Main Menu

Dave Evans, R.I.P.

Started by Mike Carroll, 07 May, 2021, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

It's heartbreaking to report that long-time messageboard member Dave Evans -- AKA Bolt-01 -- has died.

Dave was more than just a tremendous friend -- he was exceptionally caring, funny, intelligent, generous, loyal, talented and warm-hearted. As co-editor of some fantastic and influential zines such as FutureQuake, Zarjaz, Something Wicked and Dogbreath, Dave helped nurture many new creators, and he was delighted that so many went on to attain full-time careers in the comics industry.

I first met Dave at a Dreddcon in Oxford back in the early 2000s and we became instant friends. I've never had anything but a fantastic time in his company, and over the years Leonia and I got to know and love his amazing family, too.

I'll write more later, maybe -- this is not easy. Dave was one of those people whose presence just lifted your heart and the thought of not seeing him again is almost unbearable.

So long, Dave. It's been an absolute honour to have been your friend.

-- Mike

I, Cosh

Jesus. That's terrible news. Bolt wasn't someone I'd ever met or interacted with much but his enthusiasm for the comics and creators he worked with seemed boundless.

My love and sympathy to his family and friends.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

This is gutting. Bolt (as I will always think of him) was just the loveliest bloke, both on- and off-line. I did a lot of small-press work for a time, and he was such a pleasure to deal with - always enthusiastic, encouraging and seemingly genuinely overjoyed to recieve new artwork. His enthusiasm for Tooth, and comics in general, was infectious and heartfelt. It was so lovely to see his chunky inks back in the sketch comps recently, too. Hard to take in.  :'(

So long, Bolt. Thanks for everything, and see you on the Doghouse some time.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Jesus. I've so gutted and don't know what to say.

Firstly my thoughts and love to his family for whom the loss just be unbearable.

I've met Dave a few times at conventions and we've drank, chatted and laughed. He was always kind, smart and honest - just a lovely bloke. He's done so much for fandom, he was an endless delight here and his art was always something that made me smile.

This is a tough one and I know it will impact on some many of you so much more. Just so sad.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

This is crushingly sad.

Dave was one of the nicest people I've ever met, as well as a supremely talented artist, letterer and editor. He was always astonishingly generous with his time and never asked for anything in return.

No tribute to Dave could possibly exaggerate what a great guy he was.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

The forum has lost a great contributor. Rust in peace, Bolt.

Thanks for letting us know Mike.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Dan Kelly

Dropping back from long term lurking to drop my Condolences to all of Bolt's family and friends.
Much like Mike I met Dave at Dreddcon and probably drank far too much beer over the next few years with him at various cons, Bristol and others.

I last saw him briefly at the 40th and my big regret is that I was feeling so crappy that i left early and didn't get chance to catch up with people properly.

Rest In Peace feller.

James Stacey

On no, that's terrible news. Dave stayed over once for a Cardiff con. What a lovely chap he was. Thoughts are with the family. Thanks for letting us know Mike

Bad City Blue

That's terrible news, he helped me become a better comic writer.

He will be missed by many, and deservedly so
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Barrington Boots

This is awful news.
I've not been on this board long but his knowledge of and passion for comics was obvious to me and he was friendly, helpful and generous. I was very much hoping to meet him in person at Thought Bubble later this year.
Horrible to hear of this and thoughts with his family.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

MacabreMagpie

I don't know what to say. Dave has always been a nurturing presence in small press and always lovely to chat to at conventions. No doubt it hasn't sunk in for myself or any of the fellow comic readers/creators who have interacted with him over the years but thanks for letting us know, Mike.

Man, what a huge loss.

Daveycandlish

Ah shit. That's shocked me.
RiP Bolt ☹️
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Woolly

At a loss for words.
My thoughts are with his family and friends.
Rest easy Bolt x

The Legendary Shark

Oh no. This is just terrible, horrible, devastating news. How I loved that man. Heartfelt condolences to his family.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]