Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 19 December, 2014, 12:59:50 PM
We live in a far better society now and I'm ashamed when I think of some of the things that I used to say as a young man.  Of course, I could pretend that I didn't say them but I'd be lying.

How is this relevant to what Smith said recently, or what Farage said in his defence even more recently?

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

I'm not saying it's relevant, at all, Jim.  Just giving my twopenn'orth!  I didn't think everything we put on here had to be relevant.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 19 December, 2014, 01:07:11 PM
I'm not saying it's relevant, at all, Jim.  Just giving my twopenn'orth!  I didn't think everything we put on here had to be relevant.

Rich made a post; you asked him a question that appeared to be in response to that post; I asked how your question was relevant to the post it appeared to be responding to. If you weren't responding to Rich's post, then why did you address him? If you were, then responding with a complete non sequitur seems... odd.

I'm not trying to police some arbitrary standard of relevance, I just didn't understand, which is why I asked you the question.

Jim

Old Tankie

You're quite right, Jim, in the first paragraph I asked Richmond a question.  In the second paragraph I thought I was making an observation of my own past.

If my understanding of written English is not up to scratch, I apologise.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 19 December, 2014, 01:24:39 PM
If my understanding of written English is not up to scratch, I apologise.

No apology needed. Again: I'm not having a go, I just didn't understand.

Jim

Richmond Clements

QuoteIf you don't mind me asking, how old are you, Richmond?  If you're 40+, in the past have you never used a derogatory term to describe someone?  I'm 57 and grew up on the East London/South Essex border and I can certainly remember using terms as a younger man that I wouldn't use now.  Haven't you?

I probably did yes. As a child. Before I knew better. Not as an adult who was running for office and pretending not to be a racist. Or worse have the leader of the party DEFEND the racism. What I did or did not do AS A CHILD is hardly the point.

Richmond Clements

Professor Bear

They'll laugh it off like they did the "nigger vote" comments, and secretly be thankful for the popularity boost this will give them.  What's important is that Farage is rich and he likes to blame the poor for the problems of the poor so he's sure to get the continued backing of the media.

The Legendary Shark

Funny how they never have a go at the foreigners that lend us pretend money, innit?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Be fair, Sharky, those are his close personal friends from his days as a stock market speculator - rich people have no nationality.

Or as Twitter put it:

The Legendary Shark

Heh, that's brilliant - I must remember that.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

sod ukip, perhaps north korea is more of a threat right now.

and by even mentioning north korea I've inadvertently doomed us all...expect rebellion to be hacked and all the spoilers for the dark judge story to be released in the name of our great and glourious future leader :D
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

ZenArcade

The pity is that Sony are such a bunch of snivelling, cowardly pricks. They hadn't even the balls to stand by their nauseatingly, shite film. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Grugz

aye, but it highlights that cyber "terror" attacks are possible and a reality and it may have been a shit film as so many American comedies are but if kim jung wotsisface gets worked up about that what else is he capable of? 
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html