Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Ripley's kids were the ones used for the space Jockey scene? Awesome. I didn't know that.

Chris Tresson

The last movie I watched was Event Horizon but before that, I watched half an hour or so of Ender's Game... couldn't get into it at all.

JamesC

The Lair of the White Worm

A bit of forgotten classic from Ken Russell starring Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and Amando Donohoe (who makes a big impression as a seductive snake priestess).
The script is a bit clunky in places but the whole thing is great fun and I really like horror stories that tap into folklore.
I hadn't seen this film in years and I'd forgotten a lot of it (including the strap on death dildoes!) so it was nice to re watch it and for it to be as entertaining as I'd remembered.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 September, 2014, 03:52:20 PM
Ripley's kids were the ones used for the space Jockey scene? Awesome. I didn't know that.

Courtesy of Charles Lippincott:

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 21 September, 2014, 02:33:38 PM
The Lair of the White Worm

A bit of forgotten classic from Ken Russell starring Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and Amando Donohoe (who makes a big impression as a seductive snake priestess).
The script is a bit clunky in places but the whole thing is great fun and I really like horror stories that tap into folklore.
I hadn't seen this film in years and I'd forgotten a lot of it (including the strap on death dildoes!) so it was nice to re watch it and for it to be as entertaining as I'd remembered.

This was a video store favourite for my pre-pubescent Saturday night movie selection, and suffice to say Amanda Donohoe had a significant part to play in the awakening of certain...feelings.... :-[

Very entertaining movie regardless, I caught in on The Horror Channel a few weeks ago, and was surprised by how well it held up.
I only copped that Capaldi was in it on the most recent viewing too- he'd have made a decent doctor even back then!
A quick a Google has revealed the fact that Donohoe is only 52 years old, so she was in her mid-twenties when she made this. Blimey.

Apestrife

"The fault in our stars.". Very charming and also very sad. While I didn't cry (I don't do cry) I did ehem, become a bit connected with my feelings. All and all, I really liked it (despite almost forcing my emotions betray my manliness). Really good movie!

Hawkmumbler

Bit of an anithisis to my own opinions their Apestrife, frankly I thought it a sizeable turd.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sinister

Freaky. As scary as The Ring. My missus:"get that DVD out our house. I can't sleep knowing the disc is still here"
Lock up your spoons!

Apestrife

Quote from: Killer Hawk Queen on 22 September, 2014, 06:13:50 PM
Bit of an anithisis to my own opinions their Apestrife, frankly I thought it a sizeable turd.

Well it did actually feel a bit like a guilty pleasure watching it. Perhaps I was blinded by the sensation of feeling a bit sensitive or something (I'm a cold and calculated scandinav after all.) ;)

Link Prime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 September, 2014, 08:56:31 PM
Sinister

Freaky. As scary as The Ring.

Ah here now.

Ok, maybe the American remake.
The 2nd one.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

There used to be a thing they did on cyberspace message boards I used to visit (back in the days of dial-up and AOL discs as coasters) where they would write a story by committee, a genre and hero would be chosen, with someone writing a few lines before passing it on to the next random person who wanted to contribute the next few lines. Sometimes it produced highly enjoyable, if slightly wonky stories. Invariably a proto-troll would ruin it by typing "And then everthing blew-up! THE END!"

I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
You may quote me on that.

Recrewt

Sinister

Freaky. As scary as The Ring. My missus:"get that DVD out our house. I can't sleep knowing the disc is still here"

HaHa! Sinister is a great movie and there is something very disturbing about those old films he finds. Does a good job of building a sense of dread and gets under your skin a bit (like a good horror should).  :thumbsup:

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Recrewt on 22 September, 2014, 09:47:48 PM
Sinister

HaHa! Sinister is a great movie and there is something very disturbing about those old films he finds. Does a good job of building a sense of dread and gets under your skin a bit (like a good horror should).  :thumbsup:

You really need to have kids to appreciate the horror. It's a good tension builder that doesn't rely on gore or jumps.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

A couple of films I lazily half-watched from the couch over the weekend. In both cases, I don't think missing the first half hour caused me any issues with the plot but I may have missed some of the spectacle.

I didn't see Pacific Rim at the pictures because I thought it looked utter nonsense. Turns out I was totally right about that but completely wrong to consider it an obstacle. The highest praise I can give it is that the unfolding of each utterly predictable plot point makes you smile/cheer (delete according to enthusiasm) rather than groan. Plus there are some genuinely funny action bits.

I didn't see Taken 2 at the pictures because I thought it looked utter nonsense. Stripped of the novelty of Liam Neeson takin' out the trash and helmed by a director with an even shorter attention span than the first, I guess I was right. The unfolding of each utterly predictable plot point isn't even accompanied by enough action to raise a smile. Although I did think setting off hand grenades in a major metropolitan centre as a means of rangefinding was fairly awesome.
We never really die.

DaveGYNWA

I watched In Time (Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Cillian Murphy) the other night. That's 109 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?