Main Menu

MEG 311 : HE IS THE GORE!

Started by Buttonman, 21 May, 2011, 10:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Fair enough. Had forgotten that one.

Also, judges on power boards are officially very cool. Nice work, Alan and Boo!

ming

Quote from: King Trout on 22 May, 2011, 04:24:23 PM
Fair enough. Had forgotten that one.

Surely there are loads of Dredd though bubbles?  Off the top of my head, I remembered this one from The Warlord...

Anyway, will get home tomorrow so can't wait got sit down with the Prog and Meg double-whammy.

House of Usher

How do you parse that thought bubble on the cover of Prog 333?

Notice it's "Um... synthi-sausage!" like Dredd is, after a pause for thought, announcing the solution to the clue for 7 down in the Mega-Times crossword, rather than "Mmmm! Synthi-sausage." like Dredd is savouring the thought of eating hot snack food alfresco.
STRIKE !!!

mygrimmbrother

Jim - that raptor panel - what's it from? I need that comic!!!

Pete Wells

Don't want to derail the thread (further!) but what's the deal with thought bubbles? Are they not acceptable any more? I always kinda liked 'em and certainly saw nothing wrong with them. You often get to see what a character is thinking in a book so why not a comic?

radiator

We've had thought bubbles in Dredd as recently as Origins. True, Wagner tends to use narration captions rather than thought bubbles (which I think works better most of the time) he's not above using them from time to time.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Pete Wells on 22 May, 2011, 06:42:37 PM
Don't want to derail the thread (further!) but what's the deal with thought bubbles? Are they not acceptable any more?

They tend to be seen as an anachronism these days, though some writers still use them in a non-ironic fashion, most notably Dan Slott in Amazing Spider-Man.  The general consensus seems to be that first person narrative caption boxes are 'superior' to thought balloons, though I couldn't tell you why this might be the case.

Spaceghost

It wasn't the thought bubble itself that annoyed me, it was the fact that Dredd seems to have momentarily turned into Jeremy Clarkson.

'Think good thoughts about vegetarians'? I vote this the clumsiest, most out of character line of dialogue ever spoken (thought) by Judge Dredd. Why would he have anything against vegetarians? Stupid...

I did enjoy the rest of the story though. Even though it seems highly unlikely that guards posted on the MC1 wall would be armed with rifles pre-loaded with the anti-zombie vaccine. How often would that actually come in handy?

Great art from McCarthy though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

House of Usher

Quote from: Lee Bates on 23 May, 2011, 08:46:57 AM
I did enjoy the rest of the story though. Even though it seems highly unlikely that guards posted on the MC1 wall would be armed with rifles pre-loaded with the anti-zombie vaccine. How often would that actually come in handy?

Instead, why not equip judges on Cursed Earth missions with a hypodermic of zombie vaccine antidote just in case they get bitten? They could then administer it quicker instead of having to race back to the city before the zombie transformation takes effect.

*sigh* I suppose what it comes back down to is 'it's just stories.'
STRIKE !!!

mygrimmbrother

Dredd - Yep, the plot was a bit of a stretch but it was also classic bizarro old school fun, and having Brendan Mcarthy on art duties worked a treat.

Anderson - I start out forgetting why I love Boo's art but a couple of pages in and I remember. Gorgeous.

Numbercruncher - Haven't read it yet, haven't been in the mood. I think I'll do the lot in one go soon though.

Samizdat Squad - I enjoy Paul Marshall's art these days, much more than I used to, but the script felt a little insubstantial.

Haven't read any features yet. Overall, an above average meg, but not quite a stratospheric one.

Trout

On reflection, I'm not bothered about thought bubbles.

Whatever.

Good Meg, though. I liked Samizdat Squad, and I'm not just saying that to please Wyatt.  :)

radiator

All this talk about "Dredd as you've never seen him before"....?

Erm, I have. Because I've read City of the Damned...

Story itself was OK - pretty silly as others have said, and not a patch on Rob Williams previous Dredd story which was superb. It was more a showcase for the art than anything.

Haven't read it yet, haven't been in the mood. I think I'll do the lot in one go soon though.

Same here - there's a lot to like about Numbercruncher, but it's a bit too confusing to follow in monthly installments and I stopped reading it a few months back. I'll definitely be reading the lot in one go when it's done, though.

House of Usher

Quote from: radiator on 23 May, 2011, 10:50:02 AM
Story itself was OK - pretty silly as others have said

I'll drink to that. And I wouldn't mind seeing more such silly Dredd stories in future, which sounds contrary I know, but it's refreshing to see stuff now and then that doesn't feel strictly canon.
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

Quote from: Buttonman on 22 May, 2011, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: King Trout on 22 May, 2011, 03:34:37 PMBut... Dredd with a thought bubble? That grates. Sorry. Minor thing.
- Trout

AHHHH. My first ever prog. (with free Star Wars ROTJ sticker album).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.