Main Menu

We're witnessing the death of the 'real' Judge Dredd

Started by AD2000, 18 July, 2007, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

AD2000 - I guess you just don't understand Dredd's character if all you can say is "fascist cop".  

Sure Dredd's killed plenty of mutants. But they were all bad.  He's killed plenty of norms too. And hey - they were all bad too.

It's an interesting opinion you have but I think you are way off the mark on this one.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

mogzilla

what was the one where he removed a boy from his abusive uncle and made him join the judges? yeah i know that went a bit pear-shaped but the thoght was there.

AD2000

MC Wild, you don't get it. Dredd has helped people in times of need but you can't go from 'Dredd's relatives are mutants' to 'let's repeal the mutant laws'. It makes no sense.

And as I've already said, Dredd wanted to repeal ALL anti-mutant laws. THAT MEANS ALL MUTANTS HAVE HUMAN STATUS. And that means any widows of mutants Dredd murdered in Orgins and other Dredd stories can enter MC-1, meet Dredd and say, "hey, Dredd, thanks for giving us equality. Are you happy that you murdered my family? Can I murder you? Just stay still while I shoot you, stab you."

SENSE. MAKE. IT. DOES. NOT.

Jim_Campbell

"SENSE. MAKE. IT. DOES. NOT."

KNOW. YOU. ARE. WHO. WE. OFF. FUCK. SCOTT.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

All mutants would have equal status with norms.  And like norms if they do bad things, he'll stop them.

There's plenty of widows of norm perps in mega-city. You don't seem to have a problem with that.

I dunno.  Sometimes I reckon when there's a dozen people saying "It makes perfect sense" and only me saying "It doesn't make sense", I take a step back and reconsider my position.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

mogzilla

AD2000

Tip, you are wrong as is Mr Wagner for the simple reason the idea is flawed. Narratively speaking it's flawed. It doesn't work because Dredd's never shown enough compassion in the past, he's never championed mutant rights. Go read Damned Ranger (JD Megazine from three years ago). Totally different Dredd. He hates mutants - PERIOD.

The three part story is about one thing - Dredd killing mutants and we see mutants saying "we want equality" or words to that effect. Wagner shows us mutants wanting to be given equality but Dredd and his Judges don't give a daman. It's clear Dredd hates/dislikes (some) mutants enough not to entertain the idea of giving them equality but now three years later and the somewhat cheesy introduction of Dredd's relatives (and they're not his true relatives as Dredd is a clone of Fargo, not Ephram) and we see Dredd forgetting Damned Ranger ever happened. Consistent - I don't think so!

My first post wasn't just about the inconsistency, it's to do with Dredd becoming a liberal. This goes against the fundamental core of the character. Dredd is not a liberal and should NEVER be written as such. I would love Alan Grant to post here because he always wrote Dredd as a bit of a bully. I can't believe Alan Grant would find Wagner's reinvention of Dredd acceptable.

AD2000

By the way, slightly off-topic, but Dredd doesn't have a brother.

Rico Dredd isn't Dredd's brother, he is Dredd. People have always thought Rico was Dredd's brother but Rico is Dredd. Same person - an identical duplicate. The same person can't be your brother. It's impossible. Just wanted to clarify that. For Rico to be Dredd's brother he would have to be biologically different and this was not the case. Dredd never had a brother.

AD2000

I mean the original Rico, not the new version!

mogzilla

i should hope it was a joke! i for one will not be letting mr de'ath look after mini mogzilla whilst myself and the good lady mrs mogzilla go to the moving pictures...chill out a bit.it's just a debate after all over a comic character.i bet you dont get this level of passion on the fifi and the flower tots site!

Art

Psst. Resist the multipost. It's a bit of a tip-off.

Steve Green

"Whistles to PeterWolf"

Well, you were asking who Scojo was...

Anyway, Scott - I'm not going to bother arguing this with you. You've plainly demonstrated how single-minded you can be when you've got something in your head. You will not let it go, no matter what anyone says.

I guess the ban still stands, so it's going to be a fairly short thread if that is the case.

Goosegash

Rico Dredd isn't Dredd's brother, he is Dredd. People have always thought Rico was Dredd's brother but Rico is Dredd. Same person - an identical duplicate. The same person can't be your brother. It's impossible. Just wanted to clarify that. For Rico to be Dredd's brother he would have to be biologically different and this was not the case. Dredd never had a brother.

So you're saying whenever anyone in the history of Dredd has referred to Joe and Rico as clone brothers, they've just been "wrong"? Well, thanks for that. I'll just call the Nerve Centre to let them know you've decided that for them.

Peter Wolf

I have to say i am of the same opinion as watcher and i have said so in another thread.

In prog 1545 there is a council meeting taking place at the beginning of the strip then we cut to another scene then we are back into the council meeting thaat is nearly over so we dont know what was actually said in the meeting or what points where raised in that meeting.Thats a sloppy bit of writing.If Judge Dredd is going to change his opinion of mutants it would have been nice to know a bit more of the reasoning involved.

A long long time ago one of my favourite characters who was a villain became a good guy  after being a fascist.Yes it was a shock but i liked it as it added dimension to the character although i have to say the circumstances were very different indeed.

As Judge Dredd is a long established character i can see why anyone would have a problem with all this but i wouldnt say no to more tolerance of mutants unless they were a threat to the city itself.Anyway who said Dredd was a psychopath ?   Are all the mutants going to move into mega city one ? Where are they all going live?I thought the city was overcrowded anyway but i may be wrong.

I think the climate of tolerance here is creeping into mega city one but i dont think it is a bad thing but there is a very fine line to be trodden as to how this subject is handled.

There have been a few threads here all about tolerance instead of bigotry and i have been accused of racism mistakenly as my wording was a bit off.It was a misunderstanding as the idea that i am a rascist is ludicrous.So although the story and character are fictional i cannot support the idea of discriminating against  mutants for no other reason than being a mutant.

It seems a bit daft to write off a chracter so soon.We will have to see how things unfold as this may be a one off.

I am sure Dredd hasnt forgotten how to shoot and kill and make arrests.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mogzilla