Main Menu

Not sure if it's me or the prog...

Started by Steve Green, 04 July, 2017, 07:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Hmmm,

wasn't sure if I was going to post this, but here we go.

I'm not really enjoying the prog at the moment, nor for a while if I'm honest.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is, but the hit to miss rate for me isn't great.

Dredd is usually solid, Deadworld I've enjoyed, but other strips just don't seem to work for me, Scarlet Traces I loved as the collected editions previously, but week to week, not so much.

That, combined with quite a few strips left hanging and I'm wondering if it's time to call it a day.

Maybe it's a combination of factors, but it's just not doing it for me, and feels like it's read more out of habit, in the same way I read it in the 90s.

Subscription ends in October - I've turned off auto-renewal.

Richard

Will you still be reading the Meg? Seems like a bad idea to stop reading just in time for Dominion.

Steve Green

Both subs run out in October.

Not sure how many issues Dominion is going to run for...

I've not even read the end of Lawless or the tales from the black museum in the meg - I think digital makes b/w strips more of a chore, certainly feels like that anyway.

Richard

Steve Green

dweezil2

2000AD isn't always amazing, but it's always at least good.

I know I'd miss it if I stopped reading it and I'm sure you would too, Steve.

Wednesday's just wouldn't be the same anymore.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

I've found myself forgetting until a couple of days past Wednesday that there was a new prog, so I didn't really miss it that much.

Overall I've enjoyed the Space Spinner 2000 podcasts revisiting ancient progs far more than I've enjoyed the prog for a good year.

Looking at the returning stories, there's not a lot which grabs me, sorry.

Colin YNWA

Until the last few issues the Prog has been consistantly excellent still Prog 2000. But that's the Prog for you one reader's golden age is another reader's Rogue Trooper.

I've only started back on the Meg for the last couple of years but that's by and large been consistantly good.

The trouble is if you drop it you'll not know what ya missing!

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 July, 2017, 07:04:52 PM
Hmmm,

wasn't sure if I was going to post this, but here we go.

I'm not really enjoying the prog at the moment, nor for a while if I'm honest.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is, but the hit to miss rate for me isn't great.

Dredd is usually solid, Deadworld I've enjoyed, but other strips just don't seem to work for me, Scarlet Traces I loved as the collected editions previously, but week to week, not so much.

That, combined with quite a few strips left hanging and I'm wondering if it's time to call it a day.

Maybe it's a combination of factors, but it's just not doing it for me, and feels like it's read more out of habit, in the same way I read it in the 90s.

Subscription ends in October - I've turned off auto-renewal.

It's not just you........ive really been struggling this last year or so really. There are things that occasionally catch my attention such as Deadworld  (really enjoyed that), but to be brutally honest I'm missing regular John Wagner.  I desperately want a long run of Wagner Dredd and I'm always hopeful for more Strontium Dog.  If Johnny was still a regular thrill I would be reading every week.  This is what I'm sorely missing. I tend to be collecting up 15-20 progs at a time at the moment before I read .

As for the Meg, Lawless has been the driver of my continued subscription, that strip is pure class and is just a wonder to behold. Can't praise the team responsible enough.

I am fully aware that it's not that the quality of the prog that  has decreased, it's just that I'm an (increasingly) old school reader and John and the old favourites are what I love and crave. I hope the prog continues forever and that the readers continue to enjoy the strips.......but the prog may well have outgrown me. I tend to read the older stuff more than I read the new.

My 9 year old son is currently reading through all of the original strontium dog tales and he's loving them, and I'm getting more joy out of that than reading the current progs myself.

Hopefully I'll get the love back......but it has faded considerably.
As I said, this is just my own mindset, so please don't crucify me for it!

Dark Jimbo

I stopped reading early last year for similar reasons, feeling generally a bit dissatisfied with the prog, and haven't missed it nearly as much as I thought I would, to be honest! The things I had planned to jump back onboard for - Absalom, Stronty, Indigo Prime, Jaegir, etc - are all still AWOL!
@jamesfeistdraws

Michael Knight

Steve Green I'm with you mate.

Dredd and Defoe are only strips i'm reading in the prog, and whilst i enjoy those i have to say i prefer reading
the Meg much more these days myself.

Cant wait for return of Wagner with Dominion though.

Dark Jimbo

Definately felt the loss of regular Wagner since Day of Chaos.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

I won't lie and say 2000 AD is as strong to my tastes as it was even just a few years ago. But its always entertaining for my money, (even if that means I have to endure 1/5 of its content seemingly always being a Pat Mills vehicle). Some strips that I feel would stabilize things tend to come along too infrequently. Absalom, Indigo Prime, Jaegir, Alienist, etc...

This year's gave us more Kingdom, The Order, Scarlet Traces, Brink, and Deadworld. Which is all together solid. And has also given us Kingmaker. So its hard to really complain.

But I won't lie, we're a long way from the greatest Prog of all time, 1651 (2nd June 2009). The hole created by the loss of Nikolai Dante has yet to really be filled IMO

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

dweezil2

I think for anyone who's read the comic as long as many of us have on this forum thrill-power fatigue is bound to set in at some point.

2000AD is still consistently the most entertaining and high quality comic on the shelves though.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

SIP

I would also agree that Nikolai Dante did leave a vacuum that has never been filled (for me). Certainly my favourite "modern" strip.

I just don't particularly have anything in the prog right now to hook me in. If Wagner was still the regular week in week out Dredd writer, that would be enough, if Alpha was semi regular, that would be my go to. I'm just failing to sync with anything much in there this last year or two.

Money is increasingly tight, and feel like I'm just building piles of comics for no real reason. 

This might just be an age thing......similarly lost my interest in drawing, something that was always hand in hand with my 2000ad interest.

Hopefully my love will be rekindled shortly.