Main Menu

Meg 244: Back from the Dead

Started by ukdane, 03 April, 2006, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

If tharg had spotted those Typos, it would have been nice to be given the chance to sort, though I have to say that I didn't notice them...

The balloon error on page 2 is sorted (and was before I posted the CD) and don't forget, this was drawn for to be printed at A4. There is a bit of extra reduction in those pages.

Bolt-01: FQP

Funt Solo

Judge Dredd: funny.

Charley's War: didn't read it - glad it's getting removed from the reprint slot.

Cursed Earth Koburn:  some highlight moments but an ultimately disappointing resolution.

By The Pricking Of My Thumbs:  writing too small to easily read, although that may have been on purpose - I don't know.  I enjoyed it, and it's well written and drawn.  However, at the end, am I supposed to have no idea what had just happened, or what a boojum is, or what a snark is?  Is the end result of the tale "they all got fucked over by some demons"?

Tales From The Black Museum: I've gone off this dark, smudgy style because I can't really see what's going on a lot of the time.  I didn't enjoy this opening tale.

Summary: I dunno - maybe I've just gone off comics or something, but I felt disappointed with this.  The Dredd tale's the only thing that saves it - and it does that by having a little bit of fun.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ukdane

Having now read the entire Meg now, I'd say overall the quality was good.

I didn't like Koburn- I thought the overall story was weak, and the ending weaker.

I'm not sure if I liked the small press- the story had an ok twist, but I still don't think the Meg is the right place for these.

I thought Dredd was aces.

I was pleasantly pleased with TfBM.

RT History was ok, but there seemed to be too long spent on the newer Rogue stuff, with lots of time being given to individual story synopsis and not enough to "original" Rogue.

Charley: well, I've not read these before, so I quite enjoy reading these, however it has felt like it was dragging a bit- so giving it a break for a while is fine by me- as long as it returns again for a short while. Anyone know what's up for reprint (if anything) next month?

Overall: An enjoyable Meg, which on the whole was good quality, However I do feel I need ONE more story at least per month- preferably something Dredd-verse and preferably 12 pages.
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

One other thing- how many Metro strips are left?
When these end (and I hope it's soon) can we have a similar style of reprints of Daily Star Dredd please.

REPRINT DAILY STAR DREDD PLEASE!
Cheers

-Daney

Leigh S

seconded with the Daily Star Dredds -they'd show the Metro strips a thing or two...

Bolt-01

James: What spelliing mistakes were these? Were they in the handwritten text? That text was actually Hand written.

Bolt-01

ukdane

I saw a few in the handwritten text.
Cheers

-Daney

WoD

authenticity...it was before spell checkers...

Dudley

Page 1 panel 4: on the inside cover of the book, "Bethlehem" is spelt "Bethlemhem".
Page 2, panel 3: "Proved" is spelt "prooved".
Page 3, panel 2: "Explanation" is spelt "explaination".
Page 3, panel 7: "Your" is spelt "you're".

Buttonman

That's your best mate that is.http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/spell.jpg">

Proudhuff

Over all a big thumbs up for the new look/feel fi me.

Its packed with good stories

JD Culling time: great stuff this should be handed out to schools in the USA to explain evolution ;p

Read Rogue to later

Charley's war  love it keeping it for bedtime saddo that I am.

Spoiler!!
Koburn: turned straight to this I hope that baddie climbs out of that hole some time soon.

Small press:I'll never get round to buying any of these nice to read about.

Pricking: enjoyed but that blood text was far too wee (grumpy old git mode)

Tales from the black crypt: its okay but what about playing I-spy with the background details Choppers board etc?

Metro Dredd Didn't you spot it? THE BELT BUCKLE? STARS AND STRIPES? burn the heritic! surely that went out with Prez Booth?

Over all a fun pack lean mean mag, more power to the new megazine
and anyway...
Its not the paper its what's printed on it, jings haven't you felt the paper the early progs were printed on?

Huffburn    
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

I repeat...

Metro Dredd Didn't you spot it? THE BELT BUCKLE? STARS AND STRIPES? burn the heritic! surely that went out with Prez Booth?

get the pitchforks - to Castle Tharg!
DDT did a job on me

Roger Godpleton

How appropriate that the first Dredd of the 64-page era is called "Culling Time", does a feel a bit to floppy, but the content seems a lot more enjoyable.

Dredd: Utter lunacy, sub-plot handled well. Great art. Great Stuff.

Koburn: Disappointed that Bonaventura's gone, slightly weak ending all round. OK Stuff.

Metro: Bilge.

Charley: Same old, same old. Good though.

Rogue: Well I liked it.

Small Press thingie: Bit too generic, Berridge has done much better. Speeling mistakes grating.

Tales: Fun little story. Would like more of these.

Overall: Doesn't seem like I enjoyed this writing the review, but I feel that this a good start to the next phase of the Meg's life. It feels longer than it's page count, which is an improvement from the last days of the 100 era, where you could read it all in 10 minutes. Keep it up boys!
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Satanist

Hmmm- mixed feelings here. Listed in order of Love down to Loathe...

Dredd - This was great. Art & Script. Loved it.

Koburn - I don't know why people have a prob here but I found the end really satisfying. Another drink for Mr Grennie.

Tales of the Black Museum - I really dig this blokes art. Nice old skool tale from the master.

Charley - I've really enjoyed this but agree its time for a rest, only a rest mind. Wonder what will replace it though?

Small Press - Interesting as I would never have saw this otherwise. Nice art and clever enough script but was left with a feeling of..."That's it?".

Cover - OK but it doesn't really grab you. As next months is a jumping on point though hopefully the big guns are being saved. Oh and its way too flimsy, use the card normally reserved for Jumping on progs and I'll be fine.

Metro Dredd - Oh dear!

Rogue Trooper article - This was really good then GFD left and it was shite, then we re-invented it and it was shite, reinvented it again and it was still shite. Now we've made a game out of it and whether its shite or fab it'll still sell naff all. How many pages did I save there? and I was honest.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Trout

Are there no fucking subs for the Meg?

It's full of bastard typing errors!

- Trout