Main Menu

MEG 204 :DARKIES MOB.

Started by mongor2003, 10 March, 2003, 09:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongor2003

Got the Meg early today - not read it yet, but Darkies Mob is in COLOUR this month (well, bits of it are).

Marbles

Forgive me I can bore for England on this :-)

Some of the pages in the original 1976/77 run in 'Battle' were in colour.

But the Meg reprints are based on the 1981 Battle reprints that were only in b&w, I think because they had nice handwritten lettering unlike the old-fashioned typed version in the originals.

HOWEVER some of the original run was never reprinted, not surprisingly given these issues featured some appalling scenes of violence in relation to their 9-10 tear old audience (personally I lapped it up!).

So the art from the original run has had to be used on a few episodes.

Weirdly I reckon the quality of the art in the Meg reprints looks a hell of a lot better on the odd occassion when the originals are used - so far only the Samurai fight episode in Meg 203 (havent seen 204 yet obv.)

Still I'm surprised they reprinted it in colour rather than in  greyscale etc. Cool.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

mongor2003

On the colour pages, you can even make out little bits of woodgrain from the original newsprint paper, Its not much but it still helps add to that lovely feeling that your reading an authentic "old" comic.

Oddboy

Yeah - it's a brilliant touch and makes you wish more re-print stuff could be as adaptable, mixing colour & black/white pages.
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

In that case I could definitely buy a Complete Dredd starting where the last series finished, 520 when the colour pages came in.  Megazine format would be cool by me.

Darkies Mob, once again, pretty damn exciting.

DavidXBrunt

I like the way this is going. It's like Wagner looked at his script and said 'Yeah, going well. But needs a little more. What can I add? I know! A monkey in a hat! That'll improve things no end."

And you know, there has never been a comic that couldn't have benefitted from a monkey in a hat.

mongor2003

DavidXBrunt

In fact I'd like to ammend that earlier statement. After discussing this with several people I now believe that there has never been a story written in the history of stories that couldn't have been improved by the inclusion of a Monkey in a Hat. Maybe not as a main character, maybe just a cameo, or a bit part. But all novels, even 'Emma' would be better for the inclusion of a Monkey in a Hat.

karne

"I now believe that there has never been a story written in the history of stories that couldn't have been improved by the inclusion of a Monkey in a Hat."

Can I take it you've not seen Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes remake then?

http://bz.berlin1.de/kino/arch/gifs/ch23affen2.jpg>
A monkey in a hat, yesterday.

DavidXBrunt

Okay, now re-imagine that story without any monkeys in hats.

'Planet of the Marky Mark wandering around looking at rocks. And some horses. For two hours. And then he goes home.'

Nowhere near as good as Planet of the Monkeys with Hats, is it?

Oddboy

Where did the monkey come from? Where did it go?

He just turned up with his hat in one episode & then was gone, no mention of him the next episode.

BRING BACK THE MONKEY IN THE HAT.

Oddboy

Hmmm - Revised Dr Suess: "The Cat And The Monkey In The Hat"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Even the Simpsons (I think) can be improved. Isn't there an episode where a monkey in a hat out-thinks Homer? I think the hat made the monkey more clever. It then asks for the hat to be destroyed becuase it feels like a freak. If I remember right, this scene took place on or near a river. Can anyone confirm this?
Lock up your spoons!

Oddboy

Scarey - it was on sky last night!  I missed most of it but I saw the monkey.

DavidXBrunt

Doc X - there is an episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets a helper monkey that would normally help people with disabilities and he almost kills it with neglect. With hilarious consequences.

The super-clever monkey with a hat that begs to die is from an episode of Futurama where Fry and Bender go to Mars University...

Odders, I'm sure the monkey was seen before, this was just his big chance to shine. Hopefully we'll see that little feller again.