Main Menu

Prog 2130 - 2000ad Regened

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2019, 09:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Pretty damned excellent Prog. For a start it all looks wonderful. The one thing that baffles me is why its Prog 2130? If this was a relaunch Prog then fine. As it is its interrupted ongoing stories BUT isn't on comic shops for FCBD? Has Tharg just fumbled the timings or is there smarter marketing moves in play that I'm just not getting?

The way I see it if this was in the stops today, with loads of families coming in to get their free stuff, so was Prog 2129 this would have been an incredibly smart move. As its interrupted regular stories I can't see why this didn't happened. Of course the kids are getting free stuff today, so maybe its best in the shops when the free stuff has bitten them and they want some more comicy goodness... oh I don't know just as I see, from a point of ignorance, its a real shame this was there for folks to see today as its aces...

....well okay its not perfect but its still pretty damned aces. The only real problem is that the best new story Full Tilt Boogie, is way too much of an introduction and doesn't feel like a story in its own right. The art by Eduardo Ocana is simply stunning and the story perfect all ages 2000ad fodder. Money collecting gibbon bears catching down cool young characters, saved by creepy magic face dude summoning from goo caccoon a black clad ninja warrior dudette its just perfect stuff. Really kinetic, fun and sassy. Loved it BUT it was too open, too loose at the edges and I want more... but its a tease.

Finder and Keeper doesn't feel quite so perfectly 2000ad but is pretty good all the same. Cool characters and nice premise. Doesn't quite catch fire the way Boogie does but its a much more satisfying tale in itself.

There's also a frankly excellent Future Shock, looks stunning and while the ending isn't exactly shocking its entirely satisfying and if I was a kid reading this I think I'd love it... as a grumpy old man reading it I certainly did!

The other highlight is a glorious Cadet Dredd by Chris Weston. Fantastic call back with Krong, superb relationship between Dredd and Rico, giant thespian killer lizards, high comedy and thrilling action. Its just briliiant stuff.

Add to that entirely enjoyable Anderson and really pretty great Rogue Trooper, particularly like the way both kept the high levels of violence and action yet managed to soften the actual visceral kill toll, both in different and smart ways.

So yeah this is an absolute trimuph and Tharg... I mean Joko I demand more more MORE. Its just fantastic and I'm sure something of the quality, verve and thrillpower would find an audience if produced as a regular all ages comic.

McNulty

I'm afraid I've got to disagree with you about this week's prog. Aside from the outstanding Cadet Dredd strip I found the rest of the prog's artwork to be simply average, with the Future Shock and the Rogue Trooper being the best of a bad bunch. This is not to be a criticism of any of the new artists in particular but the art styles seem to be a little...generic. These strips could have been drawn by those doing Marvel comics at present such as Ms Marvel, Squirrel Girl or Captain Marvel. I found Full Tilt Boogie, Finder & Keeper and the Judge Anderson stories to be unengaging and forgettable. I don't mean to be cruel, and I do not disrespect the new artists and scriptwriters for what they have done, but I would ask them to show their individualities in art styles and storytelling. Anyone reading old 2000ADs would have not problems identifying a Gibson art story, an Ezquerra, Dillon, Bollard, Gibbons, O'Neil or Belardinelli story. I understand that new artists and scriptwriters have to work for a long time to develop their own unique styles and I do hope that they persevere and come up with some work that truly reflects the potential that they have shown. 

Richard

I liked the art on Full Tilt Boogie, and would be happy to see that artist return.

As always, Chris Weston's art was fabulous. The story was pretty good too, (I was slightly annoyed that Rico Dredd's badge had his first name on it.)

broodblik

The two new strips are like pilot episodes and might lead to some further development down the line. This is a quote out of the latest Meg 407 about these strips: There are also two new strips in the title, which Smith says
'act as pilots, should they prove popular'.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

TBH I would place myself in the 'slightly underwhelmed' camp.  Weston's art definitely helped lift what was a lighthearted, old fashioned Dredd script.  The Ezquerra nod with Krong was a nice touch but a lot of the episode was fairly predictable.  As a standalone it worked quite nicely mind.

Full Tilt Boogie for me was definitely the best of the rest.  Not completely sold on the artwork but for the most part it worked.  Dumping the reader into events and leaving them to figure out what was going on was a nice approach as well.  Plenty of scope for development there even it was a miss-mash of old and new ideas.  Certainly it would be interesting to see a short expanded run developing some of the ideas.

Finder and Keeper seemed like a re-hash of Bec and Kawl / Dandridge / Ghostbusters.  Not sure how much scope there would be there but I'm willing to give it a shot and see whether the creative team can surprise me.  I'd agree with Colin that it worked well as a one-off.  Perhaps that is the way to go for a while?

The Future Shock was an amusing and altogether topical little tale.  Lots to like and suitable artwork.  Definitely got a few chuckles from me.

I'm completely the opposite to Colin though on Anderson and Rogue.  Anderson was the stronger of these two and another topical tale was handled well.  For me this is an example of where Holden's art works best.  The slightly cartoony feel lent itself well to the virtual world involved.  Overall though it was just okay.

Rogue though struck me as a fairly derivative take on the character.  The big problem with Rogue and his team is that as characters they are fairly one dimensional.  It has often taken a more complex and nuanced opponent to lift the tale.  Unfortunately in this case that was lacking.  I would also agree with McNulty here with regard to art.  When you consider the calibre of artist on the strip over the years (Gibbons, Wilson, Ewins, Dillon, ...) any attempt to take on this character and his world is going to stack you up against powerful competition.  Those are some big shoes to fill.  So kudos for at least taking it on and perhaps to newer readers it will work better.

So overall as progs go it was fairly middle of the road for me.  How well it would work for a less familiar audience if that is indeed the intent is a different question.

moly

Thought it was ok, would definitely buy it for my daughter if they did this as a separate monthly comic

Darren Stephens

I enjoyed it a lot. The GF, who reads the prog every week too, said she would love to read more in the same style. Maybe it's time for a regular book aimed at the younger reader?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

DrJomster

I'm definitely buying this for the kids! WHSmiths on the way in to work tomorrow, I reckon.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

BPP

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 06 May, 2019, 08:24:23 PMThe GF, who reads the prog every week too, said she would love to read more in the same style. Maybe it's time for a regular book aimed at the younger reader?

Darren,you humble bragger you.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tomwe

I wholly enjoyed Regened!

The Dredd felt pretty much business as usual thanks to Weston's awesome artwork. Not entirely sure the brain removal panel counts as All Ages but I suppose the prog was originally aimed at this level with similar gross out moments.

Full Tilt Boogie was a highlight. I really enjoyed the setup and don't see any problem with this coming back to the regular prog. In line with the likes of Brass Sun? Art and writing on point here.

Glad Nick Roche got to draw some [spoiler]massive robots![/spoiler] But the redesigned Gunner was a turnoff, sorry.

If this proves anything its that the ethos of 2000AD can very easily be aimed at younger readers while still retaining what makes it unique.

MacabreMagpie

Man, the art is really strong throughout this prog. Can't point to a single strip that wasn't a treat for the ol' peepers.

Timothy

Krong, Morphy and Raider! For a comic aimed at new readers that is a nostalgia-heavy Dredd.

broodblik

I enjoyed the prog. I am sure that a weekly or monthly version will work and that we might see it rather earlier than later.

Hopefully we will see more of both Full Tilt Boogie and Finder & Keeper. Both these new strips work for me.

It is great to always to see Weston on art duty both 12-pages is even more awesomeness.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Full Tilt Boogie has a distinctly bandes dessinées feel to it. I'd be very happy to see it return.

Bolt-01

That was a total treat!

I thought the art was solid throughout (though I wish Gunnar wasn't quite so 'revised') and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the strips.

If this was a regular I'd be all over it.

#PraiseTharg!