Main Menu

Prog 1458: The Executioner- Blood will run in the streets of Mega-City One.

Started by ukdane, 26 September, 2005, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

I can't decide how much I like this cover. On the one hand, the artwork itself is very good, and I had to check the credit box to see if it WAS Mark Harrison. I also like the blood spatters that meld with both the logo, and the prog number box.
BUT yet again, part of the art covers the 2000ad Logo, and it is a straight copy from the Terminator image.

I suppose what's important is 1)whether or not it stands out on the newstand - and the blood red and text does stand out from the dark image. 2) would it encourage new readers- who knows, if there are UK fans of Terminator who have never seen a copy of 2000ad before, they mmight pick it up by mistake- other than that I doubt it will.

No Droid Life again, instead the chance to win Sin-City DVD's which I can't enter, but will buy anyway.

None of the long running stories end this week, but there is a one off terror tale, to fill the Robo-hunter void.

Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

... Both Savage and Breathing Space finish next week however, and Sin/Dex return, courtesy of Simon Davis (and Abnett).
Cheers

-Daney

James

http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=1458">

ukdane

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1458.jpg">
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

Spot 5 differences!
Send your answers to M Harrison, curtesy of Tharg ;-)http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005N5S5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">
Cheers

-Daney

IndigoPrime

I've given up complaining about the logo thing?it seems most magazines are doing this these days, which I find totally stupid, but there you go. (After all, if the logo is so unimportant, why not remove it entirely?)

As for the contents of the Prog, I rather enjoyed them today (the less-than-shocking twist in Breathing Space excepted), even if the Terror Tale was rather iffy. The Dredd is certainly one of the best in a long while, and, despite my general dislike of Mills' recent work, Savage is pretty good.

Regarding Sin City, I'd hold fire, if I were you. The Special Edition's been announced in the US, and I imagine it'll be here before long. It recuts the entire movie, reworking it back into its original comic-book form (i.e. four separate pieces), adding back in a bunch of cut scenes (such as he one with Marv's mum); the pack also includes the movie version and, rather more annoyingly, one of the GNs.

The Amstor Computer

What I don't quite understand is why the tip of the gun barrel couldn't have fallen behind the logo. It's not as if the logo would be covering anything significant, after all. If that wasn't an option, surely the image could have been placed slightly further down the cover without interfering with the placement of the tagline?

Yours sincerely,

Baffled of Dingwall

Matt Timson

Because it would've looked shit.  And that's my professional opinion- so you know it can be relied upon.

Clued-up of Leics.
Pffft...

The Amstor Computer

Heh.

Seriously - why would placing the barrel tip behind the logo, or moving it slightly down, ruin the image?

Genuinely interested of Scotchland

Queen Firey-Bou

never mind that.

what about the electrified shed of death ?  do the droids hate shed-con ? or whats that about?  don't tell me thats NOT the bit everyone reads first ?

sad fan-girl of visiting dingwall tomorrow.

Al_Ewing

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Swearengen

I dont mind the Logo being slightly covered as I only need to see a small piece of it and I know what it is.
If you've not read 2000AD before or for a while at least is it the logo that would draw you in or the fact that the cover may get your attention, make you have a quick scan and then buy it?

Funt Solo

Dingwall?  Soon to be renamed Tescoville.  That's my hometown, that is.

And onto the prog:

Cover
Good, but not great.  Interesting name change for the comic:  "2000D".  Not sure it'll catch on and am expecting Tharg to revert to the usual name next week, or possibly 2000A, or 200AD, for variety.

Mandroid
I've dropped the "Judge Dredd" from the title, because he deserves his own series.  Okay, so we all notice the similarities with this and stories such as Batman and The Punisher, but in this case, Nate isn't the lead, and we don't know what the end result is going to be.  So, despite familiarity with the premise, we still have tension.  (Plus a sort of inside scoop of how Wagner might write Bats.)

Gorgeous, moody, sublime art.

Savage
Okay, so most of the threads of previous weeks have played out.  Now for the denoument.  Who did he kill?  What repurcussions will there be?

Leatherjack
In Firekind, a sort of god-like entity awoke and crushed what seemed like unbeatable foes.  In Leatherjack, a sort of god-like entity has awoken and is crushing what seemed like unbeatable foes.

Of course, in Firekind we had the human interest story and the emotive murdering of the villagers.  In Leatherjack we have an enigmatic killing machine with whom it's difficult to empathise.  Kind of like a dayglo Shakara.

It's good, still.

Terror Tales
Was this start with a punchline and work your way back?  Interesting art, with weird angles.  The script was just a trial to plod through.  Boring, really.

Breathing Space
I love this story but I don't think it's being told very well at all in it's second half.  A great setting, a great plot, good characters:  just not being told well, either by the writer (who I assume planned out the panels) or the artist.

Or am I missing the point?  King is supposed to be confused - we, as readers, are supposed to be experiencing what he's experiencing:  thus, it's confusing?

Hrmn...jury's out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

The Amstor Computer

Al --

It's a Steve Moore/Andrew Currie piece. Have you got one coming up?