Main Menu

The future is 35 years young in February!

Started by Molch-R, 07 December, 2011, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Galaxy's Greatest Comic to mark 35th birthday at SFX Weekender event in February

Break out the balloons, paper plates and the party poppers – it's 2000 AD's birthday!

The Galaxy's Greatest Comic is celebrating three and a half decades of Thrill-power at the SFX Weekender event in February, with its one and ONLY official 35th birthday party!

And what better way to mark this incredible moment in comics history than the legendary co-creators of classic characters Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog, John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra, appearing together for the first time in years!

Along with a glittering array of galactic talent, there'll be a special Friday night bash, and the 2000 AD team will be ensuring that the next 35 years gets off to a flying start with all the latest graphic novels plus giveaways and freebies!

Tickets can be purchased by going to http://www.sfxweekender.com/ and loyal Squaxx Dek Thargo can get 10% off the cost of tickets if they quote promotional code SFX2000 when ordering!

Back for a third year in 2012, the SFX Weekender will be packed with activities for fans: big-name guests, interviews, Q&A sessions, comic workshops, videogaming, music, book readings and plenty more. It will take place at Prestatyn Sands holiday camp in Wales from 3-4 February 2012.

"It's an incredible achievement for any British comic to reach 35 years of continuous publication," said 2000 AD editor Matt Smith, "and the fact that 2000 AD is still here is testament to the remarkable talents of the writers, artists, colourists, letterers, designers and editorial staff that have worked on it over the past three and a half decades – and, of course, to the loyal readership that continue to pick up the Galaxy's Greatest every week. We hope that the 35th birthday party at SFX Weekender will be a fitting celebration for everyone to raise a polystyrene cup in salute to Tharg's Mighty Organ!"

"We're thrilled to be celebrating 2000 AD's 35th anniversary at the SFX Weekender!" said Dave Bradley, editor of SFX. "The Galaxy's Greatest Comic has been incredibly influential through its history and remains a must-read – it makes sense to join up with the world's leading sci-fi mag for a fan-filled party. And meeting Judge Dredd legends Carlos Ezquerra and John Wagner will be a geek-tastic treat. Roll on February!"

Hitting newsstands for the first time on 26th February 1977, 2000 AD quickly established itself as the powerhouse in British comic books. While competitors fell away, the self-styled Galaxy's Greatest Comic became the proving ground for such incredible talent as Alan Moore, Mark Millar and Grant Morrison, as well creating some of the world's most famous and revered characters, including future lawman – and star of a new forthcoming Hollywood movie – Judge Dredd.

Dandontdare

happy Birthday Tharg!

The party (and the fact that John & carlos will be there) sounds great but the SFX weekender is horrendously expensive - 'silver' tickets are already sold out and gold or VIP weekend tickets are in the hundreds.

We shall raise an UNofficial glass to y'all at Hi-Ex!

gronk guy

HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!

Hi-Ex for me...... and the canny comic con on Saturday.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Molch-R on 07 December, 2011, 12:44:11 PM
Galaxy's Greatest Comic to mark 35th birthday at SFX Weekender event in February
"It's an incredible achievement for any British comic to reach 35 years of continuous publication," said 2000 AD editor Matt Smith, "and the fact that 2000 AD is still here is testament to the remarkable talents of the writers, artists, colourists, letterers, designers and editorial staff that have worked on it over the past three and a half decades – and, of course, to the loyal readership that continue to pick up the Galaxy's Greatest every week. We hope that the 35th birthday party at SFX Weekender will be a fitting celebration for everyone to raise a polystyrene cup in salute to Tharg's Mighty Organ!"

Who is this imposter? Does Tharg know about this? Rigellan Hotshots all round!
Lock up your spoons!

Trout

JINGS! We Tartan McJocks like to do our drinking in doubles.

We will toast the prog's birthday on January 28 at the Betelgeusian Burns Supper in Glasgow, then again at Hi Ex, Britain's best comic con, in Inverness on March 31.

Representatives of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic would be welcome at both events!

- Trout

Mike Carroll

So, the official 35th anniversary celebrations won't be held on the 35th anniversary, then? Shame!

I'd love to go to the SFX weekender, but we're already going to the Cardiff Comic Expo (25th & 26th February - the actual 35th anniversary of the first prog!) and Hi-Ex (31st March - 1st April), and three trips across the Irish Sea in two months is not really feasible... Unless someone wants to pay our travel and accommodation costs!

-- Mike

Dandontdare

Quote from: gronk guy on 07 December, 2011, 01:44:18 PM
HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!

To be fair, they do include accommodation (it's at a holiday camp). Daily tickets are something like £45, so add hotel costs and you'd be spending a similar amount.

chris_askham

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 December, 2011, 02:55:11 PM
Quote from: gronk guy on 07 December, 2011, 01:44:18 PM
HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!

To be fair, they do include accommodation (it's at a holiday camp). Daily tickets are something like £45, so add hotel costs and you'd be spending a similar amount.

Yes, but have you been to that holiday camp? I spent a week there with the family in the summer just gone, and have no wish to return in this life time (and probably not the next either)...

Mike Carroll

That was the location of the last Carroll family holiday, in 1983... I was seventeen. The only thing I remember about the place was that they had a good collection of arcade machines, which consumed about 90% of my waking hours... It'd be interesting to go back.

Of course, it's not really that far from Holyhead. I could just take the ferry for a day-trip...
-- Mike

James Stacey

Waaaay out of my price range. I'll raise a glass at the Cardiff Expo instead.

bluemeanie

Yeah, we were actually offered free tickets to this but still couldnt justify the additional costs and there was nobody on the bill that could tempt us into going. This was pre-Wagner and 2000AD getting involved of course, but still

Guess I'll be another one pouring one out for my thargy homeys at Cardiff instead

Emperor

I'd dismissed this without looking to see what the venue is, but Prestatyn isn't a million miles away from me (AA Route Finder says I could drive there in a little over an hour). A day pass seems a little steep considering you aren't staying over but this could be doable... At least until my legendary planning abilities kick in anyway ;)

[edit: And I would basically be passing through the middle of Liverpool, so if anyone was thinking of coming in by train but was put off by having to change at Chester and get on the old North Wales line I would be only a stones throw from Lime Street...]
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Tiplodocus

Sounds grand. I'm sure there's a big crossover of sfx readers and squaxx (even lapsed ones) so the party should go with a swing.  Sadly I'm already commited to Hi-Ex. Hope it all goes swimmingly.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Glad to see this in Wales, they don't get much in the way of thrills  :D

I won't be there but will join King Trout in the Betelgeusian Burns Supper and HI Ex celebrations instead.
DDT did a job on me