Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 December, 2020, 09:08:04 AM
Meat is murder.

May I recommend the meat-free wonder burger? Had one once and now I have a rather wonderful set of tits.

Wait, this isn't the conspiracy thread....

Leigh S

In your exmaple Sharky, whats to stop the other 50 people joining the 24 who voted against the injustice to stop it and introduce a system that does not rely on compulsion? 

Seems your example is of a dysfunctional disengaged democracy, most likely fueled by theoretical but very famous aquatic animal types gonig round saying "democracy doesn't work..."

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 December, 2020, 09:14:57 AM
Meat is murder.

May I recommend the meat-free wonder burger? Had one once and now I have a rather wonderful set of tits.

I was about to ask if anyone had heard from Hawkmumbler recently
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 December, 2020, 09:14:57 AM
Meat is murder.

I always pictured you as a gaunt, vampiric type.  Tits are always good though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 03 December, 2020, 09:27:43 AM
I was about to ask if anyone had heard from Hawkmumbler recently

Ha! Just been a little busy lately what with one thing and another, still been checking in plenty but with 2020 malaise sinking in rarely felt the need to comment much.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 December, 2020, 09:44:21 AM

I always pictured you as a gaunt, vampiric type.  Tits are always good though.

The dream.

shaolin_monkey

Do we have a Brexit thread? Apologies if we do and this is the wrong place.

Check out this 9 mins from John Shirley, who has a cargo forwarding company that works out of Dover, who warn us EU hauliers (which make up 99% of lorries coming in and out of the U.K.) will be avoiding delays and costs by JUST NOT COMING TO THE U.K. after 01/01/21.

We might be ok re the U.K.'s 46% of food imports - but we might not.

Stock up this month, if you're able.

https://youtu.be/S-Z04srnd_8

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 December, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
Do we have a Brexit thread? Apologies if we do and this is the wrong place.

Check out this 9 mins from John Shirley, who has a cargo forwarding company that works out of Dover, who warn us EU hauliers (which make up 99% of lorries coming in and out of the U.K.) will be avoiding delays and costs by JUST NOT COMING TO THE U.K. after 01/01/21.

We might be ok re the U.K.'s 46% of food imports - but we might not.

Stock up this month, if you're able.

https://youtu.be/S-Z04srnd_8

But stock up on what?  The closest list I've seen is potatoes, tomatoes and a couple of other things (unfortunately our freezer isn't big enough to stock up on fresh fruit and veg - have to stick to tinned and dried stuff).

Funt Solo

From Merriam-Webster:

murder: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought
kill: to deprive of life : cause the death of
homicide: a killing of one human being by another

From the perspective of a state carrying out capital punishment (or killing their enemies in a war), what they're doing is homicide, and not murder. As I said before, the perspective of another state or body (e.g. the ICC) may be different.

Sure, you can call capital punishment murder (feel free), but you're strictly incorrect, unless a law has been broken in some jurisdiction.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 03 December, 2020, 02:55:44 PM
From the perspective of a state carrying out capital punishment (or killing their enemies in a war),

I'll quickly add 'enemy combatants' - killing civilians or enemies who have surrendered can count as a war crime.  There was a study on first person shooter games a few years back which racked up how many war crimes were committed.  Made for interesting reading / viewing especially bearing how influential computer games can be in shaping world views*.

* at the risk of not being so 'quick', I mean people are desensitised to news reports from warzones, rather than actualising those fantasies of massacres being inspired by comics / video nasties / RPGs / computer games.

The Legendary Shark

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of homicide:

1 : a person who kills another
2 : a killing of one human being by another

Synonyms for homicide:

blood, foul play, murder, rubout, slaying

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Can the mods add spoiler tags? Some of us haven't read the whole dictionary yet
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Oh my gahd - you guys are murdering me here!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Do I have to read The Thesaurus before I read The Dictionary or would that be going against Tolkiens authorial intent?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 03 December, 2020, 01:33:42 PM

But stock up on what?  The closest list I've seen is potatoes, tomatoes and a couple of other things (unfortunately our freezer isn't big enough to stock up on fresh fruit and veg - have to stick to tinned and dried stuff).

Yeah, food that takes a while to perish basically. There's a useful list here:

https://www.muchmorewithless.co.uk/essentials-emergency-food-stockpile/

I've been called a "prepper" just 'cos we've had about six months rolling stock since the least three at to just crash out was. It came in hand during first lockdown, it has to be said! (PS - pushing on with the economic lunacy of Brexit during a FUCKING PANDEMIC?!? Heads need to roll.)

Anyway, the way I see it two things could happen:

A) Nothing. Food supplies are not interrupted by whatever 'deal' the idiots in power arrive at.
Effect on me - I eat the stockpile.

B) Bloody disaster. Lorries can't move across borders. Fresh foods rot. EU hauliers say "stuff this" and take their business elsewhere. Food becomes scarce or really expensive.
Effect on me - I eat the stockpile.

So either way, my food gets eaten.

Maybe we need a separate "how are you prepping for Brexit?" thread...

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 December, 2020, 05:23:25 PM
Do I have to read The Thesaurus before I read The Dictionary or would that be going against Tolkien's authorial intent?

FTFY.  :P
++ A-Z ++  coma ++