Main Menu

Meg 220

Started by ukdane, 01 June, 2004, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrillpowerseeker

btw looking forward to your next column on Politics..should be a blinder..wonder whats in store for us?? ....as if we couldnt guess lol

LordSnooty

The front cover of this issue is one of the worst things I have ever seen in my life. The strip is even worse. I'm sorry, but it's just hideous - I can hardly stand to look at it. I think the computerised colouring and backdrops are vomit-inducing. Does anyone actually think it looks good? The line-art itself is ruined by being jaggy (presumably due to the method of drawing on a computer), and is mixed with absolutely dismal computerised images and bloody awful colours.

Liked Mega City Noir, that the best thing in this issue, to my mind. Very nice art and amusingly written.

I missed the 'original' run of Black Siddha, so I guess I'm missing something there. Unless it really is just indecypherable garbage.

Hell Trekkers is just more of the same. It should be shredded and flushed down the toilet.

I thought this issue was poor, on balance. I'm beginning to regret subscribing really. Not that I want to be Mr. Negative or anything.

dweezil2

The artwork's terrible? You havin' a laugh?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

thrillpowerseeker

Your being a bit unfair Lord Snooty..I have fond memories of rubbing Disney Robin Hood characters on a Weetabix box backdrop..

thrillpowerseeker

''As far as I know, there's only one scriptdroid who has Christian beliefs''

Hmm that would be Pat Mills right?..

LordSnooty

No, I'm not having a laugh. The cover artwork (and the artwork of the associated strip) is amongst the worst I have ever seen - mostly due to the dreadful backdrops, effects and colour.

I'm sure it would be much better if it had been drawn in pen & ink, rather than having been done on a computer. I know that the artist (John Ridgway) is capable of very good stuff. It's clearly a qualiy control problem. Does the editor not care that his pages look like crap? Brothers of the Blood in 2000ad was similarly ruined by an utterly appalling colour job that was totally unsuited to the artwork.

Again, I sound like Mr. Negative. Normally I have much nicer things to say.

Smiley

Damned Ranger's not all that bad. Forty pages of colour strip plus wrap-cover at the drop of a stetson is still pretty damn impressive, despite the obvious computerised dip in quality. The cover did it's job (look, subtext! How many covers boast that now?) and Ridgway's right back on Young Middenface as well soon? Poor blighter must be knackered.

Also liked the way Dounrey gets brought down to earth by a healthy dose of absurdity. I've enjoyed that story more than Mega-City Noir, which seems to want to be moody and daft at the same time, and the art succeeds at that with the ace bar fight and deadpan simp, but the internal dialogue tries way too hard. Only the intro episode though, so wait and see.

Black Siddha's in a lull, still apparently aiming to be a superhero version of East Is East and not even getting that far. Duffest episode yet. With any luck Rohan will fuck up even further and get sent to a different era simply as an excuse to give him something to do, worthy and exciting enough to settle his karmic wotsit.

Young Middenface gets a laugh for being so shameless, particularly the goulash lyric, but Mean Machine just seemed tired somehow. Another butt-frenzy and a new arbitrarily moody direction for Mean's character. About the only funny bit was where they knew he'd turn around.

Next month's will be worth the wait. Ooh, yes.

JTurner

This has to be the worst Meg in a long time. I agree entirely with lord snooty, here. Damned Ranger felt like purile nonsense with art that, if I had submitted it at a portfolio session, would have been turned away. Black Siddha was appaling, Mill's is just taking the piss here with some of his most lazy writing ever.

Garbage.

The Monarch

The bogie man!! the bogie man!! the bogie man!!

cursed earth coburn!! cursed earth coburn!!

anderson!! and other strips the end of june can't wait

comments on meg will come once i've read it

Dudley

Truly dreadful cover.

Mega-City Noir: somersaults the current high bar and dives over the horse of Dredd before rappeling down into a canyon of thrillpower.

Black Siddha: ducks and weaves among the Pillars of Unpredictability, before finally being caught like an electron in a Heisenberg equation of oscillatory uncertainty.

Mean Machine: dances daintily on tiptoes across a stage of pure Quality Marble, leaps high in the air for a Jetee of Emotion, and lands a little shakily on the uplands of comedy.

Judge Dredd: was shit.

Dudley

Metro Dredd.  Last strip, first panel.  Is "Horseflesh!" the most random future swearword ever invented?

Oddboy

I thought that Dudley...most curious!

Anyway - my thoughts on the rest of "Judge Mega" (Couldn't they have put the flag on the back cover? There's loads of space there, not really worthy of a wraparound IMO)

Dredd - exxxcellent. Dredd gives the muties a good thrashing. I watched X-men & X2 over the last couple of days (Woolworths had the 2disk each DVD boxset for ?20!) and was quite distressed at the positive light the mutants in those films were shown in. The only good mutie is a exiled/dead mutie. Go judges! The Digi-Ridgi is still a bit dodgy, mind!

Mean - fun-tastic. Very enjoyable tale.

Middenface - again, fun-tastic.

Mega-City Noir - Simon/Frazer* you spoil us!

Still not read Black Siddha 1 yet... and will read Charley's War on the bus home.

(*NB not Simon Fraser, but Spurrier/Irving)
Better set your phaser to stun.

dweezil2

Wasn't having a go at you, Lord Snooty. I was responding to Ryankango's criticism of Colin Macneil's work in the prog, wrongly posted on this thread. Havn't got the Meg yet-though i must say, i've also been disappointed with the computer aided work on Ridgeway's art-especially as his work is of such a high quality normally.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bad Andy

Got to say I wouldn't notice the Ridgway art if it wasn't for those bloody awful early 80s Heart of Gold h-wagons on the very first page. They are apalling . If it wasn't for them I wouldn't haveminded the artwork.
The story seems a bit odd though - dredd's all or nothing stance seems to be another 80s throwback. Hard to tell which is the classic thrill - this or Hell Trekkers.

Mega City Noir is fabulous though. Wittily written and drawn (a too rare coupling) - It really looks like good stuff.

Can't wait for the next Meg too looking at the 'coming next page'.

W. R. Logan

>Hell Trekkers is just more of the same. It should be shredded and flushed down the toilet

HellTrekkers is great, Rad-Wagons Ho.

Alan Barnes has cleared the decks and the next couple of Megs should see the Thrillpower flowing freely again.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.