick note: We'll be putting out new episodes every other week for the rest of the year, but don't worry, we'll have some piping hot collection episodes for you in the meantime!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

AlexF

I mean, if anyone's earned a bit of a break it's you guys!
And frankly it'll give me a chance to play catch-up. I know there's no actual reason why us mere listeners should be on top of these things but it's nice to try.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've not been running this week (due to teeth surgury pain) and so have got a little behind so this was actually well timed!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and thirty-second episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1990 Winter Special of 2000AD. This is a Laff-o-Rama special, with jokes and silliness aplenty! Or at least that's the idea. Will they succeed? We'll find out together!

This episode Conrad is joined by friend of the show Graham Cannon, who was a great sport about rerecording this episode after there was a recording error with the first one, which is why this episode is coming out two weeks late!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Not enough droid puns.  I'm sure forumites will chip* in.

* chip is my starter for ten.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2020, 09:02:18 AM

Hey we don't want to become the 'bot of some joke...

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 November, 2020, 09:04:02 AM

Play along and I'm sure you'll disk-over a sensor humour.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2020, 01:03:47 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 November, 2020, 09:04:02 AM

Don't be too hard-driving your point home.

Play along and I'm sure you'll disk-over a sensor humour.

SpaceSpinner2000

I meant to say that Burt goes from Sub-Editor Android to Sub-Editor PUNdroid!

The Monarch

god fuck fervent and lobe thank god other than non speaking cameos in indigo prime they never show up again

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and thirty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 712-715 of 2000AD, covering January 1991. This episode Conrad and Fox have switched places once more! Can Fox hope to contain a rowdy and belligerent Conrad? We'll find out. Stay tuned to the end to hear Conrad's drunken mythology!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The Monarch