Main Menu

Meg 287 - Pandamonium

Started by vzzbux, 18 July, 2009, 10:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 July, 2009, 03:18:58 PM
I liked the Darwyn Cooke/New Frontier page; I'd never have even bothered with it otherwise but now I'll go check it out. The Com-x feature was also really interesting and something I hadn't been aware of before.
I much prefer when these articles focus on comics rather than television shows that are long past their sell-by-date (24, Battlestar Galactica and CSI? They've been around for well over five years now. How many people aren't already aware of them...? Not looking forward to the You Really Should be Watching... Friends! article).

The film articles, while both very well written, and actually quite interesting, were still a bit much. It essentially breaks down to six pages of film reviews when in previous months three pages was too many. The film reviews - and I still don't see the point in them, regardless of quality - should be two pages at most. Those big, pointless pics being used just scream filler.

Just wanted to quote this for agreement.  I'd much rather read articles about other comics than TV and film.

planetoid

The Armitage graphic novel is missing the first two pages of the story. Pages one and two of the original story published in the Megazine in 1991 featured two large panels showing the killer's letters, an explanation of his actions. It was an atmospheric way to start the story.  A pity the graphic novel cut out these two pages. Let's hope this is a one-off omission and future Megazine graphic novels contain all the pages. If you want to read the entire first Armitage story, I suggest you find the original Megazine issues!

Rest of the Meg was pretty good.  ;)

Mike Gloady

I'd forgotten that, Planetoid. 

It's a real shame - those pages were SO good too.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

I've been perusing the Armitage GN too, and I now think I've wronged Mr. Cooper. The extreme-retro dressing of Armitage's office and many elements of his world are right there from the first episode (there even appears to be a box of 3.5" floppies on his desk), so it's hardly John's fault.  Not that I'm happy about this mind, I like my dystopian futures to be in the future.  Also, Justice is quite clearly lacking her blindfold from the start.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 26 July, 2009, 08:15:09 PM
Just wanted to quote this for agreement.  I'd much rather read articles about other comics than TV and film.

& more 'you should be reading' please -- i found Ed's piece on chandler to be my favourite thing he's done for the meg.

For instance, Gollancz have recently re-issued greg egan's entire oeuvre; in god awful trade at that but surely the most influential sf author since William Gibson would be of interest to the readers of an sf comic?

They've also doing a rather impressive Space Opera Classics line – a page on Olaf Stapledon or M. John Harrison certainly wouldn't go astray.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

Quote from: steven lenfant terrible on 28 July, 2009, 04:36:13 AMFor instance, Gollancz have recently re-issued greg egan's entire oeuvre; in god awful trade at that but surely the most influential sf author since William Gibson would be of interest to the readers of an sf comic?
Don't bother waiting for this article to appear folks, just buy the short story collection Luminous. It costs less than two Megs and I guarantee there are more good stories even if you count Dredd twice.

Peter Doherty really is great at drawing rain. First Ratfink, now a lovely opening episode of another grim'n'gritty Dredd tale. John Smith seems to be on form here too.

I very nearly didn't read Tank Girl and that's something I've never even contemplated with a story in the Prog. I appreciated the sentiment but I didn't like the story any more than the previous ones.

Loved the colours on Darren Dead. Like Tordelback, I remember the first story having existed but nothing about it. Might try and dig it out as this seems like good silly fun. The Darren Dead/Dirty Frank crossover queue starts here.

I actually liked the film reviews this month and the Edinburgh Festival piece might've been better the month before although it did mention a lot of the things that caught my eye in the programme which I didn't get to see.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 20 July, 2009, 01:06:42 PM
At the same time to read a review of something you're looking forward to is a little naive. I'm paiently awaiting Walking Dead 63. If I were to read the WD thread on the board and ruin the story it'd not be their failt for writing, but mine for reading.

That is certainly true of the internet where most people that post reviews are keen on showing "Nyar Nyar Nyar Nyar Nyar, I know that Bruce Willis is [spoiler]actually dead [/spoiler] and that Soylent Green is [spoiler]humans[/spoiler]"

But in a film magazine, I'd expect the reviewer to be able to convey the essence of teh film without giving away the details.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Oh and so little of the Meg grabbed my attention that I think I'm going to have to force myself to read most of it.

(Except seeing Peter Doherty on art - yummy)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

I'm surprised there is no mention of the Badge and Comcom freebie in this thread... anyone else get them or are elsewhere on another thread and I'm not got to it yet?

Must admit the meg isn't buzzing like it did last year, here's hoping it picks up shortly

DDT did a job on me

ThryllSeekyr

Seeing this cover. Taking into consideration the use of lighting, shadow and colour....

I though this picture might have been inspired by Richard Corben. Whom I thought had a hand in doing the art for "Zombo". The cover --pictured above-- by my own reckoning had more than similarites to this earlier Richard Corbnen cover.

Until I noticed that picture --above-- actualley seems more cartooney.

Then you might notice that it's got the similer composition. Withe big beast like crautre, huge claws on each finger standing in the back ground.

About the contents.

I m lookig forward to reading the Glenn Fabry interview.

I've always wanted to know about his penjant for drawing leg wamrers and leotards on most of the females during his run of Slaine.
Not that I object to that. My first thoughts about this transgression in attiire was just another facet the anit-establishment back in the day when first clpped eyes on this.

I just wonder if Pat Mills wanted it this way when he gave Gleen Fabry his orders.in art direction. or is he just testing the boundries of how far he could possibly go creatively.

I'd love to own a wooden couch like the one he drew here

.[img]http://www.2000ad.org/covers/scans/thumbnails/524_thumb.jpg[/img

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: planetoid on 27 July, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
The Armitage graphic novel is missing the first two pages of the story.

And a credit to David Bishop as co-writer if memory of the original serves ...?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proper Dave

Um, no. David B's co-creator, and he's got a credit for that. For better or worse, the writing's all me.
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

dweezil2

Fine Meg this month. Not usually a fan of John Smith's interpretation of Dredd, but this latest effort is a corker, complimented by some astonishingly atmospheric Peter Doherty artwork.
I'm continuing to warm to Tank Girl too. Great art and a nice poignant touch to the story.
John Higgins work is always something to appreciate and his Meet Darren Dead art is no exception-nice quirky Rob Williams script too.
I personally enjoyed the articles this month, so no complaints from me about them.
Good stuff!

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo