Main Menu

Is this It For Ghostbusters Two....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 February, 2016, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Not sure how much the lowly UK will actually add to that but it looks like the China knock back will lose them a few yuans. Though the original films did great without China so there should be no excuses in that regard if the film doesn't do well.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 14 July, 2016, 07:35:55 PM
Not sure how much the lowly UK will actually add to that but it looks like the China knock back will lose them a few yuans. Though the original films did great without China so there should be no excuses in that regard if the film doesn't do well.

Foreign films only receive 25% of Chinese box-office earnings as opposed to roughly 50% in the US - Chinese distributors/the state get the rest. Unless a film earns hundreds of millions in China - not common - it's not that big a loss.

Big_Dave

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 July, 2016, 07:39:50 PMForeign films only receive 25% of Chinese box-office earnings as opposed to roughly 50% in the US - Chinese distributors/the state get the rest. Unless a film earns hundreds of millions in China - not common - it's not that big a loss.

I was thinking about that earlier but couldn't remember the percentage. Even Jurassic World's $200m China take isn't much with that taken into account. Compared to what it made overall, that is.

James Dilworth

Went to see it this afternoon and I found it thoroughly enjoyable! 

I was smiling and chuckling the whole way through.  The cast are all incredibly charming, affable and funny.

The action is VERY cartoony and clearly geared towards a younger audience but it sits well within the general tone of the film.  The Ghostbusting plot itself is a bit patchy but the whole film is so light and breezy it didn't really matter that much.

I really do hope this film does well.  I left the cinema in such an upbeat mood I genuinely want them to  come back for more. 

Big_Dave

Ghostbusters is heading toward a $45M weekend opening after winning Friday with a $17.1M gross.

Ghostbusters cost $144M (plus $100M P&A), so anything in the $40M range is a mediocre start for this reboot. Anything north of $50M is ideally safer.

Ghostbusters could still get to a $50M opening thanks to an A- CinemaScore with the under 25 crowd, and an overall B+.

Initial estimates for Ghostbusters were in the low $30M range, but thanks to great reviews (at 73% fresh) and a blitzkrieg marketing campaign, the studio made more than expected.

While a B+ CinemaScore typically generates a final domestic B.O. that's 3 times a film's opening weekend, Melissa McCarthy's films usually make between 4 and 6 times their opening weekends, so it's possible that Ghostbusters could see a final domestic B.O. that's north of $150M.

Roger Ebert had some fascinating insights about the 1984 Ghostbusters, which still ring true today with VFX comedies in general.

"This movie is an exception to the general rule that big special effects can wreck a comedy," wrote Ebert in his review of the original film, further adding on his show At the Movies that Ghostbusters "is the funny combination of two types of movies that usually don't work well together.

On one hand this is a big budget special effects picture with lots of sensational, earth shaking effects in it, and on the other hand, it's a very funny movie to listen to because of the sly and understated dialogue."

The fact of the matter is that VFX comedies are still hard to pull off at the B.O. and if you count them up, the successes are far and few between (read Men in Black, Night at the Museum, and arguably Bruce Almighty and Ted). Adam Sandler's arcade comedy Pixels was billed as a kind-a of Ghostbusters type comedy  last summer, but failed with $78.7M at the domestic B.O.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/

Tiplodocus

Thumbs up from the Tips household. Takes a while to get going but some good laughs and a good general tone of fun and breeziness keep you engaged. Some of it is a bit... er... broad and you can see some of the jokes coming but the charm of the characters/cast wins through (contrast with what a dick Bill Murray's character is in the original).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mardroid

I saw it today.

I found some of the banter between the ladies a bit tedious, but overall it was pretty good.

I'll admit I was concerned the characters might turn out to be female versions of the originals  but thankfully they were all original and distinct personalities in their own right.

This is not a remake at all. It's a film that plays with the idea "what would happen if the Apocalyptic ghost think happened in a different if similar world and was fought by another group of defenders. And it worked.  Similar tropes, certainly, but that was to be expected and was no bad thing.

Was it as good as the original? In my opinion, no, it wasn't. But it was a lot of fun, and that's the main thing. 

Stan

$46m domestic and $65m worldwide. So basically $33m wiped off the budget. They could really do without Star Trek coming out this weekend. Particularly as it's reviewing quite well.

The Ghostbusters release appears to be a little more spread out though, in fairness.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 July, 2016, 02:40:46 AM
It's a film that plays with the idea "what would happen if the Apocalyptic ghost think..."

Or "ghost thing" even.

Modern Panther

Got to see this yesterday, when Mrs Panther decided against Bourne.

For a film beset with horrible misogyny from the first announcement, Ghostbusters is ironically a pretty sexist film, with every male character either a weak weirdo or tragically stupid.  Hemsworth plays a character who, from the first appearance, appears to have mental health issues rather than be a loveable hunk of meat.  Imagine if the original, rather than a strong willed Sigourney Weaver, featured an idiotic bimbo who Bill Murray kept trying to molest.  It's that level of unpleasant.

There also appears to have been a [spoiler]big dance number removed from the final act[/spoiler] which then appears over the credits.  It's removal renders the[spoiler]transformation of new york into the 1970s [/spoiler] completely irrelevant.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Modern Panther on 31 July, 2016, 09:39:10 PMFor a film beset with horrible misogyny from the first announcement, Ghostbusters is ironically a pretty sexist film, with every male character either a weak weirdo or tragically stupid.
I'm not sure it's irony as a knowing gender flip of the status quo. I know a few blokes who've taken this in a negative fashion but most brushed it off as a swipe and thought fair enough. More to the point, I've seen countless women respond to complaints with, essentially, "Aw, you poor dears. That must be so difficult for you!" And while one might argue that sexism in either direction isn't a good thing, it's one thing to have it in a relatively knockabout comedy, and another to have it permeate through a huge range of films across all other genres, right to the present day.

Steve Green

Quote from: Modern Panther on 31 July, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
Got to see this yesterday, when Mrs Panther decided against Bourne.

For a film beset with horrible misogyny from the first announcement, Ghostbusters is ironically a pretty sexist film, with every male character either a weak weirdo or tragically stupid.  Hemsworth plays a character who, from the first appearance, appears to have mental health issues rather than be a loveable hunk of meat.  Imagine if the original, rather than a strong willed Sigourney Weaver, featured an idiotic bimbo who Bill Murray kept trying to molest.  It's that level of unpleasant.

There also appears to have been a [spoiler]big dance number removed from the final act[/spoiler] which then appears over the credits.  It's removal renders the[spoiler]transformation of new york into the 1970s [/spoiler] completely irrelevant.

[spoiler]The big dance number was in the leaked script - something along the lines of the villain taking control of the soldiers/police? I guess it was just cut and pasted[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Quote from: Modern Panther on 31 July, 2016, 09:39:10 PM
...an idiotic bimbo who Bill Murray kept trying to molest.  It's that level of unpleasant.

Wasn't that the first 10 minutes of the original film? A student in Venkman's university, no less. I agree that Any Sexism Is Bad, but the situation when reversed is almost every other mainstream film ever made. File this under 'knowing wink', I suspect.

All this with the caveat that I haven't seen this yet of course. ::)

GordonR

Yeah, we watched the original Ghostbusters very recently, and Bill Murray's intro scene is well creepy - misusing the authority of his job to try and seduce a female student about half his age.  And this is the scene that's supposed to make us like and sympathise with our deadpan hero.

How times change.