Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 13 October, 2012, 09:18:10 PM
They were genius songwriters, even if they didn't turn out to be the new Lennon and McCartney (as they were apparently labeled when they first emerged) and Another Nail In My Heart is one of my all time favourites.

Aye, superb tune, that.
Always a little bit in the background, werent they, in regards to reward or recognition.
Still drawing decent crowds in the States, though. Which surprised me a little. Wouldnt have thought Deptford-isms would translate, but hey..

judgefloyd

on my own, in the car, I listen to 'The Eustace Diamonds', a Trollope novel read by Timothy West, whatever's on Radio National* and a bit of Manx Radio (whence I get all my modern music - I first heard that Gotye song on 'Jamys Jeheiney').  - When my son is in the car, we have to listen to a rotation of three bogan pop stations.  The only upside to that is that I get to hear Gangnam Style a bit

*lots of talking and ideas stuff

Professor Bear

NapalmKev

Killing God by Ultraviolence: had this for many years. Not an amazing album by any stretch, but it's got some real fine moments (if you like shouty/hardcore/gabba techno).

Destroyer by Static X: again not amazing. My mate classes them as industrial Metal, but they ain't no Ministry!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mudcrab

Quote from: NapalmKev on 16 October, 2012, 01:04:56 PM
Killing God by Ultraviolence: had this for many years. Not an amazing album by any stretch, but it's got some real fine moments (if you like shouty/hardcore/gabba techno).

Destroyer by Static X: again not amazing. My mate classes them as industrial Metal, but they ain't no Ministry!

Cheers  :)

They do a fine, if very similar, version of Burning Inside! Hmm, should be on the cover thread  ;)

The other week I was listening (live) to Nomeansno (still bloody fantastic, Rob must be in his 70s now!) and Voivod. Absolutely loved that, been a favourite for years and I've never seen them.

In contrast to the usual, I'm going to see 10cc on Saturday, then back to the other end of the spectrum in 2 weeks, another trip to London to see Pig Destroyer  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Mudcrab on 16 October, 2012, 01:16:09 PM
The other week I was listening (live) to Nomeansno (still bloody fantastic, Rob must be in his 70s now!)

Me too. I went to see them in Leeds a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic. It made me dig out all my old albums and I've been listening to them non-stop. You can't beat the fantastic trilogy of Madness and Death - Happy Bridge - Kill Everyone Now on Why Do They Call Me Mister Happy? Absolutely epic.

I've also been listening to a couple of albums by the hip hop crew, Dead Residents, featuring rapping by our beloved forumite, Judge Fett. I met him at the Dredd screening in London and he'd kindly brought them along as he knew I was a bit of a hip hop head.

Being perfectly honest, I didn't expect them to be this good. Phat (yes, phat) beats, excellent turntablism and plenty of funny and well used vocal samples. The rhymes are all excellent and the rapping is superb with many different styles on display.

Each track has it's own unique hook and stands apart with it's own voice. There's a real different flavour for each track ensuring you never get bored.

There is some excellent use of breaks and samples. One track which samples the '1, 2, 3, 4, 5' pinball song from Sesame Street had me nodding my head and smiling at strangers in the street.

Recommended to anyone who likes raw, pure hip hop.

Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

judda fett

Thanks Lee, very kind of you. I urge the forum to take note of Lee's impeccable taste in music heh.  ;)

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mikey

Quote from: Lee Bates on 16 October, 2012, 02:01:38 PM
You can't beat the fantastic trilogy of Madness and Death - Happy Bridge - Kill Everyone Now on Why Do They Call Me Mister Happy? Absolutely epic.

They have a way with words do they not? I had a Mr Happy t-shirt that I wore till it was more holes than shirt. I still miss it! And as an aside,when Mrs Mikey and me used to toot on a doobie now and again she could never say ' Madness and Death'. Another true story!

I've been listening to This Will Destroy You, whom I first heard an age ago on FB from some dude whose name sounds like bread I think, so I finally picked it up just last week. It's guitar music with a touch of the epic and not a million miles away from Sigur Ros's brand of slow build drone but without lyrics (nonsense or otherwise) or vocals. Lush! Also been giving Queen Adreena's Taxidermy a spin - yes Ush, it took me a while but see my above comment! - and it's brilliant too.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Spicy Biscuit

Friend recently got me mad into Goth Trad. Was enjoying it for the first time at a friend's session a few days ago. Stunning stuff.

Other than that the usual, getting back into Mogwai.

vzzbux

DORO. Angels never Die.
I fookin luv this album. Has to be the best in her discography (including her Warlock days).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

Been giving the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor a trial run. If you've heard one of their records before then it wont be much of a surprise but it's got some characteristically intense passages.

Also finally got a copy of the Voices from the Lake album which is pretty great when you turn it up loud enough. I still take perverse pleasure in tracking down records that I want, either online or in real life, rather than downloading them.

Some of these recent posts are tempting me to dig out that Nomeansno/Biafra collaboration.
We never really die.

Mudcrab

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 October, 2012, 10:01:15 PM
Been giving the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor a trial run. If you've heard one of their records before then it wont be much of a surprise but it's got some characteristically intense passages.

Also finally got a copy of the Voices from the Lake album which is pretty great when you turn it up loud enough. I still take perverse pleasure in tracking down records that I want, either online or in real life, rather than downloading them.

Some of these recent posts are tempting me to dig out that Nomeansno/Biafra collaboration.

That tempts me to just get it. Amazon tried to sell me it yesterday cos other people that pre-ordered the new Neurosis had too, but I'd already caved in in their attempts to sell me the new Converge. I got an older one of theirs recently which I liked a lot, like a mellower version of other things I like, such as the aforementioned Neurosis.

Also, there seems to be quite a sizable group of Nomeansno fans on here, that's at least 5! The Baifra one is awesome :D

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

klute

loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.