Main Menu

Prog 2146 - Law in Motion

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 August, 2019, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

What a difference a week can make hey.

Dredd, well if I was disappointed with the ending of the otherwise superb 'Control' the beginning The Fall of Barbarbara Grimm by Mike Caroll and Nick Dyer is quite brilliant. Okay so there's the old panel where the otherwise wonderful Dyer overworks the cross hatching, but that aside wow. I'm reminded of the awful closing in that I felt reading the Block protection racket story in my Prog slog recently.

Sinister Dexter remains fantastic, that opening panel is just great.

Similarly Indigo Prime remains superb, so full of invention.

3riller - Red Road is a blasting, kinetic opener. Its thrilling and while I've not much of a clue about the background yet I'm drawn in. As ever with 3riller its all in how it builds from here though.

Jaegir cranks it back up to the Max with a wonderful episode. Though  do think medical staff in any Sci-fi / action scenario seriously need to some self defense training.

In summary 5 out of 5 Prog. Now that ain't bad is it!

IronGraham

This week was very solid would of liked a bit more context in the 3riller but it's a cold opening for more too come
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Bolt-01

seconded. A superb cover from Paul. It's great to see him being used more by TMO.

Geoff

I'm with Colin on this one - great prog all round!

73north

Yet again No prog on Saturday In Scotland -
and its yet to appear on today as its a Bank Holiday -
-  no Jaegir for me !

MumboJimbo

Proudhuff

another nglish bank holiday and another progless Saturday, Monday... at Huff sur La Mer.
DDT did a job on me

73north

Prog finally arrived today - actually really impressed with all the stories
I even manage to make sense of Indigo Prime -
I was also impressed with the new Dredd Story , and the new Tharg's 3Rillers story
from the new writer ( cudos to Andi Ewington )

I also disagree that Sinister Dexter is really overdue to be removed or ended -
its still enjoyable for me , far more than The Order for example

Jaegir
was yet again a masterclass in storytelling and a cliff-hanger ending -
its been yet again , a highly enjoyable war story ( I first read Battle back in 1975 )
so its been a blast .

broodblik

Quote from: 73north on 27 August, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
, and the new Tharg's 3Rillers story

He also wrote a 3riller called "Tooth and Nail" art by Staz Johnson in prog 2120-2122 and a Futrure Shock in prog 2128 called "Juncture"
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trout

Bloody hell, that's great Dredd! Strong prog all round, especially all the killings and twists in Jaegir, but the Carroll writing on Dredd tops the lot. Sinister and gripping.

Bolt-01

Andi Ewington has been around a good while - he wrote the acclaimed GN '45' that I believe Jock drew part of back in the early 2000's and he's been working since.

Nice to see him getting some work from TMO.

Frank

As well as helping himself to Revere, Kek-W is incorporating the Kelvin McKenzie Sun Says editorial caption boxes from Big Dave. The visual of an Apache strafing city blocks recalls White & Austin's Urban Strike tie-in, too, making this a treat for all those readers who remember nineties 2000ad fondly.

I've delighted everyone long enough with my opinions on the exploitation of John Smith's legacy, so I'll say something nice* - Lee Carter, like Edmund Bagwell and Chris Weston before him, has the perfect aesthetic to complement the script's Kaiju Burroughs and Batman '66 outsize consumer items.

The temptation for the callow editor, when in receipt of a script full of funhouse imagery and pages with the bottom corners torn off, is to assign an artist with a (notionally) appropriate cartoony style. Think (the great) Philip Bond on the final book of The Invisibles or Mike Hadley on Fegredo & Lobe.

The result is too on the nose, burying the needle firmly in the red of WACKY. The representational aesthetic and lucid storytelling of Weston, Bagwell and, now, Carter perform the same function as Ringo's drums, grounding the acid trip toss swirling around it and providing a clear direction of travel.

* I also thought the line questioning whether the cast of Revere were appearing in Indigo Prime or vice versa was arch and self-aware. If it had appeared in Kek-W's own strip, I might even have enjoyed it. Beats me why anyone with the intelligence and humour to write that is wasting their time carrying Tharg's water on a corporate piss-spraying exercise.

Proudhuff

Quote from: 73north on 27 August, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Prog finally arrived today - actually really impressed with all the stories
I even manage to make sense of Indigo Prime -
I was also impressed with the new Dredd Story , and the new Tharg's 3Rillers story

I also disagree that Sinister Dexter is really overdue to be removed or ended -
its still enjoyable for me , far more than The Order for example

Jaegir
was yet again a masterclass in storytelling and a cliff-hanger ending -
its been yet again , a highly enjoyable war story ( I first read Battle back in 1975 )
so its been a blast .

This^^^ with the exception of SinDex which I feel is a house guest that has overstayed its welcome. The world of Downlode has a million stories to tell: Like MC1 or Nu-Earth, I just think Sindex aren't the vehicle to do it now.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Good, solid prog again

Dredd - great opening episode. I always like Carroll's take on Dredd.

3riller - good first episode enough intrigue and action for me to want more.

Jaegir - keeps on delivering. Wish we can have more of this more often.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.