Main Menu

The future is 35 years young in February!

Started by Molch-R, 07 December, 2011, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

You need to remember that 2000AD, much as we love it, is a product.
It is the job of the company that produces it to sell that product to as many people as possible, and doing what a small group of hard core fans want will not make new fans. Going to things like the Weekender will though.
If they ignore  chances to spread the word then we'll end up in the same state as Marvel and DC and just be making comics for an increasingly ageing and shrinking audience.
That's if we're lucky - if we're not we could end up with no comic at all.

bluemeanie

Quote from: King Trout on 09 December, 2011, 12:06:45 PM
In my opinion, the great tragedy of Molcher getting a job with 2000AD is that everybody on this board seems to have stopped ripping the piss out of him.
;)

- Trout

I heard they only employed him so that when they do go to cons and events they can write "Buy 2000AD" on his forehead and you can see it wherever you stand

chris_askham

And 35 years seems an apt time to think what an absolute bloody miracle it is that 2000ad is still going at all, when you consider all that's been and gone since '77. It's a credit to the hard work of the team behind the scenes.
I know for sure that if the prog did disappear from the shelves, then they'd be a sizeable something missing from my life. Even during my wilderness years, it was a comfort to see the prog still sitting on the shelves of WH Smiths.

Dandontdare

I've got no problem with 2000ad being at SFX, this is a great idea and a good chance to attract new readers.

I hope I didn't come across as "bitching" by merely saying that I can't afford three hundred odd quid in February.  I'm sure we are all supportive of the prog (we have been buying it for decades) and as many have pointed out we'll be celebrating with each other, and whatever droids we meet, at Cardiff Expo, Hi Ex and others through the year, even though they may not be 'official' celebrations.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 December, 2011, 12:02:38 PM
As a fan of the comic I feel that the reward I want for my 'loyal' readership is a team that is doing all it can to keep the comic alive and hopefully thriving into the future. The quality of the comic itself is reward enough for me.

Mmmm-hmmm.  There's no point Tharg and Molch-R preaching to the converted, at least not just to the converted.  If that means reaching out to the unholy legions of SFX readers and US cosplayers rather than a cosy pub chatwith the usual suspects, then that's how it has to be.  Bringing law to the lawless etc. Wider readership = more secure future. 

Molch-R

Heh heh. I guess in this line of work there are always people who presume much, but actually know nowt. However, rest assured that we have loads of announcements of stuff going on in 2012, we just haven't told you about them yet because they're still in the planning and arranging.

For those who can make SFX, we're looking forward to seeing you there for our special party (which will be slightly more than just standing at the bar!) but for those who can't make it please feel free to raise a toast in celebration at whatever events you can make it to. Although we can't attend everything, we'll be at a spread of cons over the course of the year so do drop by the booth and say hi.

And Trout? Since when did you EVER stop taking the piss out of me? ;)

Signed - a 'true' fan.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Perhaps this being a more Film Media related Convention they might show the first tantalizing glimpses of the DREDD Move Trailer. Or more Hi Def Pics like in the issues of Empire magazine.

Just a thought the Production team  might not be ready but I guess if your going to launch a Film you've spent some considerable amounts of Money on and you want to promote interest in this could be a pretty good place to start.

The fact it's 2000AD's Birthday bash celebrating 35 years of thrill power as well is surely too good a moment to miss.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Molch-R

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 December, 2011, 01:42:30 PM
Perhaps this being a more Film Media related Convention they might show the first tantalizing glimpses of the DREDD Move Trailer. Or more Hi Def Pics like in the issues of Empire magazine.

Not something that's going to happen at the event, I'm afraid. Not our decision, but should be a good show nonetheless.

Spaceghost

***ACTIVATE EXTREME SARCASM MODE***

Why aren't you having the 35th birthday party IN MY HOUSE???

I feel so BETRAYED!!!

I buy your comic every week. You OWE me!!!

If John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra aren't round my house in February to PERSONALLY THANK ME for buying 2000 AD all these years, I'm going to burn all my progs in the street.

***SARCASM MODE DE-ACTIVATED***

Hope it's a good bash and you manage to convert plenty of nonscrots into fully fledged Squaxx dek Thargo, ensuring the survival of my favourite comic for at least another 35 years.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Trout

Quote from: Molch-R on 09 December, 2011, 01:39:13 PM
And Trout? Since when did you EVER stop taking the piss out of me? ;)

Ah, it's no fun on your own.

Emperor

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 08 December, 2011, 11:24:17 PMIt just goes to show that once again the loyal fan gets forgotten about as the only 35th party will be out of the price band of many Squaxx.
How hard would it have been to have a year of celebrations as there are enough 'Droids' at most Cons that something could have been done to appease the masses.
'Come to the Convention Bar and raise a glass to 35 years of Thrill Power and get pissed with a droid' followed by a talk by some droids the next day (preferably in the afternoon to give them a chance of getting to the talk)

There is no reason this can't happen, wherever squaxx and droids come together in Tharg's name and raise a glass then that will be an anniversary party (unofficial, of course).

However, there is only a finite number of events a year that 2000 AD can have a full official presence at (table, signings, talks and other goingson*) and they are going to have to pick the closest one to February 2012 to have the actual celebration on, but I can't imagine they are going to miss a chance to turn all/most their appearances into some kind of 35th anniversary year celebration.

Also I can't imagine there are going to be many British conventions this year, that have managed to rummage together a few droids, who aren't going to also be celebrating this even if there is no official 2000AD presence (if they aren't someone should give them a nudge), as Foxy points out Comic Expo Exeter are:

QuoteCelebrating

JUDGE DREDD'S 35th Ann

www.fantasyevents.org/exetercomicexpo/index.html

Quote from: Molch-R on 09 December, 2011, 01:39:13 PMFor those who can make SFX, we're looking forward to seeing you there for our special party (which will be slightly more than just standing at the bar!)

Any clue as to what day this'll be? I assume Saturday but if people are thinking of coming over with a day pass (I'm considering it) then they'd not want to come on the wrong day.

* They were at Bristol but without a table** if I remember correctly but Molch-R was droid wrangling and there was a talk.

** If the problem is droidpower in manning the table (as opposed to humping all the stock there and back, etc.) I'm sure we could rummage up some volunteers to pitch in.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: Lee Bates on 09 December, 2011, 03:23:19 PM
***ACTIVATE EXTREME SARCASM MODE***

Why aren't you having the 35th birthday party IN MY HOUSE???

I feel so BETRAYED!!!

I buy your comic every week. You OWE me!!!

If John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra aren't round my house in February to PERSONALLY THANK ME for buying 2000 AD all these years, I'm going to burn all my progs in the street.

***SARCASM MODE DE-ACTIVATED***

I believe the initial plan was for Carlos and John to visit every subscriber for a meet and greet (a bit like Santa dropping in for a mince pie and a glass of sherry) but they got wind of CF putting in an order for manacles, chains and a cage, so it was quietly dropped.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

COMMANDO FORCES

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

I say we all hire out a pub in Oxford for a weekend invite as many droids as we can and get totally pissed. If the majority of the board go then it shouldn't amount to much per head.
(Erm I wont be able to organise it so could any of you).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.