Main Menu

Framing Original Art

Started by stodge, 28 January, 2005, 03:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stodge

hi guys,

long time no speak...

ages and ages ago i got some great gibson art of sam slade in day of the droids and have now got around to thinking about displaying it in frames on my bedroom wall.

any advice on how to do this as i'm worried about the sunlight fading the artwork over time and have considered getting a copy of the artwork framed and archiving the original....any ideas or comments?

cheers

Stodge

Wake

Black and white art is probably not that likely to fade if hung indoors. You can buy UV resistant glass for frames, though the easiest option (which I hope works for the sake of my Black Siddha page) is put the art up on a wall which never gets direct sunlight.

My Frank Hampson Dan Dare page gets no sunlight at all, and I hope isn't going to fade from the fluorescent tubes in my office.

Wake

johnnystress

Hang the pictures on a north facing wall? keep the curtains closed?

Seriously though-There are very good frames in Atlantic Homecare( they have that in the UK ?)
now for about 18 euros, which is about 11 sterling?- they're poster sized so they should accomodate most comic art

These use plastic instead of glass- I don't know if that is an advantage or not

I have a Day of the Droids page framed this way myself!

stodge

thanks for the advice guys.  if it works for you then i'm sure it'll be fine.

now, i just have to spend all day in my bedroom to ensure no direct sunlight hits the walls!  ;o)

stodge

WoD

I came home the other day to find my little collection all nicely framed and put on the wall by Mrs WoD...how good was that...

WoD

except for the Cabs piece as it is 'too violent' apparently...

opaque

I'd love to get my work framed but theres no room, too many pieces to choose from and our walls are especially weak.

I do have a couple of pieces in frames though to protect them. Cheap large (ie big enough for DOD artwork) are hard to find and I'd end up spending hundreds just buying frames. Much rather spend that money on more artwork :)

Oddboy

I've got more pieces of artwork then frames/wallspace - so I rotate them every now & then.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Satanist

I think Ive got my first piece of art to collect at the post office today so I really appreciate this thread.

Cheers Stodge.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Wake

That would be this Caballistics page, wouldn't it? I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Wakehttp://www.2000ad.org/artwork/downtime5_1.jpg">

Satanist

Yeah thats the one. I cant wait to get my hands on it.

Much thanks Wake.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

opaque

I think it's great that we are now all able to buy original artwork so easily online. Especially from Wake :) but on Ebay as well.

If only I'd had money and known about it earlier!

I remember the Carlos pages for the Apocalypse War GN's being on Ebay a few years ago and they went for an amount I can't remember but I think it was something I thought was mad then but would consider reasonable now. Was probably Rufus who bought them ;)

Devons Daddy

i have mine on the walls.

non reflective glass. best way with B&W is a lovely quite wide boarder in black it offsets the contrast wonderfully.

with a frame not overly bulky but but perhaps in not natural tone. i used a silver leaf to great effect on one piece of bad company.

a truly stunning effect i saw was the orignal art work next too the page of comic it finally became.

i am not into collecting art to put in dark portfillo holders.
i say display it and enjoy it for what i represents. not in direct sun light but at the end of the day. its ART and deserves its place of exhibition.

though wake and rufus of course would need a wing of the national gallery to display their collections. but us mere mortals with a handful of pieces should be leave the archiving to such people and display and enjoy our passion.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Bhuna

I got my second piece of artwork yesterday. My first is a Blackhawk page from 1979, the second is a Kev Walker page it bought from Fatbaydale.

I just need to get them both framed at weekend so thanks for the advice guys.
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress