Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 August, 2013, 10:45:09 PM
Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 August, 2013, 04:49:45 PM
Just finished watching ( a very old DVD ) of Amadaeus.....

An absolutely fabulous film,  starring Tom Holtz ( what happened to him ? ) and Sir Ben Kingsley and telling the tragic story of Wolgang Amadaeus Mozart....

I think Tom Holtz changed his name to Tom Hulce and sank into even more obscurity.  And I'm pretty sure it was F. Murray Abraham (not Ben Kingsley).

Apologies, to all..... :-[
Yes it was F. Murray Abraham who played Salieri ( not Ben Kingsley as I had previously posted )...Thanks Tips...
Still, an excellent movie though,  and well worth a watch !!
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

F. Murray Abraham is a great actor. He won an Oscar for his performance in Amadeus. I also love his role in Scarface as the weasily drug runner t[spoiler]hat gets hanged from a helicopter in what is one of the films best scenes[/spoiler]. He is almost unrecognisable in the role, and his Cuban accent is spot on (unlike someone else in that film- yeah I'm looking at you Al!)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Hey SB, have you watched Milos Forman's other masterpiece; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? I'm assuming you have, but if not do so a.s.a.p!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 August, 2013, 11:52:24 PM
his being a massive control-freak and cock is a big part of Batman's appeal to children
Are you really saying children like massive cock?
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 August, 2013, 07:13:13 AM
Are you really saying children like massive cock?

The ongoing decline in the popularity of Foghorn Leghorn suggests otherwise.  And as kids don't have the vote, the ascension of David Cameron is irrelevant.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 22 August, 2013, 01:30:49 AM
Hey SB, have you watched Milos Forman's other masterpiece; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? I'm assuming you have, but if not do so a.s.a.p!

one of my favourite movies of all time - best to watch the movie and then read the book, which offers a whole new perspective on it - it's narrated from the POV of "Chief" Bromden, and in the movie he comes across as quite sane, but from you the book you know that he truly is batshit crazy.

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 August, 2013, 11:00:12 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 22 August, 2013, 01:30:49 AM

one of my favourite movies of all time - best to watch the movie and then read the book, which offers a whole new perspective on it - it's narrated from the POV of "Chief" Bromden, and in the movie he comes across as quite sane, but from you the book you know that he truly is batshit crazy.

I haven't read the book Dan, but I'll track it down in my library. It'll be interesting to read it from Chief Bromden's view. Will Sampson who played him in the film version was magnificent, also a key character too. I love his "mmm...Juicy Fruit" line! Just look at the look on Jack Nicholson's face when he utters that!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Sideshow Bob

Absolutely love One flew over the Cuckoos Nest movie....but haven't read the book....
Will dig it out from my local library as soon as I can...
The movie performances from Nicholson, Will Samson, and Louise Fletcher are all amazing.......And really great support roles from Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Brad Dourif.......and others.....I don't think the movie puts a 'foot wrong' throughout.....Just great....
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Charlie boy

Watched Machete for the first time after taping it recently. Thought it was a lot of fun; does look a lot like an exploitative B movie you can stop paying attention to without losing too much but you don't want to stop paying attention to it because practically every scene is genuinely entertaining. The soundtrack is great, too. Was a bit distracted by the unexplained disappearance of a hitman, however. The end credits makes claims of two sequels and, to be honest, I think I really would like a Machete trilogy boxset to own.
Going to watch Red Hill on Film4 at 11:05pm tonight because it sure looks like it could be more silly fun, but I've got this feeling that it could just be a bad kind of silly for some reason so if anybody has seen this and would care to warn me about wasting a couple of hours of my life here- please feel free to do so.

shaolin_monkey

I watched Akira Kurosawa's 'Ran' last night.  Epic blah blah battle scenes blah blah amazing set pieces blah blah King Lear blah blah blah.

Completely non-plussed by it.  Maybe it was an epic in it's time, but I just found the histrionics of the whole thing overdone and quite irritating.  I just wanted the king dude to hurry up and die.  I had no sympathy for him whatsoever.

'Twas a shame, as I like his other stuff.  The Seven Samurai is still my favourite, with Yojimbo a close second.

Theblazeuk

Watched Airplane last night

Surely one of the greatest movies to watch when you're feeling blue, ever. I picked a hell of a day to quit mephamphetimines

Link Prime

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 August, 2013, 02:45:37 PM
Watched Airplane last night

Surely one of the greatest movies to watch when you're feeling blue, ever. I picked a hell of a day to quit mephamphetimines

Yep - that and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" are my go-to films for days of blue.

And don't call me Shirley.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Buttonman

Kirk Douglas goes for The Juggler while the rest of us seek to Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!

Any more films out there with an exclamation mark in the title?

Ghost MacRoth

Airplane! (obviously)
Them!
Mars Attacks!

Off the top of me head....
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!